12%
 12%  [19]
I broke my key!
3%
 3%  [6]
Total Votes: 152

MasterDisco3

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Let us know how you got on. I dropped my key in the hallway about 3 months ago and it would not open the car but unlock it.

Been using the spare and wife dropped it today on the floor outside and it did not lock. It then locked however would not let her in on her school run. She could not open the passenger door thinking she will break the lock including the teacher. I went to her rescue and fortunately managed to open the door and get her going.

Now I pulled out the the original key and it is working fine.

Is this a dealer visit or are they going to blag me to buy two keys??

Kind Regards...
 Discovery 4 HSE Lux - Second time around
Harley Davidson VROD

All the best ones now gone Sad Sad Sad
VW Golf R
Audi A6 & A4 3.0tdi S line S Tronic Black Edition
Mercedes W463 G Wagon 300 GES
911 "964" Celebration Guards Red "the only UK one"
Jaguar XF 3.0d Portfolio
Jaguar XE R Sport
D3 V8 Black SE Auto --- LPG (300 BHP)
Discovery 4 HSE Lux
Disco 4 HSE
Range Rover HSE with a BMW Engine 

Post #63542513th Apr 2010 5:57 pm
HowardHolmes

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Locked out of my Discovery3 HSE

HowardHolmes wrote:
Wiz wrote:
Came out this morning to find my remote will not work.

Having read some posts on here i have found the passenger manual lock.

if i open the door will the alarm go off, and stay going.

I got the battery recharged this week, had some electronic problems recently and the dealer said it was due to a sluggish and undercharged battery.

just wondering is my remote locking problem related to the battery charging

all suggestions and opinions helpful

I had the same problem on my 2005 SE was away when we came out to try and get in it, would not unlock on the remote, also could not get the manual lock to unlock had to get AA out, they used WD40 on the lock and it worked, when you open it you have to put the key in the ignition to stop the alarm going off. i thought the key had failed but when i got home the spare did not work,took it to my local LD dealer who said it was the RF receiver, but when we changed that it still did not work has been back to LD they now say that both keys have failed and i need new keys!!! i did say a bit odd to both fail. we shall see if they can fix it. ( i don't think so) .

Have got it back from dealer now they have ordered two new keys for it but they are on back order have to wait about 14 days to find out if they are right!!! will post the results.

Post #63543813th Apr 2010 6:31 pm
thirdtimelucky

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Lock will not unlock

Had this problem yesterday. Flat car battery so remote would not work. Opened lock cover to use key, key would not work. Tried WD40. No. AA came out and by some miracle managed to get a connection with the battery by jacking front of vehicle up and poking wires up into engine space after a lot of fiddling and we opened car with remote. Then .... able to open up bonnet and jump start car. What a pallaver. Vehicle going back to LR next week to have lock sorted out. Also ... radio now works but CD player permanently says it is ejecting. Mysterious. I need to remember to always use spare key in rotation too as, until yesterday, I had not idea that you could not even replace the remote battery either.

Two years ago had a problem with passenger door lever failing which was fixed but had never tried key entry.

Post #64319030th Apr 2010 1:59 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Left side front door key lock is electrical switch?

After reading the previous posts, I got to fooling around again with the key operated lock under the black removable cover on the left side front door, (Drivers side in North America).

When my ignition key is fully inserted, the key only rotates about 30 degrees either way. One direction locks the door; rotating the other direction, unlocks the door. When I say door, I mean the door the key is inserted in and no other door.

I noted one post that said the cranking battery was dead and the key unlock worked; another that said the cranking battery was dead and getting in was a real challenge.

My thinking is that the key switch is electrical, (not mechanical), and does require that the cranking battery have at least some charge. To that end, a while back, I installed what I would call battery retainer charge wiring accessible from thru the grill so that if the batteries, (have the Traxide dual battery setup), when dead, I could still slow charge, (2 amp), up a battery and then eventually get the door key to work.

I cannot really find any Land Rover material that says either way if the key operated lock is solely electrically powered or mechanical, as on older vehicles? My vote is electrical - wondered if I was correct?
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #6438962nd May 2010 3:55 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi bbyer,
Nice thinking but, sorry, the keylock on the LHS operates the lock mechanically. Unfortunately, if not maintained, it can become very stiff.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #6440722nd May 2010 11:20 pm
bbyer

Mechanical - that is good news.

That is good news - electrical just does not make sense except that the 3 is so technical, that I figured that electrical it was.

I will lubricate the cylinder then with some lock lubricant as yes, it is never used, or at least has not been, so I would think that it could kind of freeze up with non use. Mine is still good, so now is the time to service it.

Thanks - well my wires off the batteries were primarily for the CTEK maintainer so they will be used, but at least not needed for vehicle access.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #6440853rd May 2010 12:02 am
landroverman

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Key access

yes....but with force

Post #89694914th Feb 2012 8:34 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

NO! Not with wd40 and extreme force, now what?
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #89807816th Feb 2012 8:13 pm
bbyer

Powered graphite lock lubricant.

You can purchase lock lubricant from a key cutting place or locksmith.

Powered graphite is what I use in door locks. It is not greasy so does not hold dust and generally works very well. It usually comes in a little squeeze tube that sort of blows the graphite hopefully into the lock mechanism but usually all over so have some Kleenex available to wipe up the residue.
Post #89823417th Feb 2012 4:41 am
mr Lee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Confused Hi i have the same problem can ayone help me here my disco 3 TDV6 2005dec the keys will not lock and unlock left key in overnight to charge itself but only kept charge for one day..will i need new key!! Crying or Very sad

Post #90008722nd Feb 2012 11:44 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The key fob only charges when the engine is running, do not leave your keys in the ignition without the engine running it will flatten the battery, you are lucky the engine started, you must have a vary good battery.
New batteries can be fitted to your existing fobs, although its unlikely both have failed together.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #90009622nd Feb 2012 11:59 am
mr Lee

Very Happy Hi i dont think you can change the battery on a disco 3 2005 dec ,first you have to get the casing open not easy ,second landrover direct have told me that the battery cant be changed Big Cry confused!! who knows !!can anyone give me the right anwser here THX.....

Post #90074623rd Feb 2012 6:32 pm
bbyer

Key Fob Tear apart instructions.

The link below is to one thread re tear apart instructions. There are others as well. What LR was telling you is that they cannot change the battery. What they did not say was that you cannot change the battery - you can.

There are two soldered on "pins/tabs" that electrically connect the battery to the circuit board. Some have found that the problem is the solder job. In other words, re solder the pins and then the battery charges.

About all I can say is that a new battery is cheap so once you have pried the case apart, you may as well have a new battery available as well.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic39609.h...key+%2Bfob
Post #90095124th Feb 2012 6:14 am
mr Lee

Thanks guys for all the info Very Happy Very Happy well done have got a much bigger picture!!now good Luck

Post #90100824th Feb 2012 11:18 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: Key access

landroverman wrote:
yes....but with force

I love this reply in response to a 20 month old post Bow down ...it's as though there has been a timewarp Rolling with laughter
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #90101424th Feb 2012 11:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >