Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

irish commercial disco3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mashermor

Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 4
irish commercial disco3

Has anyone taken the fabric off the rear passenger windows on the commercial disco3 as done in Ireland , are they the same as the U.K.ones ???? I want to do this , as visibity when reversing out into traffic is dire , and is positively dangerous , when you arrive at a junction of more than 90 degrees, you have to drive almost into the middle of the road to get an angle to look the other way for oncoming traffic !! . They fix the windows with a carpet, and disconnect the electric motors for them over here. {they leave all the electrical gear inplace, so should be able to get the windows working again } Just wondered if anyone else has done this , and can give me a few tips Smile Crying or Very sad
 The man who admits his mistake... he is a wise man.The man who admits his mistake ... even when he is right... he is a married man.  
Post #28977321st Apr 2008 10:47 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Terry

I know Barry & Marcon definitely have , Rib on aswell , give them a pm and Im sure thelads will give you a few pointers.Pity they do such a Censored job of blanking the doors Rolling Eyes

Post #28978321st Apr 2008 11:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi terry

Under the carpet is a metal plate and then they have painted the windows black...just to be sure!!!!

I havent done it myself yet...its on the list.... but I got a peak at alinton s Disco and it can be done. You have to replace some of the interior window trim after you are done as they cut it ot get the plate in. no big expense I imagine. Then get the paint off and you get the windows tinted properly for your own privacy.

Give him a pm, he's very helpful.

best of luck

Post #28978821st Apr 2008 11:07 pm
BarryG

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Terry

Its a pain in the ring , but it can be done ,

Remove door cards , (few screws) , you will see that the power plug has been unpluged form the window
motor , push it back in , also the switch (up/down) on the door card.

now pull off the carpet to expose the panel , what they have done here is bonded the panel to the window frame
and also riveted it in place..

Put down your window , (it should be working now) , drill out the rivets , get a good sharp knife now and start
cutting into the bonding , I used a large screwdriver as a lever to lift the panel as i cut the black rubber bond.
After a while you will start to get some play with it , just pull it off.

Now put the window backup and remove the paint from the glass . (I did it with soapy water and blades)
you could use a paint remover of some sort to remove it.

Do the same to the other side and that is the back doors done, The rear side windows are easy,
The glass is not painted black , and they didn't use rivets , Once again remove the carpet from
the panel and the rear plastic Pillar trim , Your going to be cutting the black rubber bond
and just pulling out the panel when you have enough play to give it a good pull.

All done now 8) , to finish the job , you will need to get some missing window trims for the rear doors.
I was going to at the time but never got around to it.

It make a huge difference to the D3 when its done Terry , way safer,
If you want to know more PM me Thumbs Up

Post #29030422nd Apr 2008 11:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Googsy

Ireland 

What did you do with the left over carpet ? Just thinking of our fellow member DSL whos doing a big DIY project at present. Dont say I never look after you DSL! Thumbs Up
 Googsy
2008 HSE TDV8

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... 

Last edited by Googsy on 23rd Apr 2008 12:16 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #29033623rd Apr 2008 12:08 am
BarryG

Googsy wrote:
What did you do with the carpet Question Whistle Whistle

You would know that your from Waterford alright Googsy Whistle Whistle

Post #29034023rd Apr 2008 12:13 am
alinton

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

BarryG wrote:
The rear side windows are easy,
The glass is not painted black ....

All done now 8) , to finish the job , you will need to get some missing window trims for the rear doors.
I was going to at the time but never got around to it.

It make a huge difference to the D3 when its done Terry , way safer,
If you want to know more PM me Thumbs Up

All agreed, except with mine the rear windows were painted. I left them that way, as they're not really useful for visibility, but I did remove the paint from the door windows and get them tinted limosine black, so I can now see out of them when turning and not pull out in front of motor bikes, as the Irish Government seems to want me to.

When I'd removed the aluminium plates from the rear windows I discovered why the radio reception was awful. They'd disconnected the cable going to the in-glass antenna and installed a crappy active antenna next to the C pillar. So the output of their rubbish active antenna was connected to the D3's antenna amplifier. Never going to work properly, impedances all wrong etc.

So I took their crap out and soldered the cables back onto the studs at the top of the window. The in-glass antenna now works fine without a big lump of metal next to it.

I also rebuilt the box they put in which covers the rear seat well. I lowered the level of it and put a hinged lid in so I can store stuff underneath.

The PC and the 2-way radio's main unit live under there with associated cabling and power supplies. and a few 'dirty' tools.

Another useful addition is that I found the connector for the 12v outlet that's on the pass side near the tailgate, and extended it to the top of the shelf where I have a rechargeable working light, and connectors for a pair of walkie-talkies to be charged.

Anyone want pix or a look let me know.

A.

Post #29034823rd Apr 2008 12:50 am
Wex

I also see on the latest comm spec models that they have now installed a standard bee sting aerial on the roof directly over the windscreen.Anyone else notice ?

Post #29042223rd Apr 2008 9:57 am
tanters

didnt notice that

I got the local stealers to install an aerial over the windcreen as a warranty fix for the poor reception due to the metal plate being over the back drivers-side window.

Looked a bit odd at first but got used to it now. I had asked that they would put it at the rear in place of the blanking plate where I have seen other beesting type aerials on other discos/ RR etc...............but they didn't hear me say it the 5 times Thud

Aerial is about a foot long - will post pic later

Post #29043723rd Apr 2008 10:27 am
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

tanters wrote:
but they didn't hear me say it the 5 times Thud

told you, they are a waist of space, mind you all the dealers in Ireland are. But Autobolands just take the biscuit Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #29044023rd Apr 2008 10:31 am
tanters

I think I'll write all instructions down in future..............and cc my solicitor perhaps!

Post #29045223rd Apr 2008 10:45 am
BarryG

alinton wrote:
[
I also rebuilt the box they put in which covers the rear seat well. I lowered the level of it and put a hinged lid in so I can store stuff underneath.

The PC and the 2-way radio's main unit live under there with associated cabling and power supplies. and a few 'dirty' tools.

Another useful addition is that I found the connector for the 12v outlet that's on the pass side near the tailgate, and extended it to the top of the shelf where I have a rechargeable working light, and connectors for a pair of walkie-talkies to be charged.

Anyone want pix or a look let me know.

A.

Andy .. If you have a pic or two of the rebuilt box floor i love to see it,

Post #29047723rd Apr 2008 11:25 am
Wex

Chris
Quote:
mind you all the dealers in Ireland are.

Theres a new service manager in Trinity gents Wink

Post #29051523rd Apr 2008 12:22 pm
tanters

By that wink, this new manager :

a) is you

or

b) Has big t Censored ts

pls advise

Post #29053723rd Apr 2008 12:57 pm
tanters

there she is.....bootiful!

Post #29060023rd Apr 2008 2:19 pm