Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

More on ipods...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
mjennings

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Guy wrote:
Mike - those are great photos and I like the location for the control box: that's really neat. Mind you, I'm a bit dubious about taking the centre console out and getting charged $180 (which will, of course, be £180 here) by the dealer to unlock the park brake!

One question - did you give the d+p both 12v feeds (permanent and switched)? My unit is still running on the cigarette lighter adapter feed, and I find that it drops some of its settings when powered down.

Regarding the removal of the center console, perhaps a better idea is to talk to a LR technician ahead of time to see which plug/sockets shouldn't be removed in order to prevent that code reset issue. It's really a great location for the brain.

I didn't use a seperate full time feed as I just didn't want to tap into any other wires (other than the rear cigarette lighter). I'm sure I could have found a good connection behind a kick panel, but I didn't go that far. So far my D+P holds the memory for a couple of days and I drive my car at least that often so it's not been a problem. If it does become a problem, I may decide to change it later.

Mike

Last edited by mjennings on 26th Feb 2006 3:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4419824th Feb 2006 5:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark D

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Grommet,

I've got a technical question for you that I started pondering while talking to someone at the LR dealership yesterday. They've started receiving LR3s with Sirius installed, and of course it connects in to the factory head unit. It is accessed through the "Aux" button which apparently has two settings - one that is used by the Sirius unit and one that still links the to the Aux jack in the backseat.

How do you suppose that the iPod hack that is rumored to be coming from Nav-TV will connect in to the head unit of an LR3 that already has the "factory" satellite radio option? Do you think there's a possibility that only one can be connected to the Logic 7 head unit - i.e. us consumers will have to chose between the Sirius or the iPod if we want it directly linked to the head unit?

TIA,
Mark D

Post #4444426th Feb 2006 10:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

Nav-TV hasn't stated what the limitations are for their forthcoming iPod support hack. You will note that the native satellite radio (SDARS) support has "SAT1" and "SAT2" -- and, normally, they are the same. Maybe the hack uses "SAT2" for the iPod SDARS emulator... and "SAT1" continues to work for Sirius? I guess we'll see if they ever ship.

Post #4449726th Feb 2006 7:11 pm
alinton

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
I've now definitely decided that the screen will live above the glove box handle

Couldn't you fit the Drive&Play screen into one of the dash air vents? Clip out the louvres and sit it in there - it looks to me like it would be a good fit. The position down by the ashtray is too far out of driving visibility, I think.

Today I fitted a Nokia car kit to a D3, its the kit with a telephone-type handset and a little display. The display was fitted on the right of the steering wheel on the diagonal vent, the handset on the left dash vent with a vent mount. Looks great - no cables in view. The car kit brains is at the back of the centre console behind the box.

Post #4454926th Feb 2006 11:29 pm
mjennings

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

alinton wrote:
Quote:
I've now definitely decided that the screen will live above the glove box handle

Couldn't you fit the Drive&Play screen into one of the dash air vents? Clip out the louvres and sit it in there - it looks to me like it would be a good fit. The position down by the ashtray is too far out of driving visibility, I think.

Today I fitted a Nokia car kit to a D3, its the kit with a telephone-type handset and a little display. The display was fitted on the right of the steering wheel on the diagonal vent, the handset on the left dash vent with a vent mount. Looks great - no cables in view. The car kit brains is at the back of the centre console behind the box.

I checked and the Drive+Play display is too large to fit into the dash vent. You could mount it on the outside but then you'd really lose the use of the vent.

Post #456775th Mar 2006 4:22 am
jpi3418

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Bought the Belkin unit , plugged in the 2m minijack to minijack connector, and plugged that into the Aux socket behind the centre console storage bin, and all worked perfectly. No issues with low volume, just a cheap and very effective solution for those of us who don't want to spend loads of cash just yet. Once Dension come up with a good solution for the Discovery 3 that allows one to use the steering wheel controls for volume and track selection, and displays the track details on the centre console screen, that'll be the one to go for. Until then this solution does the trick nicely. Very Happy
 2005 D3 TdV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
2010 D4 3.0 TdV6 SE Stornoway Grey
2014 D4.5 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze 

Post #626538th Jun 2006 4:10 am
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I completely agree with that... You can even see pictures in my gallery... Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #626558th Jun 2006 6:21 am
TN-LR3

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Re: More on ipods...

DrLex wrote:
I notice that the supplier of audio kit to some of the Discovery3 models, Harman Kardon, is offering an ipod controller with a screen -see here

Perhaps they might be considering a similar version where the output is on the audio screen? I've sent an email regarding such, but won't be holding my breath for an answer.

i have this right now in my LR3, the screen is were my GPS screen would be if i had it
 05 LR3 SEV8HD-warn 9.5xp,LR lights,LR rack,LR a-frame bar,cooper stt 275/65/r18,masterpull 3/8 winchline, xm radio
05 RR WESTMINSTER- 1 out of 300 

Post #6308911th Jun 2006 8:49 pm
b811ac1

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've mounted my Drive and play screen where the sat nav should be, I think it looks ok (see my gallery for more), control knob is where everyone else has put it, ipod is in the passenger glove box, the brain is duck taped behind the glove box, next to the fuse box.

Plugged the brain into the aux connection under the passenger kick plate, noise is a little quieter than the radio but not by much. Highly recommended mod.

Tone.

Post #2575119th Feb 2008 9:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >