More on ipods...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Forgot to mention I'm a geek too. Wink
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #3271613th Dec 2005 10:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

The Alpine vehicle hub is completely standalone. The "brain" has a video and audio output you need to connect to something. You can "connect" it to the Navigation display using the expensive Nav-TV "tuner hack."

And yes... to operate the system, you'd need to use the included wireless remote (or optional "rear passenger touch panel monitors.") Not exactly what most people would want.

Alpine VehicleHub:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading...h_vhub.htm

I've seen this system installed in various vehicles.

Post #3272613th Dec 2005 10:50 pm
Mossy

grommet wrote:
The Alpine vehicle hub is completely standalone. The "brain" has a video and audio output you need to connect to something. You can "connect" it to the Navigation display using the expensive Nav-TV "tuner hack."

To operate the system, you'd need to use the included wireless remote (or optional "rear passenger touch panel monitors.") Not exactly what most people would want.

Alpine VehicleHub:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading...h_vhub.htm

I've seen this system installed in various vehicles.

That's what I suspected. I have the Nav TV MOST bypass and was going to use this instead of the Alpine bypass. My solution however was to use a laptop as the brain and micro track ball on the steering column for control. WiFi link to my home server / network for up and down loading material + internet through the GPRS card. TV digital and analogue through PCMCI and bluetooth internals for keyboard etc. Not touch screen but the computer interface can me controlled from the steering column.

Messy on paper but... waiting for iPOD adaptors and other accessories is like waiting for hell to freeze over.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #3273613th Dec 2005 10:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

eh? Confused

Post #3274013th Dec 2005 11:01 pm
Mossy

10forcash wrote:
eh? Confused

It's very late... dont really understand it myself... but I'm sure it'll all make sense one day...
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #3276013th Dec 2005 11:13 pm
mjennings

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
More on ipods...

Guy wrote:

I've now definitely decided that the screen will live above the glove box handle and I'll be using the adhesive pads rather than the screw option. I need to find a continuous power feed and an ingnition switched feed near the passenger footwell and finally install the main module there.

As soon as I do the final fit, I'll post more photos.

I'm also considering purchasing the Drive+Play and appreciate the photos you've posted so far. I was wondering if you had tried placing the screen in the frontmost cubby hole in the center console under the main ashtray? I don't know if there's enough room there but it would be inconspicuous and (hopfully) viewable.

Mike

Post #363116th Jan 2006 2:17 am
Guy

United Kingdom 

I think there's enough space but, because of the way the screen mounts (on a small swivel bracket), it may be tricky to install. I'll take a look and let you know.

Post #363446th Jan 2006 9:58 am
mjennings

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Thanks Guy, your photos helped. I went ahead and installed the controller the same way you installed yours and installed my screen under the ashtray. I removed the bracket on the screen and it tucks nicely in that space. I'm probably going to make a wooden block to provide more support. I also ran the audio and 12v electrical to the back of the center console and soldered to the "aux" and 12v socket for a solid fit. The entire project took about 6-7 hours as I had to remove the entire center console (which isn't very fun). I've got photos in my gallery if you'd like to take a look.

Mike

Post #4377423rd Feb 2006 1:49 am
Guy

United Kingdom 

Mike - those are great photos and I like the location for the control box: that's really neat. Mind you, I'm a bit dubious about taking the centre console out and getting charged $180 (which will, of course, be £180 here) by the dealer to unlock the park brake!

One question - did you give the d+p both 12v feeds (permanent and switched)? My unit is still running on the cigarette lighter adapter feed, and I find that it drops some of its settings when powered down.

Big money to the first person who can feed the d+p video to the satnav screen!

Post #4383523rd Feb 2006 11:07 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Guy wrote:

But the d&p screen is an LCD so driven by data not video... you'd need a clever box of tricks to do that... I think Shocked

Post #4384123rd Feb 2006 11:14 am
Guy

United Kingdom 

Yes. It was more wishful thinking than anything on my part.

Now get back in your box of Apples... Wink

Post #4394723rd Feb 2006 5:42 pm
10forcash

simon wrote:
Guy wrote:

But the d&p screen is an LCD so driven by data not video... you'd need a clever box of tricks to do that... I think Shocked
Didn't Woodman get it to accept a video input? although he had to use the test function to get it to display....  
Post #4399023rd Feb 2006 8:34 pm
grommet

United States 

There are 3 video inputs on the rear of the Touchscreen, but that won't make the Drive+Play output video. Very Happy

(FYI: The video inputs are selectable in "test" only; you can enable one outside of test using the costly Nav-TV "TV" video input hack.)

Post #4401723rd Feb 2006 9:34 pm
10forcash

yer, sorry Embarassed thinking the wrong way round again Sad

Post #4401823rd Feb 2006 9:37 pm
Mossy

NAV TV Adpaptor

For info. really and apologies if not too techie... or if it should be a new thread, but this seems apopular thread at the mo. Anyway, this is what I was told recently by my Dealer regarding the NAV-TV adaptor.

Part of the NAV-TV MOST adaptor install is to bypass the CAN bus, which prevented the dealer from getting the infotainment system to accept a down load to 'fix' another problem they were recitfying. After disconnecting it, it accepted the download, however, they were reluctant to reconnect it and infact isnt at the moment isnt.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #4412824th Feb 2006 9:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >