Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Ipod connection in Base Spec car - the easy way to do it....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>
CFB

United Kingdom 
Ipod connection in Base Spec car - the easy way to do it....

I know this question has been asked on a regular basis so I thought I would share the easy way to do it. I completed the job today in under 40 minutes with a pair of side cutters and a soldering iron. Here's how...

1. Remove the passenger side front kickpanel trim (unscrew the bonnet release handle first then pull firmly toward the centre console).

2. Locate the grey multiplug which is the middle of the three.

3. Unplug the 2 halves of the connector and carefully remove the blue, red and black wires from the block (they are held in with clips so a small flat blade screwdriver should do the trick).

Note: These wires terminate here and are only used if the LR DVD system is fitted so you won't cause any problem by disconnecting them.

4. Using a standard commercially available 3.5mm stereo extension lead (Maplins etc) simply solder the lead into the red blue and black wires. Red and blue are left and right channel and black is ground/screen.

5. Route the cable to your chosen location (mine runs to the front of the centre console near the 12v lighter plug etc but you could run it to the centre console stowage box or anywhere convenient)

6. Re-fit the trim plate, plug in the ipod or other aux audio source, enjoy Smile Smile Smile

Pics are in my gallery

Last edited by CFB on 12th Mar 2012 7:47 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #416018th Feb 2006 2:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Moved to tips and tricks Wink 8)
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #416038th Feb 2006 2:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
OffRoader

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Which Rapio type excatly ?

Great hint. In order to ensure that I really have the same Radio version as you, could take a picture of your desk with Radio+CD player also and attach it into your gallery ?

Do you have base model, S model or SE ?

Offroader
 -- too many modifications made to my Disco 3 to be listed in here --  
Post #416098th Feb 2006 3:07 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I have the Base Spec 7 seater, have added pics to gallery. It really is easy this way. It can also be done by connecting into the back of the radio unit but that involves stripping out half the dash!!!
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #416138th Feb 2006 3:22 pm
MVS

Sounds like it shouldn't make a difference which radio spec you have, so long as you dont have the LR dealer fit DVD, ?? or are these tails used for the Sat Nav DVD?

Post #416428th Feb 2006 8:00 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I thinkthat with the higher spec radio's fitted to the S/SE/HSE, you will already have an AUX input socket in the rear of the centre console so won't need to do this anyway.
Post #416438th Feb 2006 8:03 pm
MVS

Yup, but having one in the front is a lot more handy than the one on the back of the armrest unit and a trailing lead.

Post #416448th Feb 2006 8:06 pm
Husky

Australia 

Hey Andy nice work on the Ipod connection. When I was looking at the pics in your gallery I noticed the Land Rover splash screen on your Tom Tom. Could you please tell me how you managed that as I am soon to purchase one of the Tom Tom range here in Australia. Many thanks Smile

Post #416528th Feb 2006 9:23 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 
Splash Screen

In answer to the question about getting the LR logo onto the splash screen, have a look at the link below which takes you through how to do it (dead easy!) Smile

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32171#32171
Post #417299th Feb 2006 9:53 am
ArcFro

Finland 

Andy,

what is your radio's model code (CD-400)? I'm asking this just to make sure if I have same housing in my car.

furthermore, does wiring of these electronic's vary if car is either left- or righthand driven?

Post #417459th Feb 2006 12:21 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

It is a CD-400, I have no idea if the wiring is different for LHD/RHD sorry. The place to check is the LR GTR site where I got the info from initially.

I guess the simple way to check is to remove the kickpanels in both driver and passenger footwells as I did, there are multiconnectors in both but the one you need is fed by a thick black wire containing red blue and black inner cores, there was a similar wire in the drivers side but the cores were red and black which is the alarm ultrasonics.
Post #417469th Feb 2006 12:25 pm
ArcFro

Finland 

Many thanks Andy Exclamation Very Happy

This is great help since our local organisation don't seem to have any knowledge in this issue.

I had in my previous car MD-player. Since it is not an option by LR, I think this your solution is best alternative!

Post #417479th Feb 2006 12:39 pm
Husky

Australia 
Re: Splash Screen

cotefarmboy wrote:
In answer to the question about getting the LR logo onto the splash screen, have a look at the link below which takes you through how to do it (dead easy!) Smile

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32171#32171

I will be sure to use this information when I get the Tom Tom, thanks again for your help Very Happy

Post #417889th Feb 2006 8:46 pm
MalBow

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
AUX socket in base 7

Is it not even easier to do the same thing where the aux plug is in the higher models? ie behind the centre console/cubby box. If you remove the panels under the air outlets in the back there are 3 plugs there, 1 is 12v and i presume the others are for the aux plugs on the higher models and therefore hopefully connected to the aux inlet on the radio head unit?

Post #4203112th Feb 2006 10:46 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Not looked there but I doubt it's that easy. The place I connected into in the kickpanel contains the connections that run back up to the stereo and they terminated there. If there are connectors in the centre console I don't know where they go to?
Post #4203212th Feb 2006 10:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >