Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Is there a running in period on the Disco these days?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Getoffmyland

United Kingdom 
Is there a running in period on the Disco these days?

This may sound like a silly question - I pick up a new Disco tomorrow - and I wondered if there was a running in period on the 255 engine?

Has anyone followed any interesting run in processes - ie changing the oil at 1000 miles etc...? or is it simply... vary revs, don't thrash it for the first few thousand miles and follow the warranty service intervals?

Post #155302029th Oct 2015 10:31 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

High loads, low revs Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #155302229th Oct 2015 10:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

think we were told to take it easy for the first 1000 miles....we still don't thrash it...its a powerful beast...we found it did drink a little oil for the first 10k....some say the block drinks the oil...others will advise...YOU WILL ENJOY IT

Post #155302429th Oct 2015 10:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Getoffmyland

United Kingdom 

Thanks Mikey - just to clarify - do you mean plenty of torque/pressure on the pedal and then lift off before it revs too much?

Post #155302529th Oct 2015 10:36 pm
Getoffmyland

United Kingdom 

galwaygreen wrote:
think we were told to take it easy for the first 1000 miles....we still don't thrash it...its a powerful beast...we found it did drink a little oil for the first 10k....some say the block drinks the oil...others will advise...YOU WILL ENJOY IT

Thanks - yes, I had one two years ago in Australia and it was great (MY13 I think) but I didnt really worry about running it in because it was an ex demo with 4k on the clock and I figured it would have been well run in anyway Shocked Rolling Eyes

I am looking forward to getting back into one again as the X5 we have been running for the last year hasnt really captured my imagination in the same way - brilliant car, much faster, but nowhere near as versatile obviously.

Post #155302829th Oct 2015 10:39 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

As above - watch your oil levels to start, typically up to first service.

Fuel economy improves at 40k - nicely run in at that stage...!
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #155303529th Oct 2015 10:49 pm
Disco_Mikey

Getoffmyland wrote:
Thanks Mikey - just to clarify - do you mean plenty of torque/pressure on the pedal and then lift off before it revs too much?

Yes, the extra pressures inside the cylinders under high loads swell the rings out, and bed in much better than driving gently.

And avoid long motorway slogs. Take the scenic route everywhere, so the engine gets a good workout Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #155304229th Oct 2015 10:52 pm
Disco_Mikey

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #155305229th Oct 2015 11:01 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: Is there a running in period on the Disco these days?

Getoffmyland wrote:
This may sound like a silly question - I pick up a new Disco tomorrow - and I wondered if there was a running in period on the 255 engine?

Has anyone followed any interesting run in processes - ie changing the oil at 1000 miles etc...? or is it simply... vary revs, don't thrash it for the first few thousand miles and follow the warranty service intervals?

In my humble:
1) Always let the engine get to operating temperature before imposing heavier than normal driving loads on it....let it get to normal temperature by driving not left at tick over parked up....at tick over speeds the turbo is turning but not at the speeds to provide the right amounts of "charge" air for correct combustion.
2) ...try not to do Emerson fittipaldi type driving in say the first 500 miles....no hard foot to the floor acceleration or mega hard braking unless you have to...
3) ...do drive the thing & don't let it labour in high gears at low speeds ( manual box) or Rev it's Censored off with either manual or auto boxes
4) ..some say no kick-down changes on an auto until it's say 1000 miles old....I would agree with this
5) Do varying speeds on longer drives.....not held at constant speeds / engine revs.
6) Diesel engines are built to work so you don't have to reckon you are driving Miss Daisy...brisk (not hard) acceleration is OK
7) Always keep an eye in the oil level with the dopey dash gauge instead if waiting till the low oil level warning pops up (there is a difference)...expect some oil to be burnt.....engines burn oil as per normal...also look for leaks....examine your drive / garage floor...better this than a seized engine
8) it's your decision whether to swap engine oil earlier...my opinion is it can't do any harm other than costing you the right oil & filter.....if it's a long term prospect vehicle ..... Good preventive maintenance....I always swap at 1000 to 1500 miles...NO additives.
This removes the possibility that any metal particles from manufacturing that could be there or worn off in the early miles are being kept till 14k miles......yes there is a filter but it's good to get all that crap out.

There was some time back, an "interesting" debate on whether metal engine components "soaked" oil & this reduced the engine oil significantly to be recognised on the electronic level system.....against any pf the oil being burnt in cylinder bores with piston rings that had to bed in....& bed in they have to do.
I'm not going to revive this debate. But keeping an eye on engine oil level is a good part of owner maintenance....it can & will save disasters.....& keep warranties valid.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Last edited by BLFarrar on 1st Nov 2015 5:39 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #155311430th Oct 2015 1:12 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Must admit I was concerned about running a new engine possibly up to 15k miles (D3) before an oil and filter change. My supplying dealer offered to do an oil and filter change at 1000 miles, they didn't charge any labour, just for the oil and filter. Glad I had it done really. Thumbs Up..........At the time (early 2006), that dealership had just completed their first engine change on a Disco 3 that had done 20,000 miles, where the owner had not even lifted the bonnet to carry out such a simple task as to check the oil level...... Shocked..........Needless to say, the oil level on mine gets checked frequently Laughing
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #155312130th Oct 2015 1:48 am
Getoffmyland

United Kingdom 

Many thanks all - much appreciated.

Post #15544631st Nov 2015 5:27 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My local Dealer said that vehicle sold on after being used as demonstrator's always had better fuel consumption ,performance etc than ones sold directly, Basically the demonstrator's got thrashed from day one, the others didn't!

Post #15545461st Nov 2015 7:42 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
High loads, low revs Thumbs Up

See now Ive always been of the opinion its the other way around, a few revs is just fine and no lugging.

Many many old farts have told me this over the years, in fact whenever we got new trucks one driver always got them as he ran them in a treat, make it work dont thrash it or load it to much at low rpms.

Post #15545761st Nov 2015 8:17 pm
D4Comm

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My dealer said speed wasn't an issue but lay off the revs to get it there.
 11 RR 4.4 TDV8 Smile
15 D4 Comm SDV6 Smile
58 RR 3.6 TDV8 (Gone)
12 D4 Comm SDV6 (Gone)
08 D3 Comm TDV6 (Gone)
54 D2 Comm TD5 (Gone) 

Post #15551683rd Nov 2015 12:10 am
RandomKamikaze

United Kingdom 

getoffmyland - blue_meanie and I are both local to you. If you need any help breaking it in I'm sure we can be available Thumbs Up Laughing
 Disco gone Sad  
Post #15554363rd Nov 2015 5:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >