Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Just how good are they at towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Strikes me you would be better off with a motor home Laughing I have towed the extra wide twin axle Hobby without complaint and consider the Discovery to be unbeatable as a under 3ton tow vehicle, of course the there are better and more powerful tow vehicles, but not with an engine under 3000cc.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #107935828th Mar 2013 9:16 am
JustMeAgain

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The Patrol is nasty on fuel.

Motorhome??????? Go wash out your mouth. With most being based based on a Multijet chassis hiding an atomic bomb under the hood I fear the maintenance and repair costs would far exceed the Disco's. Plus you cant unhitch and go and you will not get 29ft of cabin space without going upto class2 LGV me thinks. Fifth wheeler????? Not floating my boat due to purpose vehicle.

I love mt German van.

Post #107942128th Mar 2013 11:33 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

JustMeAgain wrote:
Personally I think the disco is over rated.

Don't think you need to get rid of your caravan at all.
Think the best bet for you is to get rid of the Disco and stick with the Nissan.
Disco doesn't seem the right choice of vehicle for you.
cann't win em all Wink
Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #107942328th Mar 2013 11:39 am
JustMeAgain

Unnecessary quote removed

I think the impending 2k bill to repair more common faults proves you right ronp. When was the last time a Disco was spotted in Saudi romping the dessert. Never as they are in the garage being repaired.

Post #108026629th Mar 2013 7:23 pm
Gabbo

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

We have a vw t5 which will be going when the D4 comes. The original plan was this would be the tow vehicle. Loads of people think they re great at towing I find it awful on our caravan and that's the reason we chose the D4 that its the only one we could get 3 kids seats across 2bd row
 D4 Fuji White HSE with Black Pack, TV, RSE, Tow Pack, Side Steps & Heated Steering Wheel  
Post #108030029th Mar 2013 8:18 pm
JustMeAgain

Seen plenty towing with those and they do have a gutsy motor. Did I see somewhere you're lugging a Schooner? If my Trafic high top was available with around 160hp I'd be taking the Mrs away traveller style but we both adore our caravan so the for now the disco stays despite the running costs.

Post #108041429th Mar 2013 11:28 pm
Gabbo

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

We've got a luminar 650. Our shuttle is a 140 remapped to 180 and it struggles big time and just olain scary downhill. The van isvtoo heavy for it and in the wet the fronts have no grip
 D4 Fuji White HSE with Black Pack, TV, RSE, Tow Pack, Side Steps & Heated Steering Wheel  
Post #108046030th Mar 2013 5:20 am
djcleckie

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Best tow car I have ever had (RR Classic and D1 good) but not a patch on the D3.

I tow a caravan from the North of Scotland to the S.Spain and back each winter and its superb.

One year I had a blow out on the caravan on a Spanish motorway - I was doing 90 km/hr and the D3 was rock steady. I get 23 mpg towing a 1500kg caravan and I never do more than 90km/60 mph.
The cruise control is the answer to speeding.

I regularly get passed by other caravans exceeding the legal speed limit. All I can say is idiots. 60mph/90km/hr is sensible. OK most of the time you can probably exceed this without coming to grief but all it takes is the unexpected and you are in trouble.

Another plus is the air suspension. No matter what your nose weight it stays level and your head lights are correct. Anything with coil springs will have the lights pointing into the sky when heavily loaded.

What I notice most is when I am passed by these huge buses doing 70 mph the D3 is steady while all my previous tow cars would "wiggle" a bit.

On a lot of French motorways the towing limit for anything over 3500Kg is 80km/hr and a D3 + caravan will be a bit over 4000kg. This is really silly because a poor match/unstable outfit which is under 3500kg can go much faster than a well matched stable outfit which exceeds 3500kg.

Dave
 2005 SE Manual Cairns Blue
Faultmate MSV2
Series 2 - long gone
RR Classic long gone.
Disco1 believe its still going as a farm vehicle in France. 

Post #108073630th Mar 2013 9:04 pm
Cellerdweller

England 

Hi all I have just towed our elddis 626 down to Devon and back . This is the first time I've towed with the D3 since I bought it and I can honestly say it is superb ! At no time did I feel the van was pushing the car on long downhills and going uphill was easy , I could just go with the traffic flow . On the motorway it was rock steady and found around 65mph the best speed to be at , and it returned about 22mpg according to the fuel computer . We've decided to go back down south for may 1/2 term with all four kids so this will be its ultimate test however im sure it will cope with ease . Food for thought and I couldn't believe it there were 9 units inc ours in close proximity of each other and 6 had D3's or D4's as tow cars what more can be said !.
( apart from must pledge allegiance and buy a forum decal ) Bow down

Post #10829794th Apr 2013 9:25 am
tomthumb

United Kingdom 

Glad to hear yr 626 & D3 is sweet Cellerd, not had the chance yet of pulling my 626, only got the D3 end of last yr, but down ro weymouth soon & sooooo looking forward to it......
 RRSport MY12hse but don't hold that against lill o me
Hybrid TV, cubby Fridge, Surround Camera's, Sun Roof.

Disco 3 MY05hse Sadly gone

All alone in my own little world,
But everybody knows me there, so I'm ok. 

Post #10829964th Apr 2013 9:46 am
sj9011

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Best non LGV tow vehicle available I am a Class1 LGV driver (boat transport) and tow commercially with Disco up the 3.49T (with Tacho) and she is brilliant. Up over the Pyrenees no problem and as to the speed 60mph 100 KPH is fine all day long, trick is let disco do what she wants and don't try force her.

Post #10829994th Apr 2013 10:00 am
Cellerdweller

England 

Hi Tomthumb believe me if my experience was anything to go of you won't be disappointed with the D3 as a towcar,and if you need a bit more there is always the option for one of Bell Auto Service's remaps . We are heading south for 1/2 term and then again in August to freshwater beach caravan park for part of our summer holiday which the kids love and needless to say mrs dweller likes to take the kitchen sink so it will be a full load for the car !! Laughing happy days !!

Post #10835695th Apr 2013 9:01 am
humphrca

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
TOWING

It does what it says on the label. Wink I've been towing for more years that I care to mention and the d3 is the best. I'm towing a crusader at the moment. Don't even feel it behind. There are times when I've slipped over the 7 Censored mph. 8). Went to Cornwell 2012 just as the Olympic torch was going through Truro.
 300tdi Gone.....but not forgotten
Disco 3 MY2005, TDV6 S, Buck Blue, 7 Seats, EGR,s blanked, Heated F&R Seats & Screen, Fog's, Drive lights, Harmon Kardon, Cruise, Tinted Windows, Side steps, removable tow for tintent, SWMBO, Grandson's x 2 

Post #10850488th Apr 2013 3:16 pm
JustMeAgain

A disco will tow a UK spec caravan easily. Theres nothing in them, theyre narrower and usually slightly lower in overall height. Stick my puppy on the back, when it does decide to get a little wiggle on lets see just how high profile tyres on 19" rims cope.

I've now got a set of 20in wheels and the back end seems a little better. Will be on a longer run soon so will post more.

What tyres and rear pressures are you guys running for 80KG nose weights are are you on air or nitrogen? Im on Michelins at present which are a road tyre so wondering if the walls are less sturdy.

Still tempted to change.

Post #109053119th Apr 2013 11:04 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My D4 towing my caravan 2 weeks ago from my 'caravan for sale thread'
Nice steady speed holding it on the accelerator - not cruise control.
Only slowing up at end for my junction exit.

Don't normally tow at that speed btw
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #109053719th Apr 2013 11:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >