Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Is it the end !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
camelrock

England 
Is it the end !!

I read with interest about the RRS hybrid on test that does 85 mpg and CO down to 89 so no road tax. Theres also the Freelander E, also Range Rover hybids etc etc but there are two models missing. Defender which is being replaced in the next couple of years so theres no point developing a hybrid on an old model. The other model is the D4, so does this mean that Discovery will end after D4 or is the D5 going to be a completely new animal so as with Defender , no point developing 'old' tech.
There was some talk awhile back about the Discovery being to close to RRS in both price, size etc and I think it safe to say that Freelander has closed the gap also in both size and price though with no low box and a smaller engine nothing like the same woRking cap as the D4/RRS.

Post #76769927th Feb 2011 12:49 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I know what you mean. I reckon that something that replaces both Discovery and Defender is in the pipeline. If there is, I am interested because D4/RRs/FFRR are all too posh for my needs, and Defender whilst it is still a very cool car indeed, is too dated for my everyday needs.

Come to think about it, my D3 is just perfect. The problem is it will need replacing soon, and unless LR pull their fingers out and release a sniff of a spy shot or some news soon, I and others will start looking elsewhere. LR needs a utility vehicle suitable for everyday use.

Post #76775427th Feb 2011 3:38 pm
luvbus

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Project Icon lux..... Very Happy
 Club N.E.R.D.s  
Post #76775627th Feb 2011 3:40 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Gareth wrote:
...Come to think about it, my D3 is just perfect. The problem is it will need replacing soon, and unless LR pull their fingers out and release a sniff of a spy shot or some news soon, I and others will start looking elsewhere. LR needs a utility vehicle suitable for everyday use.

My thoughts exactly Thumbs Up

Come on Landrover - hurry up!!!!
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #76777027th Feb 2011 4:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

DaveT wrote:
Come on Landrover - hurry up!!!!

But Please get it right first time Thumbs Up

Post #76783027th Feb 2011 6:45 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

No chance Laughing
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #76783527th Feb 2011 6:53 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Couldn't agree more, a big gap in the market I think for something robust, good off road but also good on. The D3 was a hard act to follow and the D4 isn't quite the same at all.

I too am waiting for the new Defender and so hope it's worth the wait.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #76783627th Feb 2011 6:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I would also add, it has to be cheaper to run than the D3.

Post #76784427th Feb 2011 7:03 pm
Phil1644

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
because D4/RRs/FFRR are all too posh for my needs, and Defender whilst it is still a very cool car indeed, is too dated for my everyday needs.

LR needs a utility vehicle suitable for everyday use.

This is all very interesting. This being an enthusiasts forum I have noticed a distinct preference here by many members for the posher specced vehicles, and if I had the money myself I might fancy a higher spec model too. I had a quick look at the LR website. An FL2 XS is around £30k a 110 County XS is pushing £32k, a D4 GS is around £37k and a RRS starts at around £48k. Is the basic D4 priced about right then?? I have not compared the relative specs of the D4GS with a FL2/110XS but the D4 generally looks plusher than FL2/110. Is it not that the D4 just becomes expensive when you choose XS/HSE models?? Is a D4GS a happy compromise between the too utility 110 and the too posh for some XS/HSE D4's?? My parents are just trading "down" from D3 XS & D3HSE to D4GS & D4XS.

If I had the money I would love a plain simple D4 GS, although I very much appreciate many people like all the toys and that does make the D4 expensive. Whistle Whistle

Post #76785627th Feb 2011 7:27 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

luvbus wrote:
Project Icon lux

don't think it will be made over here... Laughing

My bet is the same as Gareth's - the next "Defender" will bridge the gap between current Defender and what was the D3 and what is the D4 and the fact that it is all moving a bit more "upmarket".

Does that make sense...? do I need to open another beer...?
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #76787427th Feb 2011 8:04 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Phil speaks a lot of logic there. However, I suppose what I am really saying is that after 2 D3's in 6 years, I am ready for a change, and the D4 is maybe too similar for a lot more money.

Post #76788027th Feb 2011 8:10 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have a D3 GS and have added a few items to it that suit me, it is a bargain vehicle compared to a fully loaded and heavy HSE IMHO, I didn't want the naff LR SatNav, Leather seats, brighter headlights, sunroofs, heated seats or better spec radio as the standard radio and sound is superb, the running gear on all model was identical, so the GS was perfect.

My vehicle is 2yrs old now and I was looking at a D4, but even the D4 GS is silly money compared to what I have, as there is no real difference between them if you are honest, OK a new engine but mine is remapped and does everything I want, so I will not be spending £25k or whatever more, for nothing much more.

Having come from a Defender I will be interested to see what appears, but the Disco 3 will be a hard vehicle to beat for versatility.

Post #76790227th Feb 2011 8:55 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Discotres wrote:
but the Disco 3 will be a hard vehicle to beat for versatility.

never a truer word said Thumbs Up Laughing
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #76790427th Feb 2011 8:57 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Ditto

Post #76800828th Feb 2011 12:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >