Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Just bought an 05 plate D3 HSE - what should I do first?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Coolant change interval is 10 years, brake fluid interval is 3 years. I don’t think either has a prohibitive cost to not change them if it’s unclear when it was done the last time.

Post #202718810th Feb 2019 12:21 pm
Geoff at Drym

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

There's no doubting that these are expensive beasts to run. However, I treat mine as if it's a fairly pricey pastime. That way I know it is not going to be cheap! But when you are out in the old girl she does tend to put a smile on your face, and she's pretty good at pulling out small trees and hedges. I pull a fairly large trailer on occasions (3500kilo) and also fill the inside up with tat for the local dump.

My suggestion would be to regularly change oils and filters especially if you are doing many short trips. Is yours automatic? In which case a gearbox flush (megaflush) every 60,000 miles as recommended by ZF is a must. LRs lifetime or 150,000 miles is definitely a no no.

I like the sound of your proposed garage with lift Thumbs Up

Just for the record, I changed my belts and oil pump on the drive. Took about a day and a bit but it was the first attempt, so it can be done a lot quicker.

I have to use an indy now as following major heart surgery I can no longer tackle these big jobs. I wish you well with your acquisition and I'm sure you will (mainly) thoroughly enjoy your new hobby!!
 2007 Disco3 2.7 tdv6 SE
gvif with reversing camera
V8 brakes with new EPB module and shoes
Later D4 grille
Alive tuning remap
Mazda MX5
Ferguson ted20 tractor
Hyundai Getz 1.4 (wife's ) 

Post #202719010th Feb 2019 12:35 pm
MrBlam

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yes, get yourself a gospel of St. Haynes. They are an absolute bible for any car, not just a Landy! Save you a fortune in labour charges for repairs, maintenance, and upgrades.

Access for the oil, air, and pollen filters are a piece of cake. Getting to the sump plug is fine but you do need to remove the metal plate that protects the underside of the engine and that's a bit heavy. Nothing one person can't tackle alone though. Easiest way to get to it is to set the suspension to off-road height and slide on under there.

The fuel filter is also behind a plate but it's right next to the gearbox so access is a bit trickier, even with the suspension right up. Being on the slightly porky side of life I had to jack the old girl up a few more inches (remember to use axle stands). The brackets for the fuel filter are a bit fiddly to reach and can put up a fight if previous mechanics have scrimped on the copper-slip. The feed pipes can also be a bit fiddly too, but patience and perseverance will win out eventually.

Brakes is all down to your confidence in your own abilities. It's no more difficult to replace the brake fluid on a Landy than it is on any other car, but check out the pipes and connectors. I had to replace mine just last week after a suspension drop-link came off and broke a very fragile hard-pipe on the rear wishbone. It was old and brittle, and after my mechanic and I fixed one side he inspected the other, puncturing it in the process of scraping the crud off of it.

I've not looked at replacing the coolant but if it's anything like other cars, again, it's not hard... drain the old fluid, replace with new.

For reference, my D3 is a 55-reg with about 135k miles, so not far different from yours. Smile

Post #202720810th Feb 2019 1:50 pm
Henda

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Invest in a gap diagnostic tool it's a must
Reads ,clears faults
Does adjustments and resets
Etc etc Thumbs Up
 All transmission oil replaced
3 flash indicators
All timing belts changed
EPB serviced
De cat fitted
Wind deflectors
De-tango done
Tints fitted
Egr blanked 

Post #202721110th Feb 2019 1:57 pm
D&G

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

+ for Iid tool. It seems lot of money but it will quickly pay for itself.

Without it I wouldn't have been able to post my fault codes here, which was then diagnosed as a steering angle sensor. I then followed a post on here to fix it and recalibrate via the tool.

All it cost me was £1 worth of Gripfill. Not sure how much an Indi would have charged.
 An honorable defeat is better than a dishonorable victory.” ― Millard Fillmore

2006 Disco 3
Gas Gas 300ec / Gas Gas tx249 / Bandit 1250
XR 650r / Pajero 2.8 Lifted and Safari Snorkel-gone. 

Post #202721410th Feb 2019 2:07 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Haynes book ordered. Good old Amazon, delivering tomorrow. I’ll get a GAP tool next payday, almost everyone I’ve met on the forum recommends one.

Thanks re the comments on the drivebelts etc, but I’m not sure I have the time (or confidence at the moment) to tackle that one at home so I’ll pass it over to the pro. Same for the fuel filters.

Geoff I agree about the hobby comment. I’ve bought this very much with that in mind and I am building the workshop so I’ve got somewhere to enjoy it. Having the right tools should make learning these things a pleasure. I used to do things like the brakes on my old Jag SType 2.7 TDV6, at the busy roadside on my old house. Poor tools and a crappy work environment made it miserable. Hopefully a decent garage workshop and decent tools will make all the difference.

Kajtzu. Thanks for the note on coolant intervals. I’ll deffo add that to the list and I may have a go on that.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #202730310th Feb 2019 7:34 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Brief update on a few things... I’ve moved the oil service, coolant flush and filters to the DIY jobs. Also added the bits in red.

PRO Jobs to do

Both belts front and rear
Fuel filter
Gearbox flush
Refurbish the wheels (I planned on changing them but yesterday noticed Paganuk’s D3 for sale on here and I love the grey refurb on this wheel style, so am going to do that instead. Photo below)
Oil pump and sump

My driveway jobs

New headlight washer (missing)
Oil service, filters
Coolant replace
Replacement speaker on the instrument cluster (it’s missing the indicator tick and the headlight alarm)
Replace sidelight bulbs (one not working)
Replace switches in the right of the steering wheel (the skip-right button doesn’t work meaning I can’t get into the cars Settings menu)
New windscreen wipers (bought yesterday, will fit in the daylight on Friday)
New latch to the second row seat (one of the the plastic grab latches is missing so I cannot fold that seat down)
Sort Bluetooth out (my phone connects, but drops it each time I turn the engine off and it needs re-pairing each time)
Full valet inside
Add DAB somehow
New battery install (it was slow to start at zero degree yesterday and when doing so, the radio wouldn’t start and the HDC warning came up. Both resolved when the engine had ran for about 10 mins. I’ve bought a new Yuasa HSB 019 Silver battery yesterday, will fit it in the daylight on Friday. That battery seems to be recommended by many on this forum. Cost £134.00 at Halfords)
Touch up paint to the numerous scuffs and hedge scratches (none are too deep) and a full flattening and polishing
Sort faulty parking sensors (message centre says the fronts are faulty) which might be related to the faulty speaker in the instrument cluster

Onwards...!

2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #202769112th Feb 2019 3:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >