Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Just done Simpson Desert crossing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DiscoJools

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Just done Simpson Desert crossing

Have just driven from Melbourne to Birdsville across Simpson Desert to Mount Dare and the Oodnadatta Track and back down via the Flinders Ranges to Melbourne in my 05 D3 doing a total of 5000ks. Also on the trip were another 2008 D3, an 08 diesel Hilux and a diesel Jeep Wrangler LWB. My D3 has ARB bar, Safari snorkel and sparewheel carrier and runs Grabber AT2s. The other D3 was the same except no bar but had 120ltr longrange fueltank. The Hilux had everything plus modded suspension! Also the Jeep had a suspension upgrade.
Was interested to see whether the suspension dropping at 50kph was a nuisance or not. Have to say that it was for about 10% of the actual desert crossing but most of the time speeds above 40 were not possible due to the rough terrain.Annoying to hear the warning ding ding when taking a run at a dune! There were a couple of times on fast dirt roads (@ normal height) that I bottomed out though.
Was a little disappointed with Sand mode and the gearbox set in Drive (all in highrange). When climbing dunes with foot to the floor for momentum it would change into 2nd gear and the engine would go offboost resulting in sometimes not making it over the dune. Found it was better to go to manual mode where it was better so long as I did not lift off the throttle. Also wish DSC could be completely turned off, it was still too intrusive even when deactivated.
Was surprised how well the D3's 18" AT2s did in the sand. (the Hilux had 16s and the Jeep 17s) We all ran our tyres at 16-18psi in the desert and 24-27 on the dirt roads. We all got stuck at one time or another. We had no punctures. The Hilux's BFG ATs cleaned much better than the AT2s when we had a day of mud driving from Broken Hill up the dog fence.
We had no breakdowns although my handbrake gave up early on the trip (I didn't use it from then on) and the other D3's handbrake gave up when he got back to Melbourne. In both cases excessive dust ingress was the problem. Oh for a manual transmission brake!!
Interesting to note that both D3s ran standard suspension with no probs whereas the Hilux and Jeep both had upgraded suspension. The Jeep's was b..gered at the end of the trip though!!

Anyway a great trip I would recommend to everybody.
 2.7 D4 eDiff, Traxide Dual battery, Safari Snorkel...Opposite Lock winch bar..extra set 17" wheels with 245/70/17 BFG KM2 MTs..Warrior winch..Long range tank.
1982 2dr RRC renovated.
1983 Range Rover 2dr fitted with 300Tdi (with bigger turbo), 40mm body lift, Warn 9000i winch and BFG MT 265/75/16. Rear Maxidrive locker
1976 Landcruiser BJ40 with tipper body for the farm!! 

Post #48898830th Jun 2009 11:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Sounds like a great trip Jools Thumbs Up

Make sure you get some photos up for us

How long did it take you?
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #48899730th Jun 2009 11:43 am
DiscoJools

G'day Tanters
trip took nearly two and half weeks... As for pics haven't worked out how to post them yet!!

Disco Jools
 2.7 D4 eDiff, Traxide Dual battery, Safari Snorkel...Opposite Lock winch bar..extra set 17" wheels with 245/70/17 BFG KM2 MTs..Warrior winch..Long range tank.
1982 2dr RRC renovated.
1983 Range Rover 2dr fitted with 300Tdi (with bigger turbo), 40mm body lift, Warn 9000i winch and BFG MT 265/75/16. Rear Maxidrive locker

Post #48899930th Jun 2009 11:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

2 and a half weeks in nirvana i'd say. 5000kms in that short time must have been hard going on yourselves not to mention the cars. Not surprised you all had a few issues in the end. NO punctures Shocked no mallee roots waiting in the long grass Wink

Up at the top you'll see the gallery link - click that. Then you'll see upload photos.
Once you get them in your gallery, open the photo and copy the link at the bottom and paste it into this thread. Or else if you have a flickr(or similar) account just post the link. Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #48900730th Jun 2009 12:04 pm
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have just come back from the Simpson, in the disco, over 2 weeks and 6000ks

I have a kaymar bar with two tyres, and long range fuel tanks.

I was towing a off road camper trailer as well.

The vehicle had fitted Coopers LTZ tyres, which for the trip used at least 5 mm of tread.

The trip also had a Nissan Patrol, extended, total weight 4.5 tonnes, it was the chuck wagon.

There was 8 Toyota Cruises 100 series [ some modified, and some just in street mode], and Nissan Navara, and very old Prado.

We all had some difficulties travelling East to West to about 35 Kms past Poeppel corner,

I was snatched about 12 times over some of the big dunes. This was even with tyres down to 12 psi, and occassionally I was using maxtrax on all the tyres, when I was really stuck. The maxtrax are well worth the investment. We broke one extension strap and one snatch strap

I was doing most of the crossing in low range. The vehicle needs more BHP, ie a V8, as freqently, it did not just have enough grunt, and the combination of the vehicle lower it self from 50 kms, also meant you had to limit the approach speed to 40 kms.

The tour group leader, and the others that had done it many times said it was the hardest they have experienced, and some of the highly modified Landcruises had to use low range on some of the dunes.

We were to do the Warburton Crossing, but it still not passable, so we turned around, and did alternative creek crossing of Eyre Creek. That was fun, as we attempted going East to West, but the first two modified vehicles could not do it, and had to be towed out by the local hero Bransby, who owns the recovery service at Birdsville.

But the West to East crossing was easy.

I had one critical fault with the air suspension, and about 10 times during the trip an error that the system was too hot to raise the vehicle to off road height. and about every hour an orange air suspension fault.

The EPB went about the fourth day, and now getting error messages every application.

Would I do it again with air suspension. NO. Would I do it in a Disco 3, probably not, it had too many electronic faults, that when you are out there, and the nearest service centre that can help is 1500 kms plus, means trouble.

The air suspension fails far too much, and this will be my second compressor in 3.5 years. None of other vehicles suffered any faults.

Apart from all the electronic faults, the other Toyota owners were amased at what the Disco achieved with the trailer attached.

Fuel wise, the vehicle did 28 l per 100 kms, comparable to every one else on the trip, that the only real positive from the Disco, I can say excluding the fantastic sceenary, which was beyond everyone expectation, including rain in the desert, and a sand/ dust storm.

Highway travel was at 110 kms/ hr at 15 l per 100 kms

We went back out to Birdsville to The Sturt Stony Desert, where I got the only punture out of the group, tyres were at 30 psi.

From there to Strzelecki Desert to Innaminkca, the best resturant I have been too for a long time, given its location, from there to Marree for a flight across Eyre lakes, and then to Leigh Creek, through the Gammon Ranges National Park, a fantastic spot, and then on to Wilpena Pound to look at the Asteriod Crater, and then to Broken Hill, to White Cliffs, then to Dubbo, and then Brisbane

The trip was 10 out of 10, the vehicle excluding air suspenion and EPB 8 out of 10, but if they are included, 5 out of 10

So, where from here, I will once the extended warranty runs out, and the lease, look for something that does not have air suspension.

Post #4913375th Jul 2009 10:17 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Having done the Simpson many times it disappoints Sad me to have people taking trailers across the desert. How much damage is done trying to get trailers over the dunes? As you commented, snatched 12 times and needing maxtrax.
The runs up the dunes become "pig rutted" and large holes are dug as people get stuck making the track more uncomfortable and difficult for the vehicles following. Crying or Very sad
This time of year the crossing is relatively easy as the sand is cool. After late August when it the heat gets back into the sand and the westerly blow then the east - west crossing starts gets difficult.
I have crossed every east-west track a number of times in both directions in June, July, August and early September with a D1, D2 and D3 therefore I believe I have some experience. I have never been snatched (nor has any vehicle in the groups I have been with) in the desert but then again I do not allow anyone with a trailer to accompany the groups I travel with.
Most people who regularly visit the Simpson and National Parks (QLD and SA) recommend that trailers are not taken. If people persist with trailers then further restrictions may be placed on Simpson travel.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #4913515th Jul 2009 12:07 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It will be interesting to see if the later model D3s have the same issues with the suspension. A lot compressor failures have happened in MY05s.
The D4 will have the better engine and Sand Launch so we'll see.
They changed a lot of things in MY07 (some of the valve blocks and the CANBUS sysyem was changed which stopped cascade faults.)
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4913555th Jul 2009 12:27 pm
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I am considering a trip with some friends to the "Centre of the Simpson" next year.
Definitely no place for trailers, but I am concerned after reading about all the Electronic / Suspension trouble you had TRM. But I guess they also has a lot to do with trying to drag a trailer. Wink

I'll be taking a few spares and trying to learn how to diagnose any problems that may arrise.
Yes I'll also be using the list of recommended spares. Smile
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #4913565th Jul 2009 12:28 pm
caverD3

PS Intestingly similar story. . http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic36780.html
TRM it did get you there and din't fail.
The dropping issue is the one that makes it anoying.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4913575th Jul 2009 12:32 pm
DiscoJools

Suspension and EPB

I find it hard to believe that the suspension light problem is nothing but a software problem and therefore why can't it be sorted by LR. Both D3s (one 05 and the other 08) on our Simpson trip had it twice and easily fixed by a restart.. It only happenned when the suspension was raised..Apparently it happens when it is adjustings its level and it hits a sharp bump that it gets confused.LR must fix this prob though. Anyway without air suspension we wouldn't have such amazing handling and comfort on normal roads.
Also disappointed that the compressor easily overheated after only a few ups and downs. I learnt to just keep my speed below 40k which was easy for most of the desert trip and so not to use the compressor too much. I think that the reason it overheats is because it is not open to air in the way it is mounted and completely insulated to keep the noise down.
As for EPB I would much rather have a good manual transmission brake. I didn't use EPB at all after it went faulty at thye start of the trip and didn't miss at all. I just used Park instead. Somebody mentioned to me that there is a new back plate on the D4 which stops dust getting into the brake drum.. I hope so.
D3 is a fantastic machine but a pity that there are these couple of issues.
Caver, look forward to hearing some good reports about you adjustable rods!
1982 2dr RRC renovated.

Post #49366710th Jul 2009 5:08 am
caverD3

I have an idea to to help cool the compressor. Wink idea only at the moment could be a silly one though.
It is interesting that supension faults occure so easily. Maybe not helpedby the compessor being off due to heat? I think the D3 has so many self protect triggers which in some ways is a good thing. The compressor is amazing in that it produces > 244 psi and gererally works well. So I suppose at those pressure it would get pretty hot. I think it would help if had bigger fins for cooling.

August will be the big month for the adustable rods, so we'll see.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #49367410th Jul 2009 6:51 am
Desert Traveller

Off to the Simpson and beyond in September, so I am looking forward the the adjustable rods. I have to fit something, 50 km/hr drives me insane.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
VW Eos TDI For Sale

Post #49367810th Jul 2009 7:04 am
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

In late April 2008 we towed our Ultimate off-road camper East/West across the Simpson as part of a 20000k 16 week trip (see gallery).

The route through Simpson - QAA line, French Line, Knolls Track, Rig Road, WAA line, French Line. Originally intended to go directly along French Line. However, changed plans after talking to west/east vehicles who had huge problems on French line west of Knolls track.

In Simpson the sand was extremely soft - tyre pressures 10psi front, 12psi rear, 10psi trailer. Sand mode. DSC off. First day all dunes (including big red) in High One. Second day started to use Low Two after getting stuck on one dune. Started all dunes at no more than walking speed, accelerating (without 'axle tramp') as approached softer top area, eased off to drop over western faces (about 1-2m drops).

No suspension problems. Staked one tyre on Knolls track when didn't see root in broken afternoon shade. Stuck on one dune. No problem with suspension lowering at 50k (didn't need to go that fast on dunes). However, have just fitted Caverd3's adjustable rod system as the 50k lowering was a problem in other conditions such as reasonable 2 wheel tracks with high centre crown.

Even towing the trailer we caused less 'damage' to the track and the desert than many others who persisted with higher pressures, higher speeds, bounced all over the place, and gouged 'corrugations' in the wheel tracks!!!!

Can't believe people blame trailers when it is drivers and their technique that are the real problems!!!!!!!!
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #49440112th Jul 2009 7:27 am
Desert Traveller

Taken that some d***heads have too high pressures, but nothing gets around vehicles towing trailers through the desert do more damage than a vehicle without a trailer.
The 50k/hr limit is not a problem on the French line from Poeppels to Wonga Junction but on the QAA and especially on the Rig Road it is.
VW Eos TDI For Sale

Post #49440812th Jul 2009 8:07 am
lrdef110

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I am doing the Simpson in a couple of weeks (without a trailer) and was wondering if any one could advise D3 fuel (diesel) usage from Birdsville to Mt Dare ie that is without a trailer. I realise fuel consumption varies with the weather but would be interested in others experience. I have just fitted Cavers adjustable rods so I hope to have the suspension locked at off road height for the crossing.
Thanks in anticipation.
Barry

Post #49828121st Jul 2009 10:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >