Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback

James Edwards Chester
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
RyanJ

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
James Edwards Chester

Has anyone had any recent experiences of James Edwards in Chester? We bought our beloved D3 from them a couple of years ago, and to start with their customer service was OK. However recently we've had a few issues, the detail I won't go into, and I was amazed a few weeks ago when we tried to book our car in for some warranty work that they refused us. I since spoke to the General Manager who stated "since we cannot meet your expectations then there is no point bringing your vehicle to us any more."

I pointed out that I would inform other potential customers of their attitude towards customer service to which he astounded me by stating " We are a very succesful dealership and I (name withheld) have been here for 10 years so it doesn't really matter! Do what you want."

Shocked

Post #23281811th Dec 2007 1:37 pm
RPJ

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
Do what you want

So you have the Dealerships permission great where should we start???
 Ha Ha This a way!
Ha Ha That a way!
Ha Ha This a way!
My oh My! 

Post #23282711th Dec 2007 1:58 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

What an arrogant attitude........................you ought to make a complaint to LR HQ.
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #23282911th Dec 2007 1:59 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Plastic bag ( extra strong type) ---- >> Dog crap ----->>> Fill bag with previous --->>> Place open end under dealers door ----->>>>> Jump from a height on said filled bag Mr. Green

Probably best to wear wellies , oilskins and gloves .

Sorry ... I know thats absoleutely no help.

Post #23283211th Dec 2007 2:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RyanJ

We have referred the matter to Land Rover HQ, must admit that it's taken a while to get a response from them too. I couldn't believe my ears I must admit, but then again some of the recent issues we've experienced with them have been somewhat shocking also.

You would think that they would do anything and everything in their power to change a poor customer experience. Bow down

Post #23283511th Dec 2007 2:07 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

care to air your experiences Ryan ?

Post #23283711th Dec 2007 2:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: James Edwards Chester

RyanJ wrote:
" We are a very succesful dealership and I (name withheld) have been here for 10 years so it doesn't really matter! Do what you want."

I have to ask myself what would make someone in his position say that ? What are you not telling us Ryan Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #23284611th Dec 2007 2:26 pm
catweasel

Re: James Edwards Chester

DG wrote:
What are you not telling us Ryan

RyanJ wrote:
the General Manager who stated "since we cannot meet your expectations then there is no point bringing your vehicle to us any more."
Whistle  
Post #23284911th Dec 2007 2:44 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Did you get a Christmas card from them Shocked

Surely as you bought the car from them they are obliged to honour the warranty. I know the manufacturer warrants the car, but I thought it was actually the supplying dealer who was legally responsible for the warranty. Didn't this cause a lot of issue's for Rover dealers who were stuck honouring the warranties, which Rover couldn't pay for.

Post #23285411th Dec 2007 3:00 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The warranty is provided by the manufacturer Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #23285511th Dec 2007 3:02 pm
RyanJ

There's quite a lot I'm not telling DG as I don't think it would be right to go into the detail.

I wondered the very same point Countrywide, I would have thought that they would have an obligation to honour the vehicle warranty for the full term. I would love to have this clarified.

Land Rover spoke to my wife this morning about my recent correspondence, turns out that they are very apologetic on behalf of the dealer and a bit taken aback by their actions.

Post #23285611th Dec 2007 3:05 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
The warranty is provided by the manufacturer Wink

But legally the selling dealer is obliged to provide the warranty and claim the money back from the manufacturer. Even if the manufacturer goes bust, then the supplying dealer is responsible.

This is what happened to Rover dealers.

Post #23285711th Dec 2007 3:06 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I don't think you'll find that is quite true in a case where the manufacturer is still active:

Dti wrote:

WARRANTY/GUARANTEE

1. Where a warranty has been provided by a manufacturer, or a third party provider, it is a separate agreement (aside from the agreement between retailer and consumer for the sale of goods) between the manufacturer or third party provider and the consumer. The warranty is usually only enforceable against the manufacturer or third party provider (even though in the case of new car warranties it is usually the retailer network which actually provides the work and parts, the manufacturer or third party provider pays for that work).

2. The ability to enforce the agreement will depend on whether the party providing the warranty or guarantee is in a position to honour the agreement.

3. In the event that the manufacturer is no longer in a position to honour the warranty agreement, the retailer is unlikely to be under any obligation to provide any service under that warranty (there would be little or no prospect of that work being paid for by the manufacturer). However, independent of any warranty, consumers still have their normal rights under sale of goods legislation to expect that any goods they buy (including cars) be of satisfactory quality. These rights are enforceable against the retailer, not the manufacturer (see below).

4. It is important therefore to establish exactly who the warranty agreement is with. For example, second and third year warranties for cars are sometimes referred to as dealer warranties and it may be the case that the dealer or retailer, or a third party warranty provider, has obligations under those agreements, rather than the manufacturer.

5. If a warranty has been provided by a company which goes into liquidation, and the warranty is not backed by independent insurance, and the company is not in a position to honour the warranty, any claim by the consumer will be considered an unsecured, non-preferential debt (the consumer would need to make their claim known to the liquidators and would join the queue of creditors).

In this case the manufacturer is wholly responsible for the warranty not the dealership. If the dealer can demonstrate that the customer relationship has been frustrated then it is not unreasonable for him to refer the customer to an alternative dealership. The customers warranty is still fully intact.
Post #23286511th Dec 2007 3:48 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

JE Chester? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Sorry, when I stop laughing I'll post something constructive.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #23288111th Dec 2007 4:50 pm
RyanJ

So provided that you are prepared to be treated appalingly and not stand your ground with your supplying Dealership we should remain grateful when they take our car in for warranty repairs. Maybe I'll start providing them with some thankyou gifts everytime they do meet my expectations Very Happy

Post #23288211th Dec 2007 4:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >