Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Is It Worth Calling LRA - YES IS WAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Is It Worth Calling LRA - YES IS WAS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After speaking to DG at the crimbo bash last night about my D3 plight, lately when I start up the "i" comes up, Engine Managment Fault Big Cry , DG suggested Battrey low or knackered which seems to fit as mine is little used. Once started I leave it a few moments, then turn off n re-start and all is well.

I spoke to my dealership and no room till next week at earliest, would it be worth getting LRA involved cos if its the Battrey surley its getting close to letting me down. Big Cry

Does this sound right though, I listened to other conversations when battrey low, and I aint sure Big Cry Big Cry

Last edited by MacLeod 313 on 1st Jan 2009 11:16 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #39494431st Dec 2008 7:25 pm
JMC

Scotland 

I've seen lots of start-up faults (over 2 years worth) which I feel sure have been down to a low start-up voltage due to cold or car sitting for a week. HDC system faults are the main one. However, I've never seen an engine management fault........ Confused
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #39494831st Dec 2008 7:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Shocked was worried you would say that, if I drive with the fault the D3 is really slugish. It just simply needs the key turned off then on and its cleared.

Is it worth LRA though or wait till I can get it into dealership Whistle

Post #39495131st Dec 2008 7:32 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well I would place the call and make sure you get a LR assist bloke and not local recovery. Not going to cost you a penny, they are probably on time and a third or more over the hols.

Could be voltage, my "i" and sluggishness was EGR valves - ( Laughing I know, I know , everyone says EGR ) Didn't get Engine Management symbol for quite sometime. - Mine too cleared with quick on/off of ignition.

2nd failure, and after new valves - some months later - having lost power fairly dramatically as I pulled out to cross the A5 near Rugby - funnily enough Best bit of Stobbart driving I have ever seen, saved my life Embarassed he wasn't to impressed Whistle
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #39495331st Dec 2008 7:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

ok, I guess its a call to them tomorrow Big Cry

Post #39495431st Dec 2008 7:40 pm
90BHP

it's free and better safe than sorry. At least they will diagnose for nowt !
Post #39495531st Dec 2008 7:42 pm
JMC

Scotland 

MacLeod 313 wrote:
if I drive with the fault the D3 is really slugish

Having never seen such a fault, and guessing that it is detecting an obvious problem, my first guess would be a turbo issue. Confused

But what the heck would I know......... Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #39495631st Dec 2008 7:45 pm
MacLeod 313

I was just concerned that they will arrange recovery to local dealership for it to sit around the car park unsecure for a week or so............

Its drivable, and would deliver to them when they needed it, but as piece of mind its sitting outside and I want to know about whats wrong

Post #39495731st Dec 2008 7:46 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Can't you wait for another day? If Its not urgent, give the bloke an easy day......
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #39496131st Dec 2008 7:53 pm
90BHP

Said bloke may be very pleased to have the time and a half and a day in Lieu Thumbs Up

I thought my turbo had gone too, and that is the obvious other cause, mine was sluggish and then big pick up around 2200 revs. Which kind of indicated the Turbo seemed to be ok. - which of course it was, below 2200 revs the EGR valves were sticking open and the power was literally going down the tubes Laughing
Post #39496731st Dec 2008 8:01 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

MacLeod 313 wrote:
Shocked was worried you would say that, if I drive with the fault the D3 is really slugish. It just simply needs the key turned off then on and its cleared.

Don't want to spread my gloom Mac, but that is the same symptoms I was experiencing.
Though my i message was 'Engine System Fault'
And mine is in for a new battery and TURBO - internal VNT mechanism failure!!!!

read a bit about it hear - esp last 2 paragraphs
http://www.turbotechnics.com/docs/news/vnt_clean.htm

Really hope it's not though.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #39496931st Dec 2008 8:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: Is It Worth Calling LRA

MacLeod 313 wrote:
DG suggested Battery low or knackered

Obviously only a suggestion ...not a diagnosis Whistle ...could be one of many issues and the best place to resolve is with your dealer Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #39498131st Dec 2008 8:24 pm
MacLeod 313

DG I was'nt holding your prognosis to gospel, but was hoping you were right to be honest. Anyway, I called LRA and they were willing to send a local independant tonight, or LRA tomorrow. I said no rush as its unused so I may have to wait till weekend.

When I contacted the dealers earlier they informed me that YES bring it down and we will look at it at some point. They were even unable to have the code reader out. They advised me to call LRA, and take it from there, at least it will be outside my house waiting for possible parts, instead of an open car park / viewing area.

I will keep you posted on the outcome, if its the EGR, TURBO, NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL, warrenty will sort it. If its the Battrey the warrenty doe'nt cover that, but the dealers said they would cover a new one as I have done 3300 miles since April.

For now its WIN WIN, bt waiting for the gloom Whistle

Post #39498731st Dec 2008 8:37 pm
MacLeod 313

This morning was awoken by LRA telling me Charlie Brice was nearly here, so up and ready I put the kettle on. My D3 replicated the same fault "i" Engine System Failure, and he could'nt clear it.

Done some Software updates, still no joy. Big Cry

The looking deeper into his pc, and once the TDV6 had properly warmed up ticking over, the fault appeared loud n clear.

TURBO Big Cry He is'nt sure whether there is a vaccum issue or mechanical, but the noise it was making sounded like bearings.

So tomorrow she's getting a lift to the dealership that supplied with his diagnosis, and hopefully I will get a decent replacement, normally they supply a FL2, but I guess its whatever they have available

Normally I would be a tad Censored off at this point, but I have a 12 month no quibble warrrenty from Barretts of Ashford, and 3 years LRA/Warrenty Thumbs Up

So it looks like the Turbo may be taking up the troublesome mantle from the EGR's in 2009.

Happy Bloody New Year Twisted Evil

Post #3951021st Jan 2009 11:23 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

MacLeod 313 wrote:
I have a 12 month no quibble warrrenty from Barretts of Ashford, and 3 years LRA/Warrenty Thumbs Up

What does that buy you - Barretts will be presumably backing off their "warranty" to LR??? No sense in them taking a margin hit to provide something the manufacturer is already providing Confused
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #3951081st Jan 2009 11:37 am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >