Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Ipod connection in Base Spec car - the easy way to do it....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>
kariylit

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi

Please, can anyone help me to locate right wires from picture, pic is at my gallery.

Thanks for your help in advance

Kari

Post #49670717th Jul 2009 6:37 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You will find the wires in the top of the right hand connector.

The position of your connectors is swapped, (maybe because you drive on the wrong side of the road Laughing )

See:

Click image to enlarge

CFB wrote:
I know this question has been asked on a regular basis so I thought I would share the easy way to do it. I completed the job today in under 40 minutes with a pair of side cutters and a soldering iron. Here's how...

1. Remove the passenger side front kickpanel trim (unscrew the bonnet release handle first then pull firmly toward the centre console).

2. Locate the grey multiplug which is the middle of the three.

3. Unplug the 2 halves of the connector and carefully remove the blue, red and black wires from the block (they are held in with clips so a small flat blade screwdriver should do the trick).

Note: These wires terminate here and are only used if the LR DVD system is fitted so you won't cause any problem by disconnecting them.

4. Using a standard commercially available 3.5mm stereo extension lead (Maplins etc) simply solder the lead into the red blue and black wires. Red and blue are left and right channel and black is ground/screen.

5. Route the cable to your chosen location (mine runs to the front of the centre console near the 12v lighter plug etc but you could run it to the centre console stowage box or anywhere conveniant)

6. Re-fit the trim plate, plug in the ipod or other aux audio source, enjoy Smile Smile Smile

Pics are in my gallery
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #49671117th Jul 2009 6:51 am
kariylit

Thanks caverD3,

took out right side panel and there are connectors as in your pic, but this is getting weird, there are no wires like that either on right side. There are no red, blue and black wire at same set or multiplug.

I think i have to take cd-400 unit out to check is there back that wiring. Any tips how to take the unit out?

Thanks for your help,

Kari

Post #49677317th Jul 2009 9:59 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

You can tap into the wires at the back of the radio unit too Thumbs Up

First you need to remove the H shape trim with air vents that surrounds the radio, just pull the bottom 2 sides firmly towards you. Then you will see the radio held in with torx screws, you need to remove the hazard switch panel first are they are locked together
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #49677817th Jul 2009 10:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kariylit

Thanks for tips!

Took the trim and torx screws out but it seems to be still locked, is there some clips or trick how to take it out?

Kari

Post #49753820th Jul 2009 7:02 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

I seem to remember that you have to remove the heater controls below the radio too as that is locked into he case of the radio with a plastic tab.
Post #49755920th Jul 2009 8:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
daveyd

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Re: Ipod connection in Base Spec car - the easy way to do it

CFB wrote:
I know this question has been asked on a regular basis so I thought I would share the easy way to do it. I completed the job today in under 40 minutes with a pair of side cutters and a soldering iron. Here's how...

1. Remove the passenger side front kickpanel trim (unscrew the bonnet release handle first then pull firmly toward the centre console).

2. Locate the grey multiplug which is the middle of the three.

3. Unplug the 2 halves of the connector and carefully remove the blue, red and black wires from the block (they are held in with clips so a small flat blade screwdriver should do the trick).

Note: These wires terminate here and are only used if the LR DVD system is fitted so you won't cause any problem by disconnecting them.

4. Using a standard commercially available 3.5mm stereo extension lead (Maplins etc) simply solder the lead into the red blue and black wires. Red and blue are left and right channel and black is ground/screen.

5. Route the cable to your chosen location (mine runs to the front of the centre console near the 12v lighter plug etc but you could run it to the centre console stowage box or anywhere conveniant)

6. Re-fit the trim plate, plug in the ipod or other aux audio source, enjoy Smile Smile Smile

Pics are in my gallery

Hi there,

I've been having a go at installing the AUX connection as above and I've a couple of questions, if you don't mind (I think I'm just a bit wary of messing things up!)

Anyway, I've removed the top half of the connector, but for the life of me I can't get the 3 wires (Red,Blue,Black) out - I've released the orange thingy on the bottom too, pulled and tugged but the wires won't budge - is it ok just to chop them off, or am I doing something wrong?

The other question is about the 3.5mm extension lead - I chopped off the end and what I have are red, yellow and white wires, am I after getting the wrong cable, as I've read some of the other posts and they mention insulation coverings and Left & Right wiring etc

I suppose what I'm asking is if I do have the right extension lead what should I solder to what? And if I don't what should I solder to what when I get the right cable?

Apologies for the possibly thick questions, I just really want the iPod in my LR3 Very Happy

Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Dave.

Post #7141999th Nov 2010 8:00 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

It's fine to chop the wires, they don't go anywhere (unless you have the roof mounted DVD)

As for the colours of the 3.5mm lead, you need to use a meter to identify which is the ground really
Post #7142119th Nov 2010 8:14 pm
daveyd

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Hi Andy,

thanks very much for getting back to me so soon - no DVD player so that's ok and I'll check out the wires with a meter.

Cheers,
Dave.

Post #7143099th Nov 2010 10:45 pm
StewyC

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Just finished and have a few notes

~) I used the stock LR parts. (aux in panel: XVO500020, 12v Outlet: YXW 500090PVJ)

~) I used a modified PC CDR interface cable to connect to the female wiring harness on the back of the aux panel. (these can be found inside that dead PC in your basement and are easy to modify)

~) Pins on the LR wiring harness are: (from left to right) 1x 2x 3=Right 4=Left 5=Ground 6x

~) Connected to the harness on the back of the factory head unit. There are two harnesses into the back of the radio. One is stuffed full with all the speaker outs and power, the other is rather empty (only 4 wires). On the empty one I tapped into the wires connected to pins 6 ground, 7 left and 8 right.

~) Be sure to assemble the lighter retaining ring and socket body together before installing into the aux panel. (power for the 12v outlet is already routed at the factory

Hope my experience helps someone. I left out all the installation details because they are already found elsewhere in the forum (and they are quite good)

Pictures of the parts and the makeshift harness are in my gallery.

Post #90837212th Mar 2012 3:25 pm
Rob_whp

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just following this mod with interest. I've got a HSE - is there a hole in the back of the radio for an aux ? or do I have to do this mod. (i've been using the one at the back of the centre cubby but getting fed up with trailing wires)

Rob

Post #90848112th Mar 2012 6:42 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

This mod was designed for base model cars with no factory aux input panel, don't think connections will be the same for the high end unit on the HSE

Post #90848412th Mar 2012 6:46 pm
whamber1

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Tech Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
YES!!!

This is the boll Censored Censored Ks, took about half an hour. Works like a treat. I'm. Not the best at doing things but instructions were spot on. I couldn't get the connectors out of the multiblock so I stripped about 5mm of insulation off each wire and soldered on my 3.5 mm jack plug wires. Heat shrunk them all and tested. Works a treat.
Thank you
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #93434722nd May 2012 7:55 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 

Came across this tip, so thought I'd give it a go, only having a GS Spec. Twenty minutes and a 3 meter cable from Maplins, and job done. The instructions are spot on, even for a ten thumb jockey like myself. I fed the cable around the edge of the carpet, where it meets the bottom of the glove box, down the passenger side of the transmission tunnel, it tucks out of sight nicely, around to the drivers side. There I fed it up the bottom of the H panel, which is the only piece of wire that shows. I went for the cable with a socket on one end, which is now all thats on view. When I connect my Ipod i use a twin ended jack plug cable. Thumbs Up
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #9519308th Jul 2012 1:00 pm
bulletman

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gday All,

just wondering, someone has done this mod on my car, and it must be from the back of the stereo, but the sound is woefull. You need to turn the volume right up to hear the music and there is alot of background noise.

I thought I would try this mod anyway, but get nothing.

Any idea's

many thanks

Post #96090731st Jul 2012 9:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >