Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Just had an MOT and Visual Health Check - Warranty Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Singh

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Just had an MOT and Visual Health Check - Warranty Questions

Hi All. My D4 had its 2nd MOT today, the first one in my ownership. My approved used warranty expires in Dec, so I asked them (the main dealer) to do a visual health check too - as an indication of anything that might need attention, especially before the warranty runs out.

So the MOT passed (as expected), and I got the VHC report back.

The only red item, noted as needed immediate attention, is the N/S front tyre, which I know is worn on one edge.

However, they listed 8 items in the Amber section, noted as "requiring attention in the near future". Whilst some are wear and tear (brakes, alignment etc), 3 items (or 2 at least) are not what I would consider as normal consumables:

- Power Steering Fluid Leaking (light misting of oil) - advised to follow up 01/02/16
- Front track control arms having slight play - advised to follow up 01/02/16
- Oil leaking from the gearbox casing - advised to follow up 01/02/16

I discussed that in essence, any leak is a sign that a part is not functioning as designed, and that would this not be a item that should be covered under warranty. I was told that these are only advisories, and that there was no urgent attention needed.

I insisted they at least request cover for these under the warranty, which they reluctantly tell me they will do tomorrow, I will take their word that they will do it. I wait to hear from them.

My question is am I right to feel these items should be covered under the warranty, and that the parts should not have to fail totally to be replaced? Or am I being over zealous and just trying to force their hand?

Similarly, three of the rear parking sensors have the finish coming off them. I thought this would be covered by the paint warranty, but only to be told they are not. I would have to pay for new sensors, paint and labour - coming it at £896.18 for all 4 sensors. It is not just a question of aesthetics, but the sensors intermittently beep for no reason when activated, and I think this is due to the peeling paint - or corrosion as they stated.

Open to your thoughts here too guys, how is this paint issue not covered by the paint warranty? Does it only cover body panels and trim?

For reference, the car is a 61 reg D4 HSE.

Last edited by Singh on 20th Nov 2015 11:29 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #156328418th Nov 2015 11:33 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Front control arms will be wear and tear, which I don't think is covered by the LR warranty.

The leaks however should be addressed immediately IMO. Leaking oils onto roads is a major safety issue for following vehicles and im surprised a vehicle is allowed to pass MOT with such leaks. I would be pushing for immediate investigation and repair.

On the paint issue, if they are factory fit accessories then I would expect them to be covered.

Post #156407220th Nov 2015 10:20 am
Singh

The control arms I am less concerned about, and did not really expect to be covered, but the leaks I would agree.

You make a valid point on the safety front, but I suspect that the MOT tester makes a judgement on how serious it is and the risk it poses. From a warranty perspective, I got a call late yesterday to say this is not covered under the warranty as the part has not failed.

The sensors are factory fitted, but I think from looking into the paint warranty, only the body panels are covered.

Again, open to your advice and judgement.

My view point is that there is oil/fluid leaking from a part from which it should not be leaking. The extent of the leak from my perspective is arbitrary, it should not be happening at all. From a warranty perspective, they seem to see it as black and white : has the part failed or not? I guess if it is still working, despite the leak, then it has not failed.

Post #156410320th Nov 2015 11:28 am
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

you could argue that the intermittent beeping of the park sensors is a fault and they need replacing. don't make the paint the issue, make the incorrect functionality the issue.

I agree the leaks should be covered - its going to fail at some point based on that so would they rather do it now or later. I guess as its just due to expire they are playing the waiting game....
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #156412120th Nov 2015 11:50 am
adam

United Kingdom 

I know we joke about fluid leaks on LR, but they should not happen - Singh - if it was me, I'd get them fully investigated and fixed - what happens if you get a catastrophic failure - wrecked engine?

A seal is designed to do one thing and one thing only - prevent something getting out or something getting in - if that isnt happening - it's failed - surely worth a scrap with the warranty co

Good luck anyway

Post #156412220th Nov 2015 11:51 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Power steering is a known issue with the "O" rings in the connectons leaking, my old D4 had these replaced under warranty.
Would have also though that the rear sensors should have been done under warranty, perhaps go to a more helpful, dealer who will work with you/for you to get the work done
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #156412320th Nov 2015 11:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Singh

Thanks for all the input guys. The warranty is the LR Approved Used one. Can I call/contact them direct?

Also, any recommendations for more "supportive/engaged" dealers in and around the midlands? Im located in Leicester (Desford).

Post #156414220th Nov 2015 12:22 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Cant think of any reason why you cant contact directly - your contract is with them?

Post #156414620th Nov 2015 12:36 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I can't understand this issue with dealers trying to reject warranty claims, they get paid for the work so as long as they are truthful they should be acting in your interests and pushing the warranty department claims to get them accepted.

Wonder if there is some sort of penalty on dealers for too many claims, or bonuses for fewer ?????????

Post #156414720th Nov 2015 12:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

Think it is down to the price they get paid, I believe it is not the hourly rate they charge Jo public.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #156415320th Nov 2015 12:45 pm
Singh

I have got a contact number, so will call them direct this afternoon.

Any dealer recommendations, please let me know.

Post #156418020th Nov 2015 1:30 pm
Nick H

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I have a very slight leak on mine from the transfer box which is considered 'amber' rather than 'red'. It will be covered under the warranty but isn't required yet.

My warranty doesn't run out until Sept so I am happy to leave this for now as the service is due in Feb anyway.

Post #156418120th Nov 2015 1:30 pm
Singh

Identical situation in terms of Amber and not Red. Is yours an approved LR warranty also?

How do you know it will be covered but is not required as yet. Do you mean that you decided not to fix it as yet, but they confirm it is covered by the warranty?

Post #156419820th Nov 2015 1:54 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

CFB wrote:
I can't understand this issue with dealers trying to reject warranty claims, they get paid for the work so as long as they are truthful they should be acting in your interests and pushing the warranty department claims to get them accepted.

Wonder if there is some sort of penalty on dealers for too many claims, or bonuses for fewer ?????????

This is correct. The more warranty work they put through, the lower their hourly rate goes to, as well as more chance of Warranty Audits. They want pictures of everything, to determine how bad the issue is
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #156420620th Nov 2015 1:57 pm
Nick H

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Singh wrote:
Identical situation in terms of Amber and not Red. Is yours an approved LR warranty also?

How do you know it will be covered but is not required as yet. Do you mean that you decided not to fix it as yet, but they confirm it is covered by the warranty?

Yes, LR warranty. It's definitely covered as I have confirmed this but not considered to be required now due to its amber status which is determined by the present condition.

Post #156421720th Nov 2015 2:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >