Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Is Land Rover Producing an SE Variant?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4
Is Land Rover Producing an SE Variant?

On the M5 this afternoon heading south, passed a transporter loaded with various LR models. Right on the back end was a black D4 with SE lettering on the tailgate. Have LR re-introduced the SE variant or perhaps the "H" had dropped off. I don't think that it was the latter as the spacing looked correct.

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #6452015th May 2010 6:12 pm
Phil1644

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bill, might be covered here?....

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic49987.html

Post #6452075th May 2010 6:20 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

This had colour coded bumpers and wheel arches so assume it was a current production D4 for UK. Heading south on the M5 would indicate that it was heading for UK dealership unless it was an export model for Ireland. Razz

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #6452095th May 2010 6:26 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Fingers crossed.

Post #6452875th May 2010 8:49 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

No SE for the UK market must be ROW market ...somewhere Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6452895th May 2010 8:52 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I must admit that I'm fascinated by some members emphasis on model names, S, SE, XS, etc. Those that have been here any length of time know that the badging from year-to-year has no commonality. This means that an XS in the UK probably approximates an SE in Oz.

It's all marketing.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #6453395th May 2010 11:04 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

For many UK D3 SE owners a D4 XS is a step down while a D4 HSE is just to big a price hike. The introduction in the UK of a D4 SE is just what UK D3 SE owners are waiting for.

Post #6453415th May 2010 11:21 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Heading south down M5 - is the big car import / export site not at Avonmouth - I could be wrong?

Post #6453566th May 2010 4:20 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

zig wrote:
For many UK D3 SE owners a D4 XS is a step down while a D4 HSE is just to big a price hike. The introduction in the UK of a D4 SE is just what UK D3 SE owners are waiting for.

Most sensible thing I have read on here for some time. Let's face it the D4 is just not a £50k car. LR have over cooked the pricing and/or under specified the vehicles. I will not be buying until a sub £40k transaction price gets me memory leather seats and four heated chairs. If that doesn't happen then I will have to resort to a used HSE. Price gaps between the variants are just too wide.

Post #6459127th May 2010 10:08 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I couldn't agree less, my D4 is worth every penny. There is nothing that competes with quality, equipment, or price.

Price up a similar spec X5, Q7,Merc GL or Land Cruiser. You won't even get close.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #6466439th May 2010 10:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

adam wrote:
Heading south down M5 - is the big car import / export site not at Avonmouth - I could be wrong?

ROW go out of southampton, chances are the man was going to swing round on to the M42 then down the M40 and off at oxford-southampton A34, been there many a time dropping off next to ECM and others parking next to me off loading all LR's, however I recon he came out of the factory and went up the M42 northbound before realising, hence yer saw him on the M5 Rolling with laughter

Post #6467089th May 2010 3:50 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

mwestcrew wrote:
I couldn't agree less, my D4 is worth every penny. There is nothing that competes with quality, equipment, or price.

Price up a similar spec X5, Q7,Merc GL or Land Cruiser. You won't even get close.

Obviously I am not going to get someone to agree with me from a forum of people who have bought the D4. Glad you like your car as I will have one at some stage.

My issue is the pricing. X5/Q7 is not relevant to me as they are not competitors IMHO but the GL and LC clearly are and are more expensive but these brands always have been.

I have always seem the Disco as a mid point 4x4 which is why the £34.5k (after discount) I paid for my SE in 05 seemed right to me. The SE then (MY06) was loaded with spec and to get that spec now, the XS falls short but the HSE is way outside the envelope of what I want to pay for my family car. I feel that LR needs to increase the number of D4 models from three to five to allow people to buy more easily into the spec/budget they have in mind.

PS Have not mentioned the phasing out of the manual gearbox which bugs me as well. Thumbs Up

Post #64696510th May 2010 8:39 am
mwhwsmith

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I agree that the price gap from XS to HSE is too wide and spec difference too small.

I found it impossible to justify the >£7k difference for what amounted to paint, electric seats, Xenons and a sunroof - the HSE things that held some value for me. Most of the other differences were 'garnish' (different wheels, nicer leather, inserts) and toys (keyless entry, voice recog, more speakers, camera etc.) designed to make people feel better about the price difference.

Important question for LR is what do you offer above an XS but below an HSE that means you don't cannabalise HSE sales. I think its interesting that LR don't offer the electric seats (with arm rests!) as an option for an XS. I'm sure they have had their analysts doing the conjoint analysis to know exactly which options do make a difference to customer decisions and which don't - you learn more about customer preferences through what is left off the options list.

I think when they decided to put leather seats in the XS it 'killed' the space for an SE variant.

That said, given the continual 'angst' on the perhaps there is SE 'badge' effect that indicates there are people who just want an excuse to pay more for their car. Whistle

Post #64700210th May 2010 10:11 am
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The difference in cost between a XS and HSE is £7400. As a D3 SE owner I would go for paint (£570) and xenons (£695), which are standard on a HSE, as options, which reduces the difference to £6135. However, apart from the electric seats (with arm rests plus the dipping mirrors when reversing) the other features are regarded as good to have but are not essential. There is difficulty in justifying the extra £6135 and as a result it is a case of sticking with the D3 SE for the moment. However, if the XS had as an option the electric seats (at a reasonable cost) that would be a different story. I do not consider that I am unique in this respect.

Post #64719410th May 2010 3:42 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

You are not in both your belief and your location.

Post #64719610th May 2010 3:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >