Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Kids independence
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Well my Jake ( 28 ) is now actively looking for his own place to rent Shocked he said he can’t spend another winter in the tin tent Rolling Eyes i obviously said I hope you will still come and zoo site the 4 dogs , 6 cats , 3 chickens , 17 gold fish and a about 18000 bees Thumbs Up when we go away on holidays and camping etc , he said as long as he still has axes to the beer fridge and steak freezer Evil or Very Mad Rolling with laughter

So he’s going from paying NOTHING every month living in the tin tent in my garden

To paying around £650 for a tiny flat in wadebridge plus all bills Shocked and I bet he’s going ask his boss for a pay rise Whistle Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #20742017th Aug 2019 8:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
The Dundonian wrote:
Eldest surpassed himself yesterday. Told me his car needed petrol. My hint to give him money for fuel despite him having a part time job.

Anyway, bunged him £40, he went off, filled it up and came back with the receipt for £40.23 and asked me for the 23p. I was stunned, just gave it to him in coppers. Rolling Eyes

He paid £45 in cash - so he had a fiver more than you gave him - and then demanded the 23p so that his petrol was free for him. And you gave him the 23p.

Don't ever use the insult "snowflake" about others - you're breeding your own. Big Cry

I think some parents need to learn the expression foxtrot oscar!

If he can not afford to put petrol in the car what else can he not afford? New brake pads, new tyres etc. How about insurance and mot?

Why not lend him the money until next payday? What is next on the list? I am going clubbing with my mates, cough, cough hand out?

Brendan

Yes parents should help their children. Help them to being independent and financially responsible not treating them like spoil brats who expect handouts left right and centre.

Post #20742107th Aug 2019 9:06 am
Pelyma

England 

Shocked
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #20742177th Aug 2019 9:30 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Embarassed I purchased his car as a BD pressi, I insure it, I pay for servicing, tyres, repairs, he’s never paid for petrol in his life. I did think the 23p was going a bit OTT.

He’s already stung us for £2k this year for a two week jaunt to Croatia. He’s yet to describe his experiences or show us a photo.

Year before, his Aunt took him to the Far East, business class on a bespoke holiday to Cambodia etc.

In his defence, he’s a student and does voluntary work as well. Thumbs Up

Post #20742207th Aug 2019 9:34 am
al cope

England 

^^ as much as you might love him, thats even more taking the pee

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #20742277th Aug 2019 9:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

And he’s refuse to exit his bed this morning and help me with taking rubbish to the tip. Says I should get the 10 year old to help me.

He tends to forget I’ve got to pay his Halls bill of £5k the end of the month! Rolling Eyes

Post #20742297th Aug 2019 9:54 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just read the full thread. Shocked

Conclusion: If you've got a mirror in the house, (if it were me) I'd have a long hard look in it. Wink

That's my opinion only of course. Thumbs Up
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #20742447th Aug 2019 10:50 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

My lad get's his backside out of bed every day for work not only because he is diligent and wants to pay his own way in life.... but also because he knows I would be kicking it if he didn't Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #20742487th Aug 2019 11:02 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The Dundonian wrote:
And he’s refuse to exit his bed this morning and help me with taking rubbish to the tip. Says I should get the 10 year old to help me.

He tends to forget I’ve got to pay his Halls bill of £5k the end of the month! Rolling Eyes

I think that deep down you know he is extracting the urine, now you have other forum dads confirming it. I understand how hard it can be to break the pattern that has been established, however you will get a nicer long term relationship out of it.

It used to be called 'Tough Love' - not sure that the pc brigade would allow such a term today.

Good luck

Post #20742527th Aug 2019 11:16 am
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Nobody has mentioned National Service... Whistle

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #20742587th Aug 2019 11:38 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

National service is a great idea Thumbs Up if they can’t find a job after so long it should be compulsory Thumbs Up

We all help our kids because with things as that’s part of being a parent, but I don’t throw money at them , I bought the tin tent for Jake to live in as I couldn’t see him homeless , he’d lost his mum 12 months before and needed a bit of scooping up , he didn’t won’t to move in with me and my new partner Julia so tin tent was the best option Thumbs Up he even said the other day when you sell the tin tent he will pay any money lost on it Thumbs Up so he has learnt the value of peoples possessions Thumbs Up so no invoice for him Whistle Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #20742687th Aug 2019 12:23 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

al cope wrote:
^^ as much as you might love him, thats even more taking the pee

Al

Totally taking the weewee, when I got my first car I paid for everything. Me thinks that would be a good start to teaching him the realities in life. If he can’t afford to run a car on his own dollar he can join the masses on public transport. Thumbs Up

Post #20742737th Aug 2019 1:07 pm
Rescue01

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I think the Dundonion is just taking the pi@s or breeding future benefit hand outs. My daughter is 19 at uni and pays all her car bills and holidays with her own work funded cash. We help with away from home uni accommodation Thumbs Up
 Its not the height of the fall but the sudden stop at the bottom that hurts!!  
Post #20743077th Aug 2019 3:35 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The Dundonian wrote:

Many many many years ago my eldest brother (similar age to yours at the time) refused our dad similarly as he asked him to help him with a house he was single handedly renovating.
The next morning, same scenario.....except for the comment from our dad " ok son, i'll be back about 6, make sure you leave the house keys on the table when i get back".
He was out on his ear for 2 months slumming it wherever he could and earning pennies wherever he could (with mum sending him food secretly), but came back with his tail between his legs and sorry for his actions.
It sent a powerful message to him and the rest of us kids Shocked Shocked

We all look back and laugh about it now, but even he admits it changed his attitude for the better.

Post #20744258th Aug 2019 1:43 am
Gorilla63

United Kingdom 

This talk about not being friends to your kids is not something I believe in. Parents should be friends to their children. I think it helps with understanding them, and being able to be closer to them. Being able to ask your folks for a bit of cash when you need it should also not be something to be ashamed of.

Post #20744298th Aug 2019 4:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >