Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

JLR Paying for a replacement motor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Bluemike28

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
JLR Paying for a replacement motor

Hi All,

New to the forum and trying to get my head around the dreaded crank issue.

I note that there are occasional mentions of JLR stepping up to cover the replacement cost of a motor IF there is consistent service history in place.

Is this an absolute? Are there factors to consider in play beyond service history?

The D4 I am in process of purchasing has a full JLR service history (last 2 services were an accredited indy but do show on the JLR history search). The service intervals were every 12 months or less and much less on mileage than the book would advise. Is this a good enough history to feel comfortable with the purchase and/or to have confidence JLR would step up in the event of the unthinkable?

Thanks in advance for your input and my apologies if this has been covered already.

Post #23523626th Nov 2023 6:12 pm
G3Z

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think you should go in with the mindset that JLR will not cover a replacement (up to 50% possible, but also highly unlikely).

If you wouldn’t buy one if the cost is up to you, then find another vehicle, personally.

How old is the D4 you’re looking at, out of curiosity?
 Defender 110 2.4 TDCi Utility Station Wagon.

2007 Disco 3 GS TDV6 Manual
200,000+ mile club 😎 

Post #23523696th Nov 2023 6:48 pm
Bluemike28

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

It is a 2016 MY with about 47k miles on the odometer.

Post #23523716th Nov 2023 6:55 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

G3Z wrote:
I think you should go in with the mindset that JLR will not cover a replacement (up to 50% possible, but also highly unlikely).

Agree. Any contribution would be considered a bonus.

Post #23523736th Nov 2023 7:15 pm
Peakwayfarer

England 

I also agree, I sold my 2016 Landmark after the crankshaft failed at circa 20k miles and 2.5 years old, LR replaced the engines and turbos, took them a month, during which time I had a RR sport to run around in, but spoke to LR several times about warranty etc. LR said the warranty on the whole car expires at three years, and that I should consider taking out the LR extended warranty. However, after talking to the warranty company, (Carplan, if I recall correctly), they said they wouldn't cover it as it was a "known manufacturing fault" but instead would approach LR for a goodwill gesture!

I then spoke with LR again and was advised goodwill was not guaranteed but done on a case by case basis, but that I would get "enhanced" goodwill with a full LR dealer service history.

Based on what I had been told as above and the size of the repair bill for mine around £22k, as advised by dealership (although the cost of engines has reduced as some are remanufactured I understand).

Anyway decided that as I had recently retired, I wasn't prepared to take the finacial risk, either in loss of capital or massive repair bill is the goodwill didnt occur, so sadly collected it from repairing dealer drove it home and promptly traded it in, still miss the car as it was probably the nicest and most practical car I have ever owned and apart the engine it was very reliable.

Having said that if the repair costs are now vaguely sensible, I might have another one as it was a great car, but personally I wouldnt buy one, on the basis of a good will engine replacement or contribution, or a warranty for that matter.

But also bear in mind there are a very large number of extremely happy owners out there who have done many many miles relatively trouble free, and a few like me who had a bad experience. sadly it has put me off LR after 20 odd years of ownership.

Post #23523966th Nov 2023 9:27 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bluemike28 wrote:

full JLR service history (last 2 services were an accredited indy .

Hi,

think you would find JLR don't agree with you, and its not Full JLR

agree as above IF they offered anything it would be a Big bonus think you would have better odds buying a lottery ticket to cover the cost if it did happen Laughing

don't let it put you off, if you fancy a D4 get one, you normally only regret the thinks you don't do and only sometimes regret the things you do Laughing

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #23524026th Nov 2023 10:09 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Bluemike28 wrote:
It is a 2016 MY with about 47k miles on the odometer.

And? Its a seven year old motor. I think you should just assume, based on previous comments and experience, that JLR won't be interested. Its hard enough for them to deal with new cars in warranty!

You'd probably be better off just getting a new short block.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #23524176th Nov 2023 11:37 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

A JLR recon short motor will be 6.5k plus two turbos soon add up and thats before any labour . 2 years warranty on that. There have not been any new engines for some time due to the attrition rate .
From what i was told when mine was done 7yrs is the cut off date. JLR are slowly getting out of that hole just a few d5 to get to the cut off age.
There is nothing quite like the feeling when it goes and your told that the Extended warranty doesnt cover the replacement. I was very lucky and had bought from a very good dealership and they picked mine up and did everything covering 100% of the cost, it had 67k on the clock and was 5yrs old. They were not my local franchise who basically told me I was on my own and wouldnt even diagnose the car. I had had 6 discoveries off them up to then but never another or any of the other brands they sell. So much for JLR making out the wonderful care you will get because they are all one happy family.
Getting back to the OPs question im afraid the car doesn't have a full JLR service history so if it will be a source of worry to you that you can do without. As for these people who say its worth the risk just to drive one perhaps they have more money than sense. Mine wont be treated to another engine if it goes again although I do have a little warrnty left 2weeks! Rolling with laughter

Post #23524317th Nov 2023 8:01 am
Bluemike28

I really appreciate all the input from everyone who replied back.

One point I would love to better understand is "Full JLR History".

What I thought I understood was that if the service history shows on the JRL site (by VIN search), then it is considered JLR History and that this could include accredited independent shops as well as JLR dealerships. Is this incorrect?

Thanks in advance for any further insight!

Post #23524387th Nov 2023 10:05 am
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I am not sure you'll ever satisfy yourself on the question of 'will JLR stump up if my crank goes". You'll get plenty of opinions and maybe even other's experiences but at the end of the day you need to decide whether to buy a 7 year old car.

However, MY view is that the two 'Indy' services (depending upon who they are with..) are a good sign (hopefully) and that the vehicle has received better attention that a dealer will ever give it. Having said that, at 47k it shouldn't have needed much attention.

If I were you I'd contact Warranty Direct. I think they'd take on your car at that age and mileage. If you talk to them they should cover engine and crank. They always used to. They have changed hands but were imho the better of Warranty companies.

Expect to pay about £2k for three years cover. And with top level cover (I'd not bother with audio cover) you'll probably use it for other items.

Go for it, they're great vehicles but if you are going to constantly worry about the crank buy something else. I'm on my second D4 and both this and the previous have been brilliant vehicles and both were/are over 90k miles and going strong.

Maintenance. Routine and preventative is crucial and drive them, not just short school runs, these vehicles hate that. Drive them decent miles and enjoy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #23524577th Nov 2023 1:50 pm
Bluemike28

I checked with Warranty Direct and OMG, the price was EYEWATERING!!!

Near as 2,400 quid/year for Silver level cover. They won't even quote for the Gold cover anymore as the price exceeds their systems pricing matrix!

Post #23524597th Nov 2023 1:58 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

My view would be forget about Warranty Direct and other warranty companies.

When you buy the car put-aside £X for "warranty work" - not for routine servicing & replacement of consumables.

Pay for "warranty work" out of that fund, and add an additional £y each year to the fund.

You must decide what £x & £y should be - we all have different ideas.

In reaching that decision I would take into account what the varied warranty quote for cover.

NJSS

Post #23524627th Nov 2023 2:54 pm
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Again just another opinion, but if it were me, I'd assume that LR won't pay anything toward a replacement engine if the worst were to happen.

I think my personal criteria would be: can I afford the car without taking on debt, if yes, then could I comfortably afford to replace the engine if it went wrong or would I find it financially extremely painful / impossible to do? If still yes to the affordability question then I'd probably buy the car as I think they're fantastic vehicles and there's nothing else I'd rather drive. And if you do go for it, try not to worry about the crank all the time when you're driving it Thumbs Up

Post #23524637th Nov 2023 3:01 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

disco chris - Thumbs Up Well said.

I didn't renew the Warranty Direct on my D4 in June 2022 because of the, IMO, absurdly high premium, and am now self-insuring both the D4 & My MB SL350.

NJSS

Post #23524687th Nov 2023 3:18 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bluemike28 wrote:

understand is "Full JLR History".!

Hi,

think that ones easy, Has every service been done by a JLR dealership, if not then its NOT full JLR history,

other garages can service a car and it will still be acceptable for a warranty claim (there are boxes to tick) but this is not the same, some can update the vehicles on-line history but again this is still Not JLR history
and as said some Indeps will give a Better service for less ££ and better Value than a main dealer
on a 7 year old car I would be looking at Who and what has been done recently and a main dealer stamp would Not be swaying me Whistle

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #23525097th Nov 2023 9:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >