Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Key Fob Buttons Dont Work!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ade

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Key Fob Buttons Dont Work!

I came out of work tonight, pressed alarm fob once and the drivers door unlocked. Pressed it again to unlock the rear doors but nothing happened Question Didn't think anything of it and drove home the 1.5hours fine

Got home and went to lock the car and nothing, none of the buttons work on my fob

Went in the house and got the wifes key, the one she uses when driving the car, and the same, none of the buttons work Question

Both keys start the car, and no messages on the dash

Central locking operates perfectly from the buttons on the dash. At the moment I'm having to use these buttons and the emergency external lock on the front passenger handle to get ina nd out

Does anyone know whats eorng and how to fix it?

Thanks

Ade

Post #59154727th Jan 2010 9:02 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
keys

Hi
The keys are charged through the ignition switch maybe they arnt chrging but could be wrong on this
The next option would be that the keys could have gone out of sync Im sure there is something in the LR manual that tells you how to resync them
If this dosent work then Im afraid its back to the dealer for the keys to be reprogrammed
cheers

Post #59169527th Jan 2010 11:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ade

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I think to re-sync/charge they just need to be in the car ignition for 6mins while running; but that doesn't help

Got a feeling the LR dealer will just want to supply new keys! Sad

Does anyone know where abouts the alarm receiver is located?

Thanks

Ade

Post #59209328th Jan 2010 2:51 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you tried "resetting" the car?

Quote:
Before unplugging any connectors or for Hard Reset

If you're going to unplug any vehicle connectors, make sure you disconnect the battery first, otherwise the vehicle will register loads of 'faults'

The procedure is:-

Remove the key, close all doors, including the tailgate - although you'll need the bonnet (hood) open - don't lock the vehicle though.

Wait a minimum of 2 minutes, then check through the window that the park brake warning light, NAV screen & clock display are all off.

Remove the -ve terminal first, making sure that it can't spring back to the battery, then remove the +ve terminal.

Also for hard reset: short the Positive & Negative CABLES only together. (If they wont reach each other grab a screw driver & place across the ends of the cables...REMEMBER not to short the BATTERY TERMINALS). Leave shorted cables together for a minimum of a minute to discharge capacitors etc.

do whatever you need / want to do / or wait 5 -10 minutes for Hard Reset

Replace the +ve terminal, ensuring it is properly seated and cannot be moved once re-torqued

Refit the -ve terminal, ensuring as far as possible that it makes good contact first time, you may get a small 'arc' as the terminal contacts the battery, nothing to worry about, it's just the vehicle 'waking up'. if it's a good flash and the insulation turns to liquid plastic..... use a tool - not your hands - and remove the -ve terminal as fast as you can, for something is badly wrong.
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #59216728th Jan 2010 5:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

if it's a good flash and the insulation turns to liquid plastic.....
remove the -ve terminal as fast as you can, for something is badly wrong Rolling with laughter

Andy, where the hell did you get this info from
 Member of the carrot crank club

Embarrassingly in for the 2nd round, bought another two

D3 Jack Russell carrier
D4 Landmark for towing duties 

Post #59220428th Jan 2010 6:12 pm
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Not my words - quoted from elsewhere on the site! Laughing I think tongue should be firmly in cheek when reading that bit!
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #59220628th Jan 2010 6:14 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
Does anyone know where about's the alarm receiver is located?

It's in the roof on the center cross bar.

One of its mounting bolts earths it to the body, if its loose it can cause this as i discovered on a week old Sport i once had to fix with the same symptoms.

If you are taking it out, don't mix the bolts up and end up putting longer ones in any holes that shorter ones were in as one LR tech did and ended up with a nasty bump on the cars roof Rolling Eyes

I personally think the hard reset will sort it. If not it could be the batteries in the remote
Here's a Post with some detail about that

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic39609.html?highlight=

Post #59222128th Jan 2010 6:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >