Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Interim oil change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
transman

Interim oil change

I have a six month old D3 diesel @ 8000miles. Normal oil change is 15k miles or one year. Oil in an engine for one year and that many miles seems a long time to me, or have`nt I caught up with new technology, and can I trust it anyway.
I need advice on whether it would be beneficial to change the oil myself ( not the filter) and use Halfords Castrol 5w-30.
I can get to a pit, is the plate below the sump easy to get off, and if it is, will I recognise the drain plug from all the other boltheads and the like that may well be there.
Any advice would be really welcome.

Post #2369518th Oct 2005 6:39 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The plate is easy, you won't even have to jack it up, just raise the suspension. Although to be abolutely safe when under the car a set of axle stands will be required.

The drain is obvious. The filter is, I believe, under the top acoustic cover. I have not changed my filter myself.

You will find it easier to get oil into the engine with a funnel.

DO NOT OVERFILL THE ENGINE!!! IT WILL NOT LIKE IT.

Fill it slowly until you have a reading on the dipstick, then fill even slower and allow plenty of time for the oil to get down to the sump. The sump is a tall affair, and as such it takes little extra oil to move up the dipstick a lot. It is easy to overfill by rushing it.

The oil supplied by Land Rover is not too expensive, and says "Specifically for the Discovery 3" on the bottle, but the oil they use in services is violently ridiculously expensive ! (see my other post - Ripped Off).

Post #2369818th Oct 2005 6:50 pm
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I did the same thing at 7,500 miles, using Castrol Magnatec 5/30. Dealer advised changing the sump drain plus as well, because it has a built-in sealing ring, and only intended to be used once. They only cost about £2.

Post #2385519th Oct 2005 7:16 pm
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Sorry, that should be sump plug, not plus!

Post #2385619th Oct 2005 7:17 pm
transman

Job done this weekend. No problems found, and changed sump plug as per stingrays advice.
Thanks for the help !

Post #2473524th Oct 2005 7:55 pm
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Could some of the LR experts offer some help with this issue.

15,000 miles is a very long time between oil changes even with modern additives and especially with a new engine. Would it be a good idea to change the oil and filter early in the engine life - say at 1,000 miles and then every 6,000 miles thereafter. Ditto the transmission although I have to say haveing just done a ZF24 box at its regular change interval on a BMW recently I was amazed at how well the oil looked at felt and how little material was trapped in either the oil or the filter.

I am wondering whether the whole oil and oil changes issues have become governed by manufacturers who only need to worry about the first 60,000 miles trying to extend the service intervals for the warrenty period rather than specifiying service intervals that ensure maximum motor life and best engine operation.

When you look at the cost of extra oil changes it is miniscule compared to the probability of much better engine life.

Post #3884624th Jan 2006 7:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >