DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Judder on steering @ speeds from 50 - 70mph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
AndrewB

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Judder on steering @ speeds from 50 - 70mph

Hi all,

I just wanted to pick some brains about an issue I have at present with my Discovery 3 2.7TD 2007MY, 73k miles. I have had the car for 3 years and when I first bought it it had quite a bad judder / vibration throught the steering wheel. It basically shakes from side to side at speeds of 50 - 70mph, this happens when accelarating and also de-celerating to a lesser effect, but not when braking. I had the car back to the dealer on countless occasions for this fault, which I originally reported on the test drive. Please excuse some of my technical terms here in-case I'm wrong, but they claimed they had checked / replaced tie rods & ball joints, lower steering column (for a knocking sound, I had to tell them this after they had the car in 4 times, read it on here!) and eventually the full steering column & a hydrobush? apparently on the advice of a landrover technical rep they finally involved. It still wasnt great so they changed all 4 tyres from TOYO to Goodyear Efficient grip tyres (18 inch) for no extra charge. They then sent the car for further 4 wheel alignment, this was a joke as on 2 occasions when the car came back they hadnt reset the steering wheel and I had to hold it at 2 o'clock to get the car to straight. It is worth pointing out I had all of this work done free of charge after getting Landrover CR involved. This seemed to finally fix the issue 6 months down the line.

More recently the fault seems to have come back. I have recently had the car serviced (within last 4 weeks) at a different LR dealer who gave it a 'health check'. Reading this they have alledgedly checked the driveshafts steering and suspension and marked it all as 'green' or no action required. The only other significant thing that has happened in the last 3 months I have had 3 punctures on 3 different tyres (all different occasions). My wife took the car to my local tyre guy as I was away at the time and he repaired the punctures and alledgedly balanced the tyres, my wife said the guy definately did not put the tyre in a machine hence I find it hard to belive the wheels have been balanced. I am having to hold the steering wheel slightly to the right to get the car to go straight, but not so much that it is noticeable.

Over the course of this weekend I have tried a few different tyre pressures to see if it makes any difference, the standard guidelines on the door of 33psi / 36 psi make the car feel heavy and cumbersome in my opinion. I have tried 35psi / 39 psi, 38 / 40 psi and also 36 / 42 psi (I tow a caravan) which seems to give the best ride, but on all of these different pressures the judder is definately back. I drove about 20 miles yesterday, urban and dual carrigeway then felt each individual wheel and none were excessively hot or have any more brake dust on than normal, the disks and pads are within 12 months old front and rear and we have only done about 7000 miles in the last year.

I am thinking / hoping the wheels just need a balanced and a 4 wheel alignment done (with the car in the Tight tolerance mode in relation to EAS) due to the fact the tyres have been on and off and this fault is now back. Could the symtomns I describe be a result of the balance / alignment being out?

Also I live near South Shields in the North East on England, can anyone recommend someone in Sunderland or Newcastle that does this kind of work? The only one I can find is Les Potts 4 x 4 in Sunderland who advertise the equipment to put the car into tight tolerance mode and use a 'Hoffman 3d machine to do the work'. Has anyone had any dealings with this garage?

Apologies for the length of this post, but I am getting somewhat tired of being fobbed off by expensive dealers who do not give the work the time and skill it perhaps requires.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

Post #168404924th Jul 2016 3:08 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Are your wheels hot after this juddering? Check carefully!! If so, would point to binding brake calipers or EPB.

Post #168405024th Jul 2016 3:13 pm
AndrewB

Thanks for the reply, but no definitely no hot wheels, I have checked them all today and yesterday after different types of driving but none are hot or a different temp to the others if you know what I mean!

Post #168405124th Jul 2016 3:16 pm
Disgoeshere

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Have used these guys a couple of times,worth a go maybe they are at Gateshead.

http://www.teamvalley.landrover.co.uk/

Good luck Thumbs Up
 Andy

07MY (8A) D3 2.7 TDV6 Manual SE

New oil pump, water pump, cam belt - DM
New prop, new clutch TVLR,Beanie Grille,Black & Silver Badges
All Filters, oil change,clock on dash,4x4 info,RLD Protector,silicone hoses
Front and Rear TRW low Dust dtec V8 brake upgrade,new oil sump 

Post #168406224th Jul 2016 3:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewB

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Post #168406324th Jul 2016 3:46 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

AndrewB wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but no definitely no hot wheels, I have checked them all today and yesterday after different types of driving but none are hot or a different temp to the others if you know what I mean!

Thumbs Up

Post #168406924th Jul 2016 4:24 pm
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Could be the tyres, repairs may be going egg shaped.
Just a thought

Thumbs Up
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #168414124th Jul 2016 7:25 pm
AndrewB

Thanks Alan, I've had a good a look as I can with the wheels on but I think I've decided to get the balance / alignment checked, and I'll also be able to have a good look at the tyres at that point. With the punctures I had 2 were repaired and one was a new tyre, so it's certainly a possibility.

Post #168414624th Jul 2016 7:42 pm
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Sound like rear wheels need rebalancing, typically the back end if vibration over 50mph. Thats the fastest cheapest check before looking at other areas
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #168417824th Jul 2016 8:49 pm
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I had this before I got the front suspension arms replaced (advisory at two separate garages). But not cheap, and not your first point to check.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #168419024th Jul 2016 9:14 pm
AndrewB

Yeah I think I'll definitely go with the wheel re-balanced first, hadn't known it was more likely to be the back end at that speed so that's a good tip.

Is it better to get a 4 wheel alignment done at the same time rather than just the wheels balanced?

Post #168420424th Jul 2016 9:35 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Tyre fitters will charge per wheel balanced. I would start with the two rears first.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #168427925th Jul 2016 9:06 am
driverbus70

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Firenze RedDiscovery 3

Hi yes sounds like tyre balance is out. At my work I Drive a Mercedes Vito which also developed shocking vibration. Turned out it was a cracked & buckled front wheel. Which was replaced. Later on it again developed an other vibration which turned out to be a worn prop shaft bearing. I know it's difficult to pin these things down just giving you some clues? Good luck John

Post #168449225th Jul 2016 7:42 pm
AndrewB

Thanks all for the replies and ideas, it's much appreciated, I have the car booked in in the morning to get the rear wheels balanced, I'll post the result in-case anyone else had this problem in future. Hoping this is all it is

Cheers

Andy

Post #168454025th Jul 2016 9:18 pm
ben9981

United Kingdom 2006 LR3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackLR3

Andy- did this ever get resolved fully? I have the same issue and have replaced most parts without a resolution

Post #21268569th Mar 2020 8:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >