Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Is it only me?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
trebaix

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Is it only me?

Recently swopped my 90,000 mile TDV8 Range Rover for a new 3 litre Disco 4. With my Disco I have had a few random scary incidents pulling out at junctions when I briefly experienced a "power loss". This happened maybe only once a week or so but it was happening and was very disconcerting/dangerous.

I have finally recreated the factors. Light throttle opening at a roundabout or junction while drifing onto it in a stream of traffic at walking pace. A gap appears in front of an approaching 44 ton lorry. I realise that I am rolling just a little too quickly to merge in so I brush the brake, then I put my foot to floor with full throttle and.....no power for a second or so while I roll in front of the lorry. Not good.

I realise that I am triggering some sort of electronic "safety" gizmo and have spoken to my Dealer. if you touch the brake (left foot) while at the same time slightly opening the throttle the electronics shut the engine down to no power.

I cannot believe that I am the only one to have experienced this. I find it dangerous and I have no confidence in pulling out at junctions. I realise that it is my driving technique but I do not accept that I am wrong. Does anyone know how to alter the electronics.

colin

Post #80653513th Jun 2011 6:30 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Same thing used to happen to me quite a few times after I changed from an Audi, first it was put down to my driving style by the dealer, then 10 forcash discovered a faulty switch on the brake pedal which, he changed, and I've never had the problem since Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #80654313th Jun 2011 7:03 pm
trebaix

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Thanks for that, I will investigate and keep you updated. In the meantime I have tried to resist left foot braking.

colin

Post #80705315th Jun 2011 1:24 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Colin

Personally i think this is down to the automatic gearbox, if you are coasting at low speeds as you describe the gearbox will keep 2nd gear selected and wont select 1st till you come to a standstill (this has been known as the shunt feeling in the rear when coming to a standstill), when you then put you foot on the accelerator the system takes a while to decide should i run in 2nd gear using the torque converter or should i down shift to 1st gear to give the acceleration the person has asked for. Usually it's the latter and the delay is the autobox down shifting to 1st gear and decreasing to power while the gear is changed.

If however you drive in command shift the box doesn't change down to 1st gear at standstill, and you move off in 2nd gear without any problems, therefore if coasting at low speeds the gearbox will hold onto 2nd gear and use the torque converter to increase revs.

I personally have found that what you describe doesn't happen when using command shift, and of course my Disco 3 is a 54 plate so things may have changed since then.

This is just my logic to the problem.

Lee

Post #80750316th Jun 2011 3:27 pm
MJIbex

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

If you go anywhere near the brake and throttle at the same time on a 3.0 diesel; it will throw it toys out of the cot!! It will back all power off.

So if you have a brake switch fault this could be a major issue.

Regards

Mark.

Post #80783617th Jun 2011 12:45 pm
games1

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hi Trebaix

Great to have someone experience the same thing as myself although you may have identified the issue, left foot braking. Tend to left foot break all the time so often using a trailing brake into tight situations which results in a considerable hesitation.. Several others on the Australian forum have similar experiences.

George

Post #80833719th Jun 2011 8:55 am
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I seem to recall left-foot braking causes system errors in D3/4s - as the boffins at Land Rover think it is a bad practice.

Post #8154599th Jul 2011 8:10 am
doubledoom

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I thought it was just turbo lag. A few times I have come rolling up to a roundabout or junction braking to then switch to accelerator (not both at the same time) and find there is moment before the power comes on. Never from a standing stop, but when rolling, even if very slightly. Can be embarrassing (or in my mind it is) if someone flashes to let you out and the car takes for what seems forever but is probably only a second before kicking the power in and often with quite a lurch.

Post #81567310th Jul 2011 12:42 am
Matt in Macc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

It's the 2nd gear hold. I had a similar experience of slowly sliding rather than athletically leaping onto a roundabout and as a result approaching roundabouts is one of the few times that I use command shift - bang it down into first as you slow on approach, and then flick back to D. Box doesn't change up but holds 1st so you can move off sharply, and you don't have to be straight back on the lever to change up as you accelerate away.

Post #81568210th Jul 2011 6:09 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Matt in Macc wrote:
bang it down into first as you slow on approach, and then flick back to D.

I've just been trying that this morning and it works... good tip thank you. Thumbs Up

Post #81573610th Jul 2011 10:09 am
PSC

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I agree, that this is a gearbox issue and not a “lag” issue as I have experienced this on my V8, where it selects the wrong gear, it also seems that the yaw sensors restrict it from changing down (kickdown).

No Lag on the V8 and 400Nm + from 1000 RPM

Post #81574310th Jul 2011 10:53 am
DerekT

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
You are not alone!

Having just got my D4 back from Dealer 35k service, one of the issues I reported was exactly the symptons you describe! Of course it came back as no fault found so I thought I would try this site to see if anyone else had the problem. As you say, it only happens occasionally, but when it does it happen it is a buttock clenching moment!
Usually when you coast up to a junction, judging a gap, then putting foot down and...... nothing!! Have to lift foot off, then back down again and off it goes. VERY disconcerting.
Having read what you feel to be the cause, I will watch out for that. For my own part, I believed it was when I was going at low speed after foot off the accelerator, perhaps hovering over the brake, then accelerating sharply. Will let you know when it happens again.
Apart from that still very happy with the D4, a pleasure to drive.

Post #81737915th Jul 2011 6:19 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >