Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Irresponsible Green Lane Users
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Irresponsible Green Lane Users

Feeling a bit annoyed...

Was out walking around Kings Forest, Bury St Edmunds and there is a greenlane (BOAT) through it, the Icknield Way. I've driven it before and it was a little rutted and worn but nothing too bad.

Today though it's clear, lots of people in agressive tyres have been driving it when wet. The ruts are over 2 feet deep in places. If people are not careful the track will be shut - its also heavily used by horse riders, motocross and walkers. The tyre marks were off 4x4 though!

I am sure it's not anyone from here, but please be careful otherwise others will take the right to drive these beautiful lanes from us.

The area in red on the map was the worst. Looks like someone has been very naughty!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #15867363rd Jan 2016 6:18 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The thing is the people who have done the damage probably wouldn't be bothered if the lane is closed as they will still drive it anyway Evil or Very Mad Censored Censored
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #15867673rd Jan 2016 6:57 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

In Suffolk and Cambs they tend to put a large gate across to stop them when they shut it... Censored
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #15867813rd Jan 2016 7:17 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

They're only 'avin' a bit if fun, innit....

I've lost count of the times those responsible for this kind of behaviour have responded with the above, coupled with open threats towards anyone who "grasses". It's little wonder we're still losing lanes 10 years after NERC with this behaviour getting more common.

Post #15867883rd Jan 2016 7:30 pm
Roob

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have also come across this before in Kings Forest. A few years ago, a very large long hole appeared near the start of the track at the south side. You could see it was specifically dug to cross axle vehicles.

There is a couple of groups (who shall remain unnamed at this time), who arrange trips out to Kings Forest taking up to 5 or 6 vehicles for a day out.
Unfortunately these vehicles are mostly running aggressive mud terrain tyres, and are driven by people who are more concerned about how much mud they can fling around than how much damage they are causing, and the long term effects on not just the ground, but the accessibility to Kings Forest, as well as the reputation they give recreational 4x4 drivers.

A few farmers in the area have blocked routes previously with trees and concrete. I don't blame them.

Still, I hope you had a nice walk. It's lovely out there this time of year. In fact, it's great out there any time of year!

Post #15867913rd Jan 2016 7:33 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I cant see many 4x4 being capable of leaving 2 foot deep ruts?
Iirc a defender/disco on 32 inch tyres has 9 inches under the diff.

I used to drive a lot of the Kent lanes up to about 18 months ago and some had serious abuse and loads of off piste use.

Post #15868053rd Jan 2016 7:54 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

Look like Insa Turbo Special Tracks.....

Post #15868393rd Jan 2016 8:43 pm
Mr.Tom

lynalldiscovery wrote:
I cant see many 4x4 being capable of leaving 2 foot deep ruts?
Iirc a defender/disco on 32 inch tyres has 9 inches under the diff.

I used to drive a lot of the Kent lanes up to about 18 months ago and some had serious abuse and loads of off piste use.

The ruts are say 2 foot on one side, from where the ground was, the centre between the ruts is eroded and then another rut...

I measured one with my shoe, which is approx. a foot long! Overall though its a right mess.

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #15868443rd Jan 2016 8:46 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Wilts police issued 7 fixed penalties and 22 warning notices on Salisbury Plain today, for off-piste 4x4 use.

Usual uproar from the knuckle draggers along the lines of "ain't you got nuffink more important to do? My little Jezebel got looked at wrong by some bloke and I reckon he's a peeeeedo"

Sadly post natal abortion is illegal. Sad

Post #15868503rd Jan 2016 8:52 pm
Mr.Tom

Quote:
Sadly post natal abortion is illegal.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #15868523rd Jan 2016 8:54 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You can picture them can't you: Raised suspension D1 or 90, big tyres, black bomber jackets, camo trousers and rigger boots.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #15868703rd Jan 2016 9:24 pm
Mr.Tom

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Suprisingly as we walked onto the track a bit further up where it was not so rutted two 90's went past with some chunky tyres on.

Thought nothing of it, until I got a bit further down the track.

No idea what boots they had on though Whistle

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #15868813rd Jan 2016 9:52 pm
Mark Y

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Moo wrote:
You can picture them can't you: Raised suspension D1 or 90, big tyres, black bomber jackets, camo trousers and rigger boots.

I have an old 90, thousands spent on it , 2" lift, armoured axles, all sorts done to it , oh it has 35" simex tyres (not those cheap remould's).

So by having all this kit on my truck I could be stereotyped into that category of track wreckers, I'm nothing of a sort, in fact with my kit I rarely get out of tickover, apart from when I recover other off roaders, those that have been out with me or my others friends on off road tyres would hopefully agree.

Don't fall into the trap of some of those that use these lanes and then stereotype all off road users, I'm more than happy to let people know what they are doing is wrong when they go off piste .

Post #15868943rd Jan 2016 10:12 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The problem is the other way round I think, I don't do any green landing any more.

Because there aren't the places to explore and enjoy, like the USA and many other countries and then in the uk people get so anal about use and like to complain and complain, including those nimbies there are even more reductions so less places to go, further adding pressure

There isn't an answer because it requires more tolerant people on all sides and more open access
 Mike  
Post #15869313rd Jan 2016 11:07 pm
Dave T

England 

Mark Y wrote:
Moo wrote:

I have an old 90, thousands spent on it , 2" lift, armoured axles, all sorts done to it , oh it has 35" simex tyres (not those cheap remould's).

So by having all this kit on my truck I could be stereotyped into that category of track wreckers, I'm nothing of a sort, in fact with my kit I rarely get out of tickover, apart from when I recover other off roaders, those that have been out with me or my others friends on off road tyres would hopefully agree.

Don't fall into the trap of some of those that use these lanes and then stereotype all off road users, I'm more than happy to let people know what they are doing is wrong when they go off piste .

Absolutely, our group does follow the green lane code and we definitely don't go off piste, but I do have cheap remoulds! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #15869704th Jan 2016 7:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >