Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback

JLR dealerships to become non franchise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RogB

United Kingdom 
JLR dealerships to become non franchise

when sat with my daughter at a local dealers while she discussed changing her car I got into a discussion with one of the sales guys who said that JLR are that fed up with their franchises giving them a bad reputation for customer care etc that all JLR dealerships are going to be managed by JLR rather than franchises.

anyone heard of this? might be a good thing as it cant get any worse at franchised dealers IMO
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #21260086th Mar 2020 9:17 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Only if they want to pay the likes of Inchcape, Sytner etc hundreds of millions of pounds to pay back their recent showroom investments across the Uk.

Which dealership were you at?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #21260106th Mar 2020 9:23 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

Available car supermarket so maybe not correct, hence ive posed the question on here and the Freel2 forum.

I (maybe wrongly) assumed when he said that, that it explained all the showroom overhauls which seem to be going half LR and half Jaguar.

Maybe JLR have at least partially paid for all the showroom changes with either the contractual agreement that the dealership would have to conform to JLR rules and standards or that the franchise owner loses the franchise role at end of contract ???
Post #21260136th Mar 2020 9:44 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Can’t see that happening across the board. Like said, would cost ££‘s to buy out the franchise agreements. Unless there are certain performance clauses that have not been met?

Post #21260176th Mar 2020 11:05 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

It is something the industry is carefully considering. Mercedes have gone on record as saying they want to move to a direct sales model, which leaves the dealerships in place as physical showrooms and centres for handover, service and repair but removes them from the sales / discounting process. Variations of this approach are being looked at across a number of brands.

Volvo sister brand Polestar are going direct sales, as are Aiway when they arrive later this year.

Tesla, as ever the disruptor, led the way on this one. They've since made substantial changes to their original distribution model and will no doubt do so again in due course.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21260196th Mar 2020 11:16 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
Can’t see that happening across the board. Like said, would cost ££‘s to buy out the franchise agreements. Unless there are certain performance clauses that have not been met?

or franchise periods come to an end....

IMO I think it would be a good thing, as long as things do actually improve for us end users and pricing is carefully monitored and value for money.... I don't call £180 per hour labour charges VFM when all they are doing is following a set process for swapping out components as advised by a piece of computer software.
Post #21260216th Mar 2020 11:20 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

We at Austin Ex Apprentices Association had an after dinner speaker 2 or 3 years ago who worked for Vertu . He said he believed the days of the big branded showrooms was numbered , the internet era would see them as just handover points and servicing. Sales would be all done online by the brand owners.

Post #21260236th Mar 2020 11:30 am
J77

Scotland 

They’ve got a cheek!!

My dealer supported me during my issues with the Velar, LR couldn’t give a flying Censored

Oil dilution on my D5 dealer was helpful but LR again buried their head in the sand.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #212886617th Mar 2020 4:06 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Didn't Jaguar do this many, many moons ago to get the standards up? Then sell on the "fixed" workshops to the franchisees.

I could be wrong ... I'm on a LOT of medication right now.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #212887517th Mar 2020 4:26 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

Ive only had dealing with LRCS once and even they were severely frustrated and annoyed with the dealer. So my experience of LR over dealer is limited but positive.

incidentally, when I was getting my tyres replaced at the weekend i had a discussion about LR dealerships and we did a little digging. (they had a RRS in with body off for turbos which prompted the chat)
I mentioned about getting my cambelts replaced by LR for £695 under the 3+ scheme and my garage were amazed as they reckoned it should cost double that so thought LR could only have replaced the front belts. (they do belt changes with body on)
my receipts all said that the 3 belts front/back had been done, so my garage called LR Chesterfield who initially said £695 but when quizzed if that was for all the belts, the LR service department came back with a price of £1300 !!

so it appears that under the 3+ scheme, the dealer only replaces the front belts but tells the customer that all the belts have been done, taking a gamble whether the HPFP belt lasts the 12 months warranty or not.
in my case the dealer lost and my car was recovered after 2 days back to them for a further 10 days on their ramps.
So once again my trust in main dealers is impacted, and maybe being under the control of JLR directly will improve this trust. Time will tell. Thumbs Up
Post #212904818th Mar 2020 8:48 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

They also don't replace the idler pulleys or aux belt for the £695...

Same as the timing belt on FL2/Evoque. £395 does not include the water pump or aux belt...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #212911418th Mar 2020 1:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: JLR dealerships to become non franchise

RogB wrote:
when sat with my daughter at a local dealers while she discussed changing her car I got into a discussion with one of the sales guys who said that JLR are that fed up with their franchises giving them a bad reputation for customer care etc that all JLR dealerships are going to be managed by JLR rather than franchises.

anyone heard of this? might be a good thing as it cant get any worse at franchised dealers IMO

Been talked about for years. I'd suggest if JLR are worried about their reputation they need to focus on reliability and building things properly, and probably the damage that has been done by the direction their brand has gone in recent years. Dealers should not be top of the to do list.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #212912418th Mar 2020 1:33 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
They also don't replace the idler pulleys or aux belt for the £695...

Same as the timing belt on FL2/Evoque. £395 does not include the water pump or aux belt...

my invoice for the belts was

HLR016655 BELT, TIMING UNIT PRICE 115.58 NET PRICE 92.47
HLR016656 KIT - INJ PUMP B UNIT PRICE 121.36 NET PRICE 97.09

And they wrote in my service book that front/back belts were changed

OSH just says cambelts changed (plus the major service items)

after this was done it went back into them 2 days later for sounding like a bag of spanners, which they diagnosed as a sheared tensioner bolt on the HPFP belt

whilst that was getting fixed they also replaced the following which they picked up as advisories on the first vist

HLR055455 FA0500 BRAKE PADS (REAR)
HSOE000025 HA0401 WIRE - BRAKE
HLR13857 TUBE - BRAKE
HLR013856 TUBE - BRAKE
HLR019897 CLIP - SPECIAL
HLR013761 CLIP - SPECIAL
HSYC100530 CLIP

And charged me £70.88 for this.
Post #212915018th Mar 2020 2:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1