Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Is this a dead battery?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kste

Sweden 
Is this a dead battery?

During last days I had a problem to start up car.
There is not enough power to start up. I needed to start up car by using battery borrowed from other car. I recharged battery, but problem does not dissapeared. Right now everyday I have a problem to start up. It is not so fun right now to be not sure if I can do this or not. Even if a drive 100 miles, leave car for 1-2 hrs, then still have a problem to start it again.
I have visited two workshops (not LR), and got a diferent diagnosis: in one they said that alternator needs to be changed, in another that battery is dead. I have 200 miles to closest LR workshop and will be good to fix this issue without visiting them.
I do not want to spend a money or useless replacement.
Few facts: In the navigation disgnostic menu I see battery voltage: when car is not started up (every morning) 10.5 V, when it starts battery voltage goes up to 12V during first 2-3 mins, and then go up to 13.5 - 14V during drive. Sounds like alternator is ok, does it?
Or maybe is something drain battery. What should by battery usage diring car standby. How many Watts should it consume? How many amps is OK?
I have borrow portable battery booster from my friend but I am not sure if I can use it and not damage car electronics (12V booster with connection through cigarette lighter socket. Is it OK to use that kind of booster.
I have LR from Dec 06, HSE diesel.
Thanks for help

Post #7434548th Jan 2011 5:59 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Original battery?? If so probably dieing a slow death. Lots of alternators also packing up. Search +dead +battery +alternators, both here and on RRS site (RRS being a D3 in a skimpy frock).

Post #7434578th Jan 2011 6:04 pm
jsui

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

10.5V sounds very low.

Mine gives slightly over 15V when engine running, so if you say about 14V during drive then alternator is probably OK and then it sounds like dead battery. I can recall some people reporting they needed to change the battery after about three years, mine did close to five years.

Post #7435018th Jan 2011 7:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >