Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Just bought Warranty Direct cover 1yr in advance, am I daft?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Just bought Warranty Direct cover 1yr in advance, am I daft?

I have read with interest the warranty offerings about and decided that although my manufacturers warranty does not run out until Jan 2012 to see what was about. I ended up with warranty direct, paying 10% now and the rest in full when it starts, this is the deal I got, does it seem OK (bit late now though I guess, but I was put on the spot to accept this one off deal!)

Discovery 3 GS MY09

Warranty Direct Luxury Care Cover

Includes all electrical items (Sat Nav, heated seats, uprated radio, all the stuff I don't have in a GS Sad )

13months for the price of 12mths

£50 excess

Franchised dealer, no rate limit

Genuine LR parts

Airbag & Emissions covered

Includes wear & tear

Claim Limit to value of vehicle

No betterment (but I only do low miles)

Cost £535

So is this fair or not? I thought it was and have taken a gamble at fixing for next year, was this a daft idea? I guess it will also give a cue to others as to what rates are around, you may even get better as some people seem to be able to barter with them.

Post #76157314th Feb 2011 8:26 pm
A1GSS

England 

That's a good price imho. Best I've been offered by them (same pkg) is £575.
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #76168514th Feb 2011 10:34 pm
packingstrips

When you make a claim do you have to pay the dealer and then claim it back from Warranty Direct?

Post #76169714th Feb 2011 10:47 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Yes but as long as your claim is authorised, which needs to be done before the garage starts, then (from my experience) they send you a cheque after not too long.

Post #76170114th Feb 2011 10:52 pm
Discotres

You have to remember that my vehicle is a manual GS, so with some of the stuff in the Luxury care, they know I will never claim for like heated seats, heated windows, satnav e.t.c.

I only know what I have read and thanks to those that have contributed in the quote thread, it certainly gave me the heads up. I didn't add this to the quote thread as I had already bought it, but maybe I should have.

I did ask about having a zero excess instead of the £50 but I think they were at as low as they would go and would not budge. I think it is a fair price and I have taken a risk paying for it a year in advance, well they only have my deposit so I guess if they go belly up then that is all I have lost. I just pay the balance the day before cover starts in Jan 12, and the price is fixed, I don't know if there will be an increase this year or whether they will do special offers, but at least I have peace of mind that I am covered for the 4th year now.

What did concern me was a clause about faulty parts or workmanship, bearing in mind most of my warranty work has been due to either of these I wonder where I stand if they blame it on a known fault that the Discovery 3's have Shocked

*One other important thing, if you go for luxury care then you must have your car serviced by a main dealer, or that is what I was told, whether that means the same as LR warranty which includes using an independent and LR parts I'm not sure, but something to bear in mind. I do use a main dealer so not a problem for me, just flagging it up for others who may use other means for servicing.

Thanks again Wink

Post #76173014th Feb 2011 11:41 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

You have purchased an insurance policy so you have 14 days to change your mind without need for a reason.

Post #76179315th Feb 2011 9:39 am
Discotres

That's a point. just looked at their site, they actually give you 30 days which is nice of them Wink

So shall I stay or shall I go now? Very Happy

Last edited by Discotres on 15th Feb 2011 11:22 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #76182715th Feb 2011 11:04 am
Peternc

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Based on the same parameters as Discotres, I've just got the following quotes for my 07 reg XS:-

Warranty Direct £785 for 13 months (original email offer was about £1,000, they call you after a couple of days if you haven't responded to their email)

Warranty Wise £696 for 12 months

I haven't yet looked through the small print to see which is the better value

Post #76183115th Feb 2011 11:10 am
Discotres

I wonder what items make the difference in price?

ICE
Auto
GS / XE / HSE model

By the way, please don't let my premium be known to the public as it was a 'one off' deal, or so they said. I think with all the info that people have shared on here, it certainly lets you go in with a little knowledge and not vulnerable, when I questioned items such as betterment, emissions e.t.c. it seemed to take her by surprise that I knew so much, so thanks again to all who have participated in this and other threads on the subject as I have also learnt a hell of a lot Wink

Post #76183515th Feb 2011 11:19 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

They can't hold you to servicing only at main dealers, it does need to be serviced to LR standards though. I'd get them to confirm that to you, but otherwise it's a great price and it means yoiu won't have the usual 3 months wait to be able to claim as you've taken it out when you still have an existing warranty Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #76183915th Feb 2011 11:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Re: Just bought Warranty Direct cover 1yr in advance, am I d

Discotres wrote:
am I daft?

Yes but this might be one of your most sensible moves! From experience and IMHO running one if these without a warranty is daft. Thumbs Up

Post #76184415th Feb 2011 11:47 am
Discotres

I didn't really mean getting a warrant being daft, I meant locking in and buying a year in advance, was that daft? See they could go bust, they could reduce their prices, they could have an amazing offer just before next Christmas with discounts and 10mths interest free as some seem to have had this year, or I could have sold the car or died without benefiting from it. Now I am committed I would have to sell the car and let someone else benefit from a warranty I had paid for, but I guess that could be a selling point Wink

Post #76184915th Feb 2011 11:55 am
SN

Bodsy wrote:
it means yoiu won't have the usual 3 months wait to be able to claim as you've taken it out when you still have an existing warranty Thumbs Up
Is that a general rule? You have to sign up starting at Day 1 (and Pay at Day 1) but you can't claim until Day 90? Does that mean you'd only actually get 9 months cover for 12 months money? I say this as I let my warranty expire and currently (3 months later) not got a warranty in place - I'm not going to mention anything about issues I may or may not have as that would only put the mockers on it... Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #76191815th Feb 2011 1:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 
Re: Just bought Warranty Direct cover 1yr in advance, am I d

DSL wrote:
Discotres wrote:
am I daft?

Yes but this might be one of your most sensible moves! From experience and IMHO running one if these without a warranty is daft. Thumbs Up

Touching wood quickly, I haven't had warranty for 2 years. Iain is going to do the ball joints next month (I presume warranty wouldn't cover this) and he has been to sort a leak. It is an 06 plate with 73K on the clock that tows big caravans and horse boxes. My top tip is to swap faulty parts with an immaculate blue one in Surrey when the owner isn't looking Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #76192215th Feb 2011 1:59 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yup, that's usually correct unless you have negotiated at the point of sale (and have it in writing). OR you have an existing warranty in place. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #76192315th Feb 2011 2:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >