Just seen Countryfile....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Just seen Countryfile....

Green Laning is not very popular it would seem Shocked

A reasonably fair debate, I'm not sure the choice of location or starring roles for the 'off roading' portrayed us in the best light, but then again, that is what we do.

The fact is, despite a majority of motorised users being legal, it appears that the only solution given to stop illegal off roading is to completely close all the lanes to motorised vehicles Evil or Very Mad

Post #73040112th Dec 2010 7:38 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Typical of choosing the "LETS OFF ROAD" brigade and mainly showing them stuck, winching and churning up the earth on a pay2play site rather than showing footage of people using the lanes normally, like I am sure the majority do.

The arguments against illegal/ unroadworthy vehicles were BS and as the biker said, an issue for the police and not an argument for green lane closure.

The family "who had never visited the countryside before and never would again" after being terrorised by bikers was also BS in my opinion, probably one fresh from the rumour mill.

While people need to behave when on the lanes the pedestrians, horse riders and cyclists do need to realise that it is open to ALL traffic and therefore should be on their guard as if you were walking down a road. Equally 4x4 drivers and bikers need to be aware of other traffic too.

The answer to illegal off roading is not to close the lanes, as those who act illegally now will continue to do so, yet those who use the lanes in a proper manner will be prevented from doing so - and may actually sway people in to acting illegally in order to carry on doing what they enjoy!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #73040512th Dec 2010 7:46 pm
roamingman

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If you close all the lanes, it will not stop the them that whant to destroy. Evil or Very Mad
What about a licence to good users, still will not stop them, but allow us to do it, and maybe have more patroles.

would it be to mutch to fence of, or large rocks around the sites of interest Question
 convoy For Heroes record holder (348)
Live life 'til you die
Team Teddy Bears Picnic 

Post #73040712th Dec 2010 7:49 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

don't normally watch it...but parents are here and they wanted some English TV...was thinking exactly the same thing about the chosen representatives to show "off roading"

I actually thought the report wasn't that bad...but a bit pointless as it tried to bring an emotive subject into a 3 minute bit of TV Rolling Eyes

(Of course I started to get a little bit of ribbing...and then I mentioned all those ugly scars found across the hills in the Lake District made by all those boots...I also mentioned that if they don't shut up I will switch over to German TV and there won't be any Strictly Come Dancing finals...Laughing )
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #73040912th Dec 2010 7:56 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Houndkirk moor has been fenced off! thats what they were saying cost 13 grand. That lane is now a very pleasant lane to drive.

However, it is now lined by a substantial fence. It hardly gives the impression of 'out in the wilderness' anymore.

Post #73041212th Dec 2010 7:59 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Dito the chosen representative for off roading, it was akin to getting the local boy racers to represent performance motor cars.

Still the trailrider guy talked sense.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #73041312th Dec 2010 8:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

same old story line if they don't like it ban it and unfortunately they will eventually
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #73042712th Dec 2010 8:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

the stupid woman on about horses tangled in wire fencing just doesnt want bikes anywhere near her and has a complete dislike off them.

Well i bet if she was the woman who had fell in the brecon becons and broke her back when we came across her and her husband would have a different view on us

we came across a lady and she had taken a bad fall her husband did not want to leave her and their was no phone signal so a mate off mine rode off and got a signal gave the 999 controller a grid reference he had taken from his gps and withing 15 mins the air ambulance was taking her off to hospital,

god knows how long it would have taken for another person to find them it took my mate 10 mins on an enduro bike to get to an area with a phone signal

why do they always tarr everyone with the same brush

shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #73045612th Dec 2010 9:08 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

you are so right but this is the uk we seam to have this ban it all approach to thing same about the Booze few tossers spoil it for all ban cheep booze hunting you name they want to ban it
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #73046012th Dec 2010 9:15 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

In the programme I noted a part where the comment was made that in a motorised group stopped by police, 2 did not have "insurance" and this meant that x% of off-road vehicles were uninsured. A bit of an assumption, but I can state with a hight degree of certainty that VIRTUALLY NO OFF_ROAD WALKERS HAVE ANY INSURANCE. So remember that if you are ever challenged - ask to see a copy of THEIR insurance certificate.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #73048212th Dec 2010 9:35 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

yes i agree with that

Post #73048512th Dec 2010 9:40 pm
J@mes

it's all relevant - if you took 20 normal cars off the road you'd have the same amount uninsured/ un roadworthy.

Trouble is Navigator, walkers don't need insurance to walk on green lanes, whereas anything being driven on a green lane needs to be taxed, insured and MOT'd as if it were travelling on a normal surfaced roadway so I'm not sure where you were going with that tbh Smile
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #73048712th Dec 2010 9:42 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The correct statement the program should have made is "What percentage of illegally driven 4x4 and motorcycles are uninsured"

Or are they presuming we all drive illegally when we go green laning?

Like said, we are getting tarred with the same brush.

Another point, where was GLASS? As the largest 4x4 user group (I think) surely they should have had some representation on the program. Confused

Post #73049312th Dec 2010 9:47 pm
J@mes

Gareth wrote:

Another point, where was GLASS?

They probably weren't invited as it would have made the article harder to swing in the "Anti" direction if they had put a balanced argument forward Confused
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #73049712th Dec 2010 9:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

So much for 'unbiased' BBC Sad

Post #73049812th Dec 2010 9:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >