Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Lampholders in front light units
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Lampholders in front light units

Fitted LED lights instead of the filament ones for the front sidelights tonight. But about three inches back on the red and black cables on the lampholder there's another holder with no bulb in it, that if it was would illuminate a small section of the vertical amber strip running up the corner of the headlight unit.

What's this for? The holders are wired in parallel so would come on with the sidelights. Is this for other countries that can show amber lights to the front?

The new LED lights are bright! Almost to the point of looking blue (but they're not) against the dipped beam Shocked

Also, I pulled the holder out when tinkering with these second ones, and the LED bulb is tight against the hole through into the lens, so came off and fell inside Big Cry . Took about an hour with two of us rattling the headlight unit around and trying to lasso the end of the bulb to pull it out. If I'd have unclipped the entire front plastic lens, would it have sealed again successfully? I didn't want to try it in case.

Post #7112532nd Nov 2010 8:56 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

When I fitted my LED side lights I also noticed the empty lamp sockets on the vertical amber bit. I put the old bulbs in and was surprised to see they immediately worked. I believe these are for the US market as amber running lights? I quickly removed them when it was clear people kept thinking my indicator was on and pulling out in front of me! (Volvo drivers will be aware of the problem because they also have them in the uk as standard). Very annoying.
Rolling Eyes
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #7113502nd Nov 2010 11:58 pm
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Shocked

Never had that problem with the Volvo, the daytime running light is not visible from the front and does not put light into the main lamp housing.

Interesting though, will need to watch for that Thumbs Up

Ian

Post #7118154th Nov 2010 12:02 am
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The spare bulb holder is indeed for the amber side markers as required for the north american markets, the wires are there and they work with the sidelights.
Couple of points to note though - the non north american light units usually have the holes where the side marker bulbs go blanked off so you can't push the bulb in and there would be no light anyway becuase its blanked off. Some on here have drilled them out carefully so that they can get the side markers working.

Odd Crews that yours worked - implies that yours is fitted with NA spec headlight units or someone has drilled them out previously.

Also I am sure that they are not supposed to be fitted with a 5w bulb (which is what the standard side/number plate/interior bulbs are) it should be a 3w bulb which are harder to find (but do exist on a good auction site......) This may be why Crews looked more like indicators than side markers becuase they were too bright. Smile

Last edited by discoteca on 4th Nov 2010 2:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7119734th Nov 2010 1:57 pm
Old Sailor

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

discoteca wrote:
The spare bulb holder is indeed for the amber side markers as required for the north american markets, the wires are there and they work with the sidelights.
Couple of points to note though - the non north american light units usually have the holes where the side marker bulbs go blanked off so you can't push the blub in and there would be no light anyway becuase its blanked off. Some on here have drilled them out carefully so that they can get the side markers working.

Odd Crews that yours worked - implies that yours is fitted with NA spec headlight units or someone has drilled them out previously.

Also I am sure that they are not supposed to be fitted with a 5w bulb (which is what the standard side/number plate/interior bulbs are) it should be a 3w bulb which are harder to find (but do exist on a good auction site......) This may be why Crews looked more like indicators than side markers becuase they were too bright. Smile

No need to cry old fella!!!!! Whistle
 Run silent, run deep!! HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Ocelot, Porpoise, Onslaught.

Oh Lord! send down a dove, with wings as sharp as razors.
To cut the throats of men, that sell bad beer to sailors.

VIN 138A476*** 

Post #7119764th Nov 2010 2:05 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Old Sailor wrote:
No need to cry old fella!!!!! Whistle

haha well spotted Sailor. I'll edit it now Very Happy

Post #7119784th Nov 2010 2:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >