Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Jumping in 1st/2nd
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
graemem

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Jumping in 1st/2nd

When I am crawling along in traffic slowsy, i.e. foot off the gas or just on and I am in first or second, the car tends to start jumping or jerking, also in this situation the car tends to jolt when putting the foot on the gas. (gently).

I also tried the brake test and the car is very keen to stall. This is the opposite to my experiences on the landrover training day. Is my gear box duff?

I am driving a TDV6 SE Manual

Post #2960524th Nov 2005 12:15 am
BN

England 
Re: Jumping in 1st/2nd

graemem wrote:
When I am crawling along in traffic slowsy, i.e. foot off the gas or just on and I am in first or second, the car tends to start jumping or jerking, also in this situation the car tends to jolt when putting the foot on the gas. (gently).

I also tried the brake test and the car is very keen to stall. This is the opposite to my experiences on the landrover training day. Is my gear box duff?

No they all tend to be a little prone to this, it is testbook adjustment yet again. When you tried the brake test, did you slowly press the pedal or stab it?

Post #2961324th Nov 2005 8:56 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've experienced this too and the anti stall if fine of you give the D3 chance to work itself out. In Lo its amazing. Maybe in Hi its not quite to eager to kick in ??

I also see a drop in power when going 1st to 2nd most times. Makes for jerky pull offs and juddering when doing a steep hill start.

If a test book thing hopefully will be fixed next week when she's serviced.

Will let you know.

Post #2961824th Nov 2005 9:48 am
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

graemem wrote:

Graemem,

Finally someone else has got this problem, I have been telling my dealer about this for ages but they tell me it is normal.

I don't believe them as I have spoken to guys on this forum and they have all agreed that it is not right.

How old is you Disco?? as mine seems to be getting worse with age especially the jolting when slowly pressing the accelerator pedal, to the point where I do not like driving my car in traffic (which defeats the idea of having a car Rolling Eyes )

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #2965624th Nov 2005 2:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine is lumpier at low revs but is due for a service to hope this is adjusted then.

-s

Post #2966124th Nov 2005 2:38 pm
Roddy

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I find 1st ia OK, it's 2nd that I sometimes getb the 'kangaroo petrol'.

But on asimilar vein, am I imagining it or is there a delay on the clutch? Often when I depress the clutch when stopping, I get a judder from ther engine, as if it's going to stall even with the clutch pedal on the floor.
 Discovery 3 'S' Bonatti Grey.  
Post #2967024th Nov 2005 4:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
graemem

BN wrote:

No they all tend to be a little prone to this, it is testbook adjustment yet again. When you tried the brake test, did you slowly press the pedal or stab it?

I have tried both, the gentle way seems to exasperate the problem but stabbing it seems to make it jump but sort itself out correctly

Post #2972024th Nov 2005 8:11 pm
graemem

marc wrote:

Graemem,

Finally someone else has got this problem, I have been telling my dealer about this for ages but they tell me it is normal.

I don't believe them as I have spoken to guys on this forum and they have all agreed that it is not right.

How old is you Disco?? as mine seems to be getting worse with age especially the jolting when slowly pressing the accelerator pedal, to the point where I do not like driving my car in traffic (which defeats the idea of having a car Rolling Eyes )

Cheers

Marc

My Disco was first registered in March, I bought it in August (ex demo) but it has got progressively worse over the last few weeks. I know what you mean about not wanting to drive it in traffic. When I leave the airport at night there is usually about a 15-20 minute crawl up the hill to the M1 and it is stop start all the way and the car just hates it.

Post #2972124th Nov 2005 8:13 pm
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

graemem wrote:
marc wrote:

Graemem,

Cheers

Marc

My Disco was first registered in March, I bought it in August (ex demo) but it has got progressively worse over the last few weeks. I know what you mean about not wanting to drive it in traffic. When I leave the airport at night there is usually about a 15-20 minute crawl up the hill to the M1 and it is stop start all the way and the car just hates it.

Graemem,

Yes I am the same, I have to drive in slow moving traffic for some of my journey on the way home and some nights I get very wound up by it and by the time I get home I feel really angry with the car (and the dealers for not believing that there is a problem with it).

In a funny way I am happy that someone else has got the same problem but it does show that it is quite a unique problem (So it obviously is an issue and not the norm as my dealer thinks)

On a positive side there is a kind of fix albeit not much, and that is to put the car into the 'snow, gravel, grass' setting when in traffic as it seems to make the accelerator less harsh and smooths out the jerking (but not totally).

Try it as it does seem to help on mine, but obviously the dealer will need to fix this very annoying fault.

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #2984625th Nov 2005 5:37 pm
graemem

marc wrote:

On a positive side there is a kind of fix albeit not much, and that is to put the car into the 'snow, gravel, grass' setting when in traffic as it seems to make the accelerator less harsh and smooths out the jerking (but not totally).

Try it as it does seem to help on mine, but obviously the dealer will need to fix this very annoying fault.

Now I had never even considered that, thanks Marc. I am kind of looking forward to my next traffic adventure now (in a perverse sort of way!!!)

Post #2986525th Nov 2005 8:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >