Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Ipod Device Error - 5 times now!! No cause established yet.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gekko

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Ipod Device Error - 5 times now!! No cause established yet.

Hi folks.

I'm a very content D4 owner and I haven't had any major problems yet. Although this particular minor issue causes immense frustration when I'm really in the mood to listen to my favourite music or when my kids are screaming for their song choices.

My Ipod is usually left plugged in most of the time and these days I'm plugging my iphone in. Within the first few months, a "device error" window appeared on the dash screen, and I wasn't able to use the Ipod for a couple of weeks. One random day, the connection worked again. This happened a month or so after and co-incidentally, one of the rear electric windows was bouncing too.

The vehicle was booked in for inspection under warranty and I was informed that both symptoms were due to a necessary software upgrade requirement - so this was done and everything was fine.

A month later, same problem - "device error" - I booked the vehicle in at another dealership (it was due for service too) and to my amazement, I was informed that the technician didn't know what to do and that they would have to contact LR for advice!! Service was done though.

So I booked it in again at the first dealership - after an hour or so of investigation, I was told that my Ipod may be infected with a virus - that everything was working fine with their test device and that I should wipe my Ipod & re-sync with Itunes. So things were fine up until this week. Same screen prompt appeared "device error".

I've booked it in for the 3rd time at the same dealership - this time I've demanded that the technician do a thorough investigation and I believe there is a loose connection somewhere between the Ipod connector in the armrest to the screen dash.

Anyone else have this problem? Can you please advise?

Thanks!!

Post #73619223rd Dec 2010 11:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

soft reset on the ipod has solved it for me so far...happened about 4 times. I leave it hooked up all the time too and I was wondering if it happened more often when cold? Presumably the ipod isn't specced to cope with sub-zero temps?
 d4 HSE  
Post #73622423rd Dec 2010 1:26 pm
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

On another car (BMW) I had an iPod interface and left plugged in permanently (as I do on D4 now). Every now and then the connection would fail. However, the iPod would also lock up (freeze) even when disconnected from the interface. Does yours do this?

Soft reset would reset the iPod and would work again afterwards.

On the D4 I leave the iPod connected for music and use the phone connected via Bluetooth with a charger cable to the 12v socket.

Post #73688524th Dec 2010 7:04 pm
Gekko

Hi chaps & seasons greetings.

Haven't tried soft reset yet but why would the connection remain faulty using my iphone as well?

Also, nothing to do with the weather - first time this happened was in June! Confused

Post #73725425th Dec 2010 11:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gekko

stick wrote:
soft reset on the ipod has solved it for me so far...happened about 4 times. I leave it hooked up all the time too and I was wondering if it happened more often when cold? Presumably the ipod isn't specced to cope with sub-zero temps?

Just tried this and it's back to normal - at least in that it connects to the iPod. Still shows up as "device error" if I try to connect my iPhone. Weird. Any cause established???

Post #73843629th Dec 2010 3:14 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

there are 3 TSBs

LTB0299
LTB0334
LTB0335
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #73853529th Dec 2010 7:56 pm
spuddybaby

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hello all.
I have the same problem.
Had my D4 for a month now and 2 saturdays ago we took a drive listening to the ipod.
I have a first gen Nano hooked up to it permanently.

It worked fine all day and then at abour 4 ish it got a device error.
Sometime the connection was lost, or it would play a song but as son as you tried to browse the screen would freeze.
Also the timer for the song length would go fast and slow and not in real time.

Its booked in to the dealers for next WEdnesday, as we took it last week and they guy who had a lok then concluded it was connection problem, as neither the nano, or our iPhones 4 worked!

Annoying really as have just bought a 160GB ipod for the car so i have all my music available, rather than just 4 GB worth!

Post #76010111th Feb 2011 3:33 pm
jhave

Luxembourg 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Device error

I did have a "device error" from time to time, shortly after delivery of the car. The dealer found out that the cable wasn't plugged in properly (the cable from box to stereo).

Since then, my iPod has been unable to connect on two occasions, but rebooting it did the trick.

Post #83645218th Sep 2011 11:42 pm
jhave

Luxembourg 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Gekko wrote:
stick wrote:

Just tried this and it's back to normal - at least in that it connects to the iPod. Still shows up as "device error" if I try to connect my iPhone. Weird. Any cause established???

Try to restart the iPhone. Solved the issue for me.

Post #83645318th Sep 2011 11:43 pm
dkj101

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi, I've had the same problem with my ipod connection, I took it into my dealer who found a lose connection (apparently inside the arm rest on the reverse side of were you plug your ipod cable into), the connection hadn't been seated correctly, they re-seated it and it's worked fine since....

Post #8423171st Oct 2011 7:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >