Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Kwik-Fit Can't
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Kwik-Fit Can't

Been told by local depot that they are not able to replace rear pads as they do not have the software to release and reset the EPB. Is this necessary? I understood the EPB worked by cable on shoes and was independent of the hydraulic operated pads. Have I got it wrong (again?) Whistle

Can someone who has had the mechanism in bits give an explanation that their manager will understand?
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #65124520th May 2010 11:44 am
mzplcg

England 

They probably mean they haven't got the ability to put the thing in service mode. (H&S)

I've done mine on the drive with standard tools. I made sure the handbrake was off and the disconnected the battery so it couldn't actuate until I was ready for it.

Yes, shoes inside the hub of the rear discs and completely independent of the pads in the caliper which are for the footbrake.

Post #65125220th May 2010 11:56 am
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I did my own and I haven't got any software.( swmbo might disagree Shocked )
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #65125420th May 2010 11:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

if they're doing the EPB shoes or changing the disks, then their procedure probably won't allow them to do it withoiut the software, but if changing just the pads, then they should have no problem doing that. you can do that with the EPB on, no problem. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #65125820th May 2010 12:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

With the Faultmate I've seen diagnostic operations to do the following within the EPB module:

- Longitudinal Accelerometer Calibration
- Drive to mounting position
- Drive to latching postion
- Unjam

I guess these are mainly used when replacing the EPB actuator module and/or cables, but as I've never had to do it I can't say much more.

I wouldn't have thought it would be necessary to just change the rear brake pads though Confused Question
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #65128420th May 2010 12:55 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

If nobody else is going to ask then I will.

Why are you even considering using Kwik-Fit in the first place?

With no mechanical experiance, but a little common sense, you are more likely to do a better job yourself than Kwik-Fit will do.

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #65128720th May 2010 1:01 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

They should eb able to do the rear pads no problem, but they wouldn't be able to do the EPB, if only coz they are cheap monkeys who can't think for themselves...... Whistle
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #65129120th May 2010 1:14 pm
Navigator

Nasher wrote:
Why are you even considering using Kwik-Fit in the first place?

If you promise not to tell them, I'll explain........

You pay once and then they replace the pads for as long as you have the vehicle at no further charge. I had my D1 for 10 years, the RR before that for 13 years, and I expect to have this D3 for a further 10 years. If I get new pads once a year it brings the effective cost to £7.12 a set, with no effort or mess on my part. Also, if it is done badly and there is an accident due to failure, then it's not me that is liable. (OK - I might be dead, but if so I'll have left this discussion anyway)

I had four replacement exhausts from them on the D1 and only paid for the first. They are actually betting with their customers as to how long they own their vehicle. The national average is apparently 18 months, so what they make on the others, they loose on mean folk like me.

Looks like I'm going to find out just how much effort and mess is involved in the rears however - not a lot I suspect!
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #65132720th May 2010 2:12 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Navigator, the pads are a piece of cake and there is NO SOFTWARE needed to change the brake pads whatsoever.
No special procedures at all.

Remove the brake wear sensor (if fitted)
Undo Brake Caliper bolts
Remove old pads and shims
Push caliper pistons back in
fit new shims and pads
fit new caliper bolts 35Nm

Fit new wheel....

Now if they're doing the rear Handbrake shoes, then that's different, but pads are no different to most cars Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #65132820th May 2010 2:17 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Quote:
To ensure your brakes are always at their best, we offer a unique brakes lifetime guarantee. Once you have pads or shoes fitted at Kwik Fit, the replacement of these parts when they wear out is absolutely free to you, as long as you own the car.

You can drive in where and when it is convenient to you, no appointment is necessary and with the Kwik Fit life time brake guarantee you are sure of great value.

The examination includes the digital measurement of wear on brake pads, shoes, brake discs and drums against the manufacturer’s specifications. The aim is to provide the best possible advice to help you restore the condition and efficiency of your braking system to as near the manufacturer’s original specification as possible.

Kwik Fit Brake check takes around 45 minutes to complete and the result of this examination is recorded on a written brake report together with a quote for any required work.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #65132920th May 2010 2:19 pm
Navigator

Been back to collect the D3 from Kwik-Fit and explained to the chaps there what is, and isn't, involved with the info you guys supplied. Bow down

They tell me they can't do it anyway because the have blanket instructions from Head Office not to work on anything with an electric/electronic parking brake. As the man said, "If we are told not to work on green cars, we just don't work on green cars."

"OK", says I - "How come you are able to quote a price in advance for doing the work?" They are now totally lost!

Next step is to chase their Head Office - maybe I'll just pop in on them as its on my way from here to Edinburgh. Rolling with laughter
Post #65135520th May 2010 3:27 pm
4-Tech

United Kingdom 

Altogether now....

`YOU CAN`T GET FICKER THAN A KWIK-FIT FITTER.....` Very Happy

Post #65138420th May 2010 5:00 pm
Navigator

"Oh yes we can!"; "Oh no we can't!"; &qu

You chaps will realise this is real - no-one could make this up!

I tried to phone the technical department at Kwik-Fit Head Office but the call got routed to a local depot - but not the one I had visited earlier. When I explained why I wanted to talk to their Head Office the chap said, "No problem at all, Sir. We can fit rear pads for you here. I'll just get stock organised and phone you back" Very Happy

No call back so I phone them. "Oh, we can't do it Sir!. There are no pads available. The last set was sent this morning to xxxxxx." Guess which branch wouldn't fit? Yes, xxxxxx branch. So branch that will fit can't get pads - branch that has pads won't fit them. Lets just skip the next bit, shall we? Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Original branch has now fitted with absolutely no problem as I stood over them all the time.

Thanks for all the info in replies here, and the off-thread info as well. Thumbs Up

(P.S. - They will work on green cars now.)
Post #65140820th May 2010 6:04 pm
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

How much they charge you Navigator? Am havin some of that life time thing Lol

Post #65145020th May 2010 8:20 pm
Navigator

Front: £71.25 Rear: £81.00
Even if you only get them replaced twice before you part with vehicle it's a good buy. I'll be back every year from now on!
Post #65145220th May 2010 8:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >