Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Kaymar bar & rear wheel carriers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jamo

Australia 

I don't know about being exchanged, but Kaymar advise that the wheel carriers can be removed from the bar within 5 minutes.

here is what they sent me:
Quote:
Kaymar’s Discovery 3 bumper is a steel replacement for the original plastic bumper.
A towbar is not incorporated into Kaymar’s bumper as the towbar is built as part of Landrovers chassis.
Original trailer plug and recovery point remain easily accessible.
Kaymar’s bar offers a full steel protection bumper following very closely to the lines of the original bar. As well as adding greater strength to the rear end this bar can also accommodate twin spare wheels or a single wheel carrier on one side and a single jerry can holder on the other.
Optional attachments such as a hilift jack holder, H/F aerial mount and telescopic light are also available.
Kaymar has incorporated fully ADR approved LED lights to comply with ADR lighting requirements. These lights are slim line and maintenance free.
Original equipment reversing sensors can be re-fitted into Kaymars bar.
As with all Kaymar carriers, the carriers are easily removed in about five minutes
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5747211th May 2006 6:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks Jamo.

I wonder how Kaymar got the rear PDC working. Maybe they need to teach ARB Laughing .

When you getting one?

I wonder if ARB are going to do one. The one they have for the 100 series LC is quite trick with the rear wheel carrier arms integrated in the bumper.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #5747511th May 2006 7:47 am
Jamo

Australia 

Hello Chris,

As soon a I've convinced SWMBO, I'll order the Kaymar one. Kaymar are getting back to me with a quote for freight as I'm about 700k from Perth and 400k from Kalgoorlie (nearest City).

I like the way it looks very similar to the existing bar, and the ability to remove the wheel carrier(s) when not needed.

From the photo, it looks to me like the PDC sensors are in the original spots in the LR steel bumper and the Kaybar bar simply has holes that they poke through.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5748011th May 2006 8:23 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sniegy

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Yeah!!!, They finally finished with our vehicle Wink Wink

As usual they have done a good job, nice looking bar..so to speak.

Guys i have a small worry about this rear bar....WEIGHT.

I wonder what the difference between the factory one & the steel variant is??

That poor compressor pumping its heart out front & rear(if u have both ARB & Kaymar units) to keep the vehicle level.. Crying or Very sad Confused
 D4 Alaska/Almond 2.7 TDV6 with E-diff & extra's.. Smile

Keep smilin' Smile Pete. 

Post #5752911th May 2006 12:21 pm
Jamo

Australia 

But if the vehicle and compressor can't handle a 40kg or so bar, how will it handle a full load in the rear? Confused

I weigh a spritely 77kg. Does that mean that the compressor might not be able to handle someone driving the car who weighs 120kg?? Rolling Eyes

Such a concern will also kick into touch the possibility of adding an aux fuel tank that will add aorund 120kg to the car when full of fuel! Crying or Very sad

As long as one stays within the GVM, what's the problem? or is the latest compressor that I had fitted in January cr*p like the first one??

I'm hoping that's it's not cr*p. Let's face it, if it can't handle the extra weight of front and rear bars, then it won't be able to hold the gear that I will take on sojourns into the scrub. If a vehicle advertises a GVM, I expect it to be able to perform near faultlessly within that GVM. If it can't, it goes!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5753111th May 2006 12:37 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

With all the extras fitted - ARB BB, winch, Kaymar rear bar, twin spare wheels, roofrack, rooftop tent, longrange tank and fuel your load carrying capacity might be down to a cut sandwich only for one Shocked

Gee an outback capable touring D3 but no capaicty to carry anything in the back Crying or Very sad

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #5765911th May 2006 11:26 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Yeah, It'll certainly cut into it! Although, given that LR has now started quoting 'dry' weights here, it looks like there may be a bit better carrying capacity than I first thought.

I'm thinking of heading off to the weighbridge to see what she actually weighs at the moment, so I can get a better idea. I reckon, with the accessories, (including the rear bar, spares and aux fuel tank when I get them fitted) I'll have added about 300-350kg in weight.

The TARE is advertised as 2432max and the GVM as 3230max, which suggests a toal load of 798kg, so after adding passengers, I get about 150kg left! Not much, but workable.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #5766611th May 2006 11:44 pm
Sniegy

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Guys for your info...
Contacted Kaymar today for prices & availability. Prices in AUS$ & incl GST.

D3 rear bar single tyre carrier only no RPDC $2092 + $275 to fit.
D3 rear bar single tyre carrier only + RPDC $2162 + $275 to fit.

D3 rear bar single tyre & jerry can no RPDC $2749 + $340 to fit.
D3 rear bar single tyre & jerry can + RPDC $2819 + $340 to fit.

D3 rear bar twin tyre carrier no RPDC $2800 + $340 to fit.
D3 rear bar twin tyre carrier + RPDC $2875 + $340 to fit.

The bar does not incorporate a tow bar as u well know its part of the chassis, but it is a full metal replacement unit with the option of 1 or 2 wheel carriers or a mix with a jerry can holder.

There is a wait of approx. 4-6 weeks from placement of order from Kaymar.

Hope this helps in someway.

I am also not affiliated with them in any way.
 D4 Alaska/Almond 2.7 TDV6 with E-diff & extra's.. Smile

Keep smilin' Smile Pete. 

Post #5775812th May 2006 12:11 pm
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Pete - thanks for that info.

Kaymar have managed to price it better than expected - it seems cheaper even than the D2 bar?

An alternative is the carrier only - we are importing some - trying to fine-tune pricing; and maay manfufacture locally, making cheaper still.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #5804114th May 2006 1:01 am
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Looks very interesting.

A couple of question.......

1. Do I have to fit the metal rear bar??

2. If so is it included in the price??

3. Do they also fit the additional fuel tank in the old wheel space??

4. Would be looking at have it fitted later in the year or early next year.

Regards

Bob

Post #619145th Jun 2006 2:26 am
Jamo

Australia 

Bob,

If your asking about the Kaymar setup, then the answers to 1 & 2 are yes and yes.

If your asking about the bolton item that Simon is looking at, then the answers are no and no.

Wrt q.3; yes.

Jamo
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #619195th Jun 2006 3:27 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

RetiredBob
do you have the v8 or diesel and what size van are you towing.

you often see UK posts where d3 owners are getting 8.14 k/l or 23mpg
while towing

ive got a coromal camper and i reckon i only get about 5.66 k/l (16MPG)
when towing

regards
norto

Post #619765th Jun 2006 10:27 am
RetiredBob

Norto

I have the TDV6

The Van is a Trakmaster Nullabor full off road van. Internal 16 ft. Weight is 2030k without food etc so it is a fair weight but the Disco pulls it easily. I like to sit around 90 km per hour on the bitumen but the Disco keeps pulling away and prefers around 100 km/h.

Cheers

Bob

Post #621475th Jun 2006 11:35 pm
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Bob
thats a big van.
what sort of fuel economy on the flat compared to hilly
norto

Post #621516th Jun 2006 12:50 am
RetiredBob

For anyone that is interested. I have just received notification from Kaymar that they will have the Disco 3 with the spare wheel carriers etc on display at the Sydney 4WD show this month.

I will certainly pay them a visit to see the fitted product before I go ahead with any order.

Will the fitment affect any waranty provisions???

Regards

Bob

Post #6380715th Jun 2006 8:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >