Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Knocking noise - Another Worrying Post
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Its a positive sign that you didnt have an oil pressure warning light on but i do know of someone who drove a Discovery with similar noise for 5 miles after the knocking started before the oil light started to flicker

It would still turn over and made a huge noise and had no power but unfortunately still needed a new engine

If you are handy with spanners it is possible to now buy cranks and bearings that werent available easily in the past but its a long job to get the engine out, especially if you are taking out through the front rater than lifting the body off and removing off the chassis

Good luck though, you may be very lucky
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #191670120th Feb 2018 11:30 am
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

darrind wrote:
This is only a guess that this is the cause, you may be lucky and there is another cause

An inspection of the engine will possibly reveal that one of the main bearing shells that the crankshaft rotates inside has managed to rotate and become framed on top of its opposite shell it then gets distorted and damages the face of the crankshaft

Unfortunately this will be a replacement engine which is a big job, and on a vehicle of that age would probably not make economic sense due to the replacement cost. In my case when it happened I sold the car on as I got more than it would return if I added on the cost of a refurb engine

Fingers crossed this is not the case

Stupid question alert!

If the shells have spun, why does that necessitate a new engine?

Cant the shells just be changed?

Post #191673720th Feb 2018 1:08 pm
darrind

Minimum would be a new Crankshaft, and the bearings, timing belt and tensioner, Seals and gaskets etc however there is a huge amount of work to even get to this stage and chances are there will be other things damaged as well. Plus some components have not been available as spare parts from JLR so would have to be sourced elsewhere.

Best to see what the verdict is on the engine though and go from there.

Without having it inspected we are just speculating
Post #191674720th Feb 2018 1:25 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

We had a knocking noise on our 2008 D3 HSE 150,000 miles followed by sudden engine stop.

On investigation looks like crankshaft and needs new engine Big Cry

Just debating whether to sell as it is or get new engine fitted. Big Cry

Post #191675120th Feb 2018 1:35 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
Cant the shells just be changed?

As Darren says, but in addition swarf may well have circulated through the engine, causing damage elsewhere, for instance to the oil pump, camshaft and/or its bearings etc...

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #191675220th Feb 2018 1:35 pm
Philip1972

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks both Thumbs Up

Post #191675520th Feb 2018 1:45 pm
darrind

JLR will now provide a refurbished short engine for around £4,500 plus fitting but at that price by the time you have added another £2000 to fit it just doesnt look that appealing, if you have other issues that need to be addressed. If you are able to get £2500 for it with a damaged engine then add on the refurbished engine fitting costs you are back to way above market value on a 55 or 56 plate.

however if you are happy with the car and are prepared to cover stuff like the box diffs suspension etc it may be worth dropping the money into it to keep it on the road for a few more years
Post #191675720th Feb 2018 1:48 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If it does need a replacement engine in my eyes it's a scrapper. If you've got the space and time you could strip it and sell the parts, then get a vehicle dismantler to take away what's left. I managed to get quite a bit out of mine in several hours, there's lots of easy fruit in there, plus you'd be able to do a proper job. My car was over 2,000 miles away in NW Norway so I only had one day and my D4 to take the parts, with all my camping crap, and could have stripped so much more with more time and carrying capacity. You'd be surprised how much can be raised from sale of the bits, even at "get it shifted, sell it cheap" rates. Thumbs Up

Post #191679820th Feb 2018 3:53 pm
fly_boy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The long and the short of it was that this is a scrapper. On a 55 plate with 189k on the clock it isn’t viable to get it fixed.

I could strip it and sell the parts but don’t have the space or time to get this sorted

Piston connecting rods and a whole sack of spanner’s knocking about.

It moves but at a crawl.

Sad times

Post #191691920th Feb 2018 7:23 pm
darrind

If the engine is a Knacker there is of course the other option that is to find a Jag with a tdv6 and do an engine transplant, then sell off the bits left - knackered engine and Jag needing a motor - can sometimes work out reasonably if you can find a Jag thats not listed on ebay - a mate had one recently for £1250 out of the local paper - 90k from new and full JLR dealer service history. As Jags dont have to carry the weight of the Discovery they can go for big mileage with hardly any wear. The other thing is that because they use more efficient ways to control emissions they never seem to have glow plugs stuck in the heads, (according to the guys in Leicester who offer an extraction service they have not had on in to do compared to hundreds of Discoveries and RRSports
Post #191705321st Feb 2018 12:35 am
Timothy1

Kenya 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

darrind wrote:
Its a positive sign that you didnt have an oil pressure warning light on but i do know of someone who drove a Discovery with similar noise for 5 miles after the knocking started before the oil light started to flicker

It would still turn over and made a huge noise and had no power but unfortunately still needed a new engine

If you are handy with spanners it is possible to now buy cranks and bearings that werent available easily in the past but its a long job to get the engine out, especially if you are taking out through the front rater than lifting the body off and removing off the chassis

Good luck though, you may be very lucky

Darrind,would this happen on idle too or only on the move!?
Heard this loud knocking sound yesterday too few minutes after trying to start my 2005 disco after changing the Hpfp and the engine went off and wouldnt start again.
 Euro Parts Arusha
Tanzania 

Post #192824520th Mar 2018 1:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >