Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Keyless Ignition - a warning!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DerekT

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Keyless Ignition - a warning!

One of the many features of the D4 I like is the ease of which to couple up a trailer. Using the reversing Camera, the tow ball can be aligned with the tow bar, then by using the key fob, the vehicle can be raised or lowered to make the final coupling. A word of warning though! Having done this manouevre the other day, I then proceeded to drive some 8 miles over some fairly undulating roads, stopped and tried to lock the D4 by pressing the button on the door handle as usual.
All I got was the "on no you don't" beep. Looking at the display, I was informed that the key was still within the vehicle. Strangely enough I could not find it! Searched my pockets and then the interior, but no trace of the key.
Eventually did locate the key, on the rear bumper where I had laid it while connecting up the power cables and safety brake to the trailer! I had driven the last 8 miles with it perched there. Fortunately it had not fallen off during the journey. If it had, then I suppose I would have been unable to restart the vehicle once I reached my destination and would have been stranded? Would I have suddenly got a message during the journey to say that "unable to find a key within the vehicle?
Somebody up there must have been looking out for me! Thumbs Up

Post #6340549th Apr 2010 10:59 pm
cte

Wales 

Derek - mine gives a red warning triangle and 'Smart key not found' if there's no key in it with engine running.
Carwyn

Post #6340639th Apr 2010 11:32 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

X2.

Post #6340679th Apr 2010 11:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
forest172

should my GS be able to raise and lower via keyfob??
 Cars:-MY11 Evoque SD4 Pure, MY12 Defender 90 XS & MY08 Evo X RS  
Post #63409310th Apr 2010 8:25 am
mzplcg

England 

Wifey's new XF does exactly this. I managed to leave the keys in the boot and wondered why it wouldn't lock. A few moments of panic until I realised what I'd done. I now have one of those extending belt loop things and the key stays firmly in my pocket until needed when I just pull on the cord and it winds out. Always attached to my strides so no longer possible to leave it lying on anything.

Out of interest, does the D4 have a smart socket? On reading the manual for the XF there is a socket you can put the key into if you want although it's hidden away down by the driver's kick panel.

Dom

Post #63409810th Apr 2010 8:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >