DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Juddering in 1st gear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jaqoda

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Juddering in 1st gear

Hi all

I've owned my (manual) D3 GS for a few months now. When I first got it I took it to an indy LR garage for a general check over, they noted some noise from the transmission that would need further work to know what it is.

Over the last few weeks I've noticed when setting off in 1st, a slight judder at the top of the clutch as I let it out.

Took it for a spin this Sunday and it started to feel like it's struggling to put the power down in 1st and 2nd – to drive it almost felt like the turbo wasn't working as there was very little power in first and second (suspect this is the clutch slipping?). No lights on dash at present other than my EPB warning light which I assume is unrelated.

I'm taking it in this week to the garage, but does anyone have any clue what I should expect other than a large bill?

Post #20579983rd Jun 2019 10:37 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did you check that the EPB was not causing a drag on the rear wheels

Post #20580013rd Jun 2019 10:47 am
jaqoda

I haven't.

The EPB issue has been cropping up a fair bit recently, I cleared the fault and it kept coming back so I assumed I just needed the strip and clean it. Didn't think about it dragging, where would I need to look to see if this is happening? On the plus side I'm guessing this would be fairly inexpensive to fix.

Post #20580023rd Jun 2019 10:54 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Juddering in 1st gear

jaqoda wrote:
Hi all

I've owned my (manual) D3 GS for a few months now. When I first got it I took it to an indy LR garage for a general check over, they noted some noise from the transmission that would need further work to know what it is.

Over the last few weeks I've noticed when setting off in 1st, a slight judder at the top of the clutch as I let it out.

Took it for a spin this Sunday and it started to feel like it's struggling to put the power down in 1st and 2nd – to drive it almost felt like the turbo wasn't working as there was very little power in first and second (suspect this is the clutch slipping?). No lights on dash at present other than my EPB warning light which I assume is unrelated.

I'm taking it in this week to the garage, but does anyone have any clue what I should expect other than a large bill?

Sounds like your pilot bearing is shot, and /or the clutch disc is failing too! New clutch, Pressure plate, Disc, Release Bearing, and Pilot bearing. Have an Indy look at it and don't give it to cowboys or it will come back with more problems than it went in with.
In the meantime, do not use throttle until the clutch pedal is fully released! This should reduce the vibration significantly. The car is more than capable of taking up its load from standstill without throttle. (unless of course you are on a hill or incline)
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #20580193rd Jun 2019 12:21 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Gear position sensor fault will illuminate Park brake warning . When you change gear, is any position slow to come up on display, followed by park brake fault after a initial start.

Post #20580443rd Jun 2019 1:36 pm
jaqoda

L319 wrote:
Gear position sensor fault will illuminate Park brake warning . When you change gear, is any position slow to come up on display, followed by park brake fault after a initial start.

Yes, the gear indicators on the dash are slow to come up – only do so once clutch is fully released.

Post #20581043rd Jun 2019 5:10 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had the EPB warning coming on back in 2005 on a manual. I think it was into 4th that caused the problem on mine. . Recalibration of position sensor cured it , but I suspect your judder is another issue. Search XY calibration

Post #20581193rd Jun 2019 6:25 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

jaqoda wrote:
I haven't.

The EPB issue has been cropping up a fair bit recently, I cleared the fault and it kept coming back so I assumed I just needed the strip and clean it. Didn't think about it dragging, where would I need to look to see if this is happening? On the plus side I'm guessing this would be fairly inexpensive to fix.

Take it for a run and then check if any of the rear wheels are hot

Post #20582093rd Jun 2019 11:58 pm
jaqoda

Took it to the indy today, definitely the clutch as I could smell it when I arrived at the garage Confused

Apparently the clutch can cause the EPB dash warning (according to the bloke there).

Post #20583894th Jun 2019 4:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >