Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Knackered engine - what ya think ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
paul

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

With the Audi, it states in the handbook that the car can use 1lt of oil every 600 miles, so thats 7lts in 4k!
That is not considered unusal!!!
It would have to be a greater consumption than that for Audi to do anything about it.
I guess the D3 could use that sort of oil, but I'm not sure.
I put 2 lts in over 5k miles.

Paul
 2006 TDV6 S Auto, Buckingham Blue, for the wife and kids.
2013 BMW 535d M sport touring. 

Post #39448630th Dec 2008 9:51 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Coachman - had several new Audi's 2.0 Petrol Turbo, 1.9TDI, 2L TDI x 2 and all the diesels have needed 2-3 large top-ups before first service. a tiny amount during interval between 1-2 (20-30K Miles) then not a drop. Never got close to 1L / 600 Miles though, but dealer did say that was the service limit. Audi would investigate on or below that figure . . . . .

Hope this comes to a sensible conclusion. As already stated I doubt goodwill is going to cover too much of this. One of my team had FL2 issues in August and was offered £250 behind the counter at his dealership or a free service. Another member of my team has just had similar major issues with steering racks, power steering etc and has been given a final offer of £100

Bit of a feel for the current climate perhaps Sad
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #39449030th Dec 2008 10:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simonsi

New Zealand 

This is why the history is key, it needs to be established whether this engine suddenly started burning this amount of oil or whether it had never had such an appetite. If it has emptied the sump to this degree after 4000miles then it should have had a serious lack in the sump at its first service - assuming the same owner with no checks or topping up post-service.

Sound´s like there will be a lot on the engine that is still good to use but whether the labour to rebuild is more cost-effective than a new engine from another source is a difficult one. As said above there may now be issues with warped block and heads so you couldn´t necessarily rely on "just" a piston/liner/crank/shells renewal...

Engine from a breaker with a (short) warranty??? Maybe get the dealer to supply the labour to swap them over???

Read my two-year-old her "Cool Cars" book, one bit does mention checking the oil (sorry, couldn´t resist Embarassed Laughing )
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #39449430th Dec 2008 10:05 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

90BHP wrote:
Coachman - had several new Audi's 2.0 Petrol Turbo, 1.9TDI, 2L TDI x 2 and all the diesels have needed 2-3 large top-ups before first service.

I´m sure this high oil consumption came about by manufacturers stretching the first service (in LRs case) from 1k/3k to 15k - hence the engine starts with low-friction oil that has to last 15k and hence it is difficult for the engine to bed in properly. "Old style" they could put in crappy oil at the factory, the engine would run in properly then have its oil changed for decent stuff at the first oil change. Competition engine builders still do this as modern oils prevent their engines running-in in the time they have available.... Sad
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #39449530th Dec 2008 10:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >