DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Is my experience fairly normal????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
munkeemummee

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Is my experience fairly normal????

Hi all,
I have owned my blingy d3 for just over a year now (second hand from Stratstone's). In the year that I have owned it the following has happened (this site has been great btw for helping me identify problems and explaining them to the dealer):

1. On the DAY OF DELIVERY the turbo unit went requiring it to go back into the garage for some considerable time.

2. The privacy glass bubbled up.

3. The CD unit jammed - 6 CDs none of them yet returned... (11 months ago now I think).

4. The Rosen DVD unit failed (managed to start accepting more than one dvd and then just gave up as the internal tray collapsed). Took LR and the fitters five weeks to establish who actually installed the damn thing.

5. It's needed a new steering rod (??)

6. The spare tyre had a puncture (from day1 but they only noticed when they MOTd it).

7. The air suspension compressor has broken.

8. The radio is not working (well it isnt if I turn the rear window heater on - good job the weather is getting better).... this is still outstanding - this is to do with the retro dealer fitted privacy glass (film) having destroyed the heater element in the window.. too much moisture apparently Confused There current solution is to replace the back window with clear glass - which is going to look v strange with the rest of it blacked out.

9. The wing mirrors dont go back properly if I change gear too soon (i.e. from reverse back to drive).

10. Today I put in a new satnav DVD (genuine) and it is coming up with the read error (yes I have cleaned it and also checked the "readability" by putting it into a laptop dvd player. I have tried turning the bleedin' thing on and off again (more times than a micorsoft machine running XP!).

Please somebody put me out of misery.... Either put me down or the car.

I had a courtesy call from LR to ask about my experience... Evil or Very Mad I asked if he had a pen handy... fairly pointless call and he said he would feel "very angry" if it was his car. Helpful.

I did get a free service as a result of point one. Whoooohooooo.
Does anyone else have similar ongoing constant problems?

Post #29187525th Apr 2008 8:20 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Hi Munkeemummee and welcome Thumbs Up

What remains unresolved Question
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #29188125th Apr 2008 8:27 pm
munkeemummee

Hi DG,
the last three points.... Wing mirrors I just accept Sad
radio privacy glass thing.. they were meant to come back to me this week 8:30pm on friday evening and nuffink.
SATNav? Not sure what to do at this point, the old one works fine but the new update is playing around. Our neighbours have an HSE so I am going to try it in theirs (as long as my jinxy fingers dont ruin theirs as well!)

Luckily I have taken out an extended warranty with LR (I am amazed they allowed it - are they gluttons for punishment?)
At least every time it goes in it comes back clean!!!

Post #29188725th Apr 2008 8:34 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It sounds that you might have a 54 reg ? I think that it's fair to say that some early models had issues like the compressor, steering column..... and the reversing mirror don't really seem to have been right for anyone. With some other items I think you have been very unfortunate as they are not common.

It's a shame that Strastones haven't dealt with you very well by the sounds of it Sad Have you discussed the outstanding issues and have they given any indication that they are progressing it for you?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #29190325th Apr 2008 8:46 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The compressor was supposed to have been modified during the Enhancement Program along with checking the rear hatch support fixings... those you need to check that the nuts are tight - helps to slightly lift the tailgate while doing this.

Steering column knock was also an issue... still is on later MY's but not as common.

If the faults were there when you bought it, then surely they should have them fixed for you FOC. People buying faulty goods have protection don't they under the consumer goods act or something ??? DG, your good at this stuff.

Post #29190525th Apr 2008 8:51 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

simon wrote:
DG, your good at this stuff.

Rolling Eyes ...only as much as I know about life ...so I'm a bit of an amateur I'd say Sad

but I'll help if I can Smile
Post #29191025th Apr 2008 8:54 pm
munkeemummee

They have repaired the first items under the warranty and luckily the radio issue was raised whilst it was in the initial year - which covers their privacy film work and the sale of goods act.

They are saying that the retro fitted privacy film seems to be becoming a "known" issue - which can apparently take up to three years to corrode the heater element.

They have been very helpful to try and resolve the issues - it's just I can't believe HOW many issues I have had.

The car is a 54. You spooky people. Thank you Simon for the tailgate advice I will go and check tomorrow.

So are there likely to be any other treats in store? I think most parts have been replaced.... I am now expecting/waiting for the entire thing to just fall apart in a comedy stylee...

Post #29191325th Apr 2008 9:01 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

munkeemummee wrote:

The car is a 54. You spooky people.

Shocked ........ Whistle

It is never an easy thing to accept but any new model of vehicle will have it's teething problems. The D3 has very few faults after the 2006MY as those early issues were gradually ironed out.

As unpalatable as those teething problems may be for those experiencing them on early motors..the focus then shifts on the faults being resolved satisfactorily by the dealership. Hopefully that will be the end result for you.

I recommend that you just check with your dealer that all previous TSB's have been applied to the vehicle Thumbs Up

Overall the D3 is an excellent vehicle and I hope that when you are sorted .,..that excellence will begin to shine through Thumbs Up
Post #29193725th Apr 2008 9:58 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

er... what DG said Thumbs Up

Post #29198525th Apr 2008 11:17 pm
andychelt

United Kingdom 

You've got me worried now!! Confused

I was planning on tinting my windows as they're all clear, now i'm wondering if i'm going to have trouble with the rear screen. Does this happen only on dealer retro fit privacy glass or will it be the same with any window tinters?

Wouldnt particulary want to retro fit privacy glass then a year or two down the line find the rear screen elements knacked..

Post #29213026th Apr 2008 3:24 pm
DWillerton

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

andychelt wrote:
Does this happen only on dealer retro fit privacy glass or will it be the same with any window tinters?

Won't make any difference - because it's all done by the same people using the same materials, ie. your dealer will just wheel the vehicle round to the local tinting bloke.
 Discovery 3 TDV6 5-Seat
Zambesi Silver

Td5 Alive remap, rubber mats, fixed tow bar, disco3.co.uk sticker.

Manual gearbox - steel springs - 17" wheels. No tinted windows, no leather, no terrain response, no foglights, no xenons, no trip computer, no side steps, no mud flaps, no A-frame, no spot lights, no lamp guards, no sat nav, no winch, no roof rack, no RAI, no PDC, no bluetooth, no ipod connectivity, no clear indicators and no bright finish trim. 

Post #29214526th Apr 2008 5:44 pm
bobic

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

andychelt wrote:
You've got me worried now!! Confused

I was planning on tinting my windows as they're all clear, now i'm wondering if i'm going to have trouble with the rear screen. Does this happen only on dealer retro fit privacy glass or will it be the same with any window tinters?

Wouldnt particulary want to retro fit privacy glass then a year or two down the line find the rear screen elements knacked..

Crap I was goin to tint out the back window too but having second thought's now.

Owned my disco for a month now from new and its had a load of stupid problems, trim falling off, lights not working, parking sensors going mental plus the inside trim seems to be stained with what looks like oil and smells quite bad Big Cry And dealer can't sort it for another 6 weeks, their to busy Evil or Very Mad

Still love it Thumbs Up

Post #29216926th Apr 2008 7:45 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Can you try another dealer???

Post #29217326th Apr 2008 7:52 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Chaps ..don't get carried away ...I have to say that the issue has not been widely reported on here Confused
Post #29217426th Apr 2008 8:03 pm
bobic

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Am currently looking at other dealer but im in a crap part of the country for LR dealers my second closest would be over 50miles away. Just to far for a sevice and they won't supply courtesy car cause im under 25 Confused

On the tinted window, my old chap got his D3 tinted out last year and it has not caused any grief so far. I think before they apply the film they use a water/washing liquid mix on the glass first to allow a bit of correction, perhaps they were to generous with it leaving moisture trapped behind or maybe im just talking through my Censored Embarassed

Post #29222826th Apr 2008 9:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >