Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Land Rover Brand?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
BORDER ROVER

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I bought a set of wheels off a guy in Redditch a couple of weeks ago and he works for LR, he reckons that there might not be a Disco after the D4 as the freelander is meant to be getting 7 seats so moving into the D3/4 area. Also with the move up in the interior quality of the D4 its moved into Range Rover territory.

He also mentioned that the new defender will be based on the current D3 under pinnings and air suspension. Well that the rumour control that i have heard.
 POT NOODLE NAVIGATION CHALLENGE 2010 WINNER
Club Sankey
Club pie and peas 

Post #46559111th May 2009 12:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

The Defender on the T5 platform rumour has floated around for a long time ISTR - its a fairly obvious choice really - surprised a privateer actually hasn't had a go yet given how easily a D3 body can be separated from its chassis Neutral
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #46560311th May 2009 1:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

character wrote:
I thought EU Leg meant the defender was off the road by 2012?

Yep that's for the current model Thumbs Up

SN wrote:
The Defender on the T5 platform rumour has floated around for a long time ISTR - its a fairly obvious choice really - surprised a privateer actually hasn't had a go yet given how easily a D3 body can be separated from its chassis Neutral

Idea

One car with two bodies Thumbs Up All you need is a body hoist. Stick the D4 body on when you want to be posh like Thumbs Up and when done and youse wants to yet dirty or carry loads that would damage the posh car stick the Defener body on or something similar.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #46561511th May 2009 1:28 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

tell yer what andrew, I'm sure the bods from LR R&D have already had the heads up on that one, given the cost of putting a new model on the road, would make economical sense to share the same platform, afterall there are many a brand sharing one anothers platforms, saab 93 / vauxhall vectra, Lamborghini gallardo 560-4 /audi r8, and the list goes on Shocked

Post #46561911th May 2009 1:45 pm
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

BORDER ROVER wrote:
I bought a set of wheels off a guy in Redditch a couple of weeks ago and he works for LR, he reckons that there might not be a Disco after the D4 as the freelander is meant to be getting 7 seats so moving into the D3/4 area. Also with the move up in the interior quality of the D4 its moved into Range Rover territory.

He also mentioned that the new defender will be based on the current D3 under pinnings and air suspension. Well that the rumour control that i have heard.

Apart from the observation that LR will produce anything they can make a profit on, I agree that we can expect a) lengthened 7 seat Freelander will move into space vacated by lower spec D3, and a D3 based defender could be in the Nissan Patrol sized segment. Problem is lightwight construction and hybrid technologies put a lot on sticker price and are easier to swallow with FFRR/RRS. \The new RR whatsit to be built at Halewood is a clue to where LR see themselves making a profit. Also no D5

Personally, the D4 has made me think twice about previous plans to replacee my 54 plate "S" in a few years. I also want a rufty-tufty vehicle not a luxury/exec. The d4 isn't where I wanted the Disco to go - I wanted same size, less weight, better MPG/emissions/tax rates, i.e. lower running cost. e.g the 3.0L negated the emission/tax advantage by being auto only. I'm noww thinking about looking for a "fire sale" of D3s around August- November to shift stock of old model - hope I can picjk up 2.7 manual D3 XS or SE at bargain price to set me up for next decade.

Post #46566811th May 2009 4:15 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

nigelc, second hand prices will not be a bargain as the delivery date from order to being supplied with a new d4 will simply get longer, you'll have to wait until at least early 2010 to see how the d3's appeal wains under the shadow of the D4 and of course that will be very regional, up north prices will be firmer, down the leafy lanes of kent/home counties you might find little interest in 56/07/57 plate d3's and that's where your bargains are to be had Thumbs Up

Post #46589412th May 2009 1:37 am
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Evolution is taking the "sport" out of sport utility vehicle. To me, Land Cruiser, Hummer, and G-Wagon seem better suited to come up against, even targeting Jeep (Cherokee type) owners that want something more outdoorsy looking but higher-end. Sorry for all the cussing Laughing And of course, most importantly target us - the loyal enthusiasts! Razz

While it's growing on me the D4 looks to be the poor cousin of Range Rover, or Freelander's wealthy uncle, rather than in a league of it's own.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #46589712th May 2009 2:36 am
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

character wrote:
nigelc, second hand prices will not be a bargain as the delivery date from order to being supplied with a new d4 will simply get longer, you'll have to wait until at least early 2010 to see how the d3's appeal wains under the shadow of the D4 and of course that will be very regional, up north prices will be firmer, down the leafy lanes of kent/home counties you might find little interest in 56/07/57 plate d3's and that's where your bargains are to be had Thumbs Up

Take your point, approved LR used vehicles don't seem to have come down and some of the big discounts on new ones are not being advertised any more. I'll test the water on my theory in the autumn - firesale was a bit of an exaggeration, but i think there may be a few bargains on outgoing model stuck in dealerships.

Post #46590612th May 2009 6:24 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Or there is this option.

http://www.massif.iveco.com/

Click image to enlarge
Post #46595412th May 2009 9:31 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Andrew Thumbs Up

I like the Massif. Since it was launched I've always thought that it's what the Defender should be.

I believe they also offer a no-cost option to stick AT or MT tyres on it - something LR could never get away with doing as it would scare off Joe Public and cause problems for safety tests/approvals.

I was driving alongside one yesterday on the way home and it looked good. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #46595912th May 2009 9:38 am
BORDER ROVER

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The way its going and by the time i can afford get a new one, i think i will be looking at a new defender, when is it due.

Mind you if its along the lines of the Iveco and D3 underneath it will be a good looking bit of kit imo.
 POT NOODLE NAVIGATION CHALLENGE 2010 WINNER
Club Sankey
Club pie and peas 

Post #46596512th May 2009 10:01 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Massif is still on leaf spring though Surprised
 The End  
Post #46596612th May 2009 10:02 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Slimer wrote:
Massif is still on leaf spring though Surprised

And it wont be available for another year.
Post #46596812th May 2009 10:03 am
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Is this a Santana Joint venture thing?
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #46597112th May 2009 10:06 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think Iveco owns Santana nowadays
 The End  
Post #46597312th May 2009 10:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to: