Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Land Rover Brand?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
neil P

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Land Rover Brand?

I've been reading the discussions over the D4 with interest, and one thing strikes me that I don't think seems to get discussed. What effect does this new vehicle have on the Land Rover brand?

All of the pre-launch info on D4 seems to suggest that the vehicle is going yet further up market, and to make the vehicle more 'car like'. In fact the launch material speaks about making the interior look more like a luxury car. I notice that the new 3 litre engine can't even be had with a manual gearbox.

Surely this isn't what the Land Rover brand is all about.

I love the fact that my Disc3 has a utility look and feel about it. I want to be able to chuck two mucky dogs in the back, or a couple of mountain bikes, without worrying too much about marking expensive trim and mouldings.

If you want a luxury 4x4 surely that is what the Range Rover brand is all about. What distinguishes land Rover from Range Rover if they are both premium price luxury 4x4's?

I'd be interested in others thoughts.....
 Discovery TDV6 S Silver
BMW Z3 Blue
MGB GT Red
Aston DB6 Blue

When it's good it's very good, but when it's broken I want my money back. 

Post #46552911th May 2009 11:04 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I'm sure over the coming years we'll all be moaning about the "hybrid" LR.

Unfortunately, given the price tag of the D3 and that the HSE has proven very popular against the others in the range, the great unwashed have spoken with their wallets.

To offer a strong alternative to the lower ranged FFRR is an indication of where the FFRR will be in the years ahead, dead along with the Defender.

Evolution has its part to play, just have to buy seat covers Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter

Post #46553611th May 2009 11:14 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I have had this discussion with my dealer. There is a big gap now between the Defender and the next model up the D4. Personally I think the D4 is a bit up market for me to use as a site vehicle, however the price increase is minimal compared to the D3. So I suppose I can justify using a D4 on site Whistle Unless the new Defender hits the mark if it does I wont bother with the D4.

Idea So will Martin be creating a New New Defender forum. Question

How many D3 people will go for the new new Defender as opposed to a D4 bearing in mind that the new new defender will be based on the D3.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #46553911th May 2009 11:19 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

AndrewS wrote:
bearing in mind that the new new defender will be based on the D3.

Is this an official rumour Andrew?

Post #46554111th May 2009 11:22 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

the D4 info and photo's all show a nice top of the range model, i'm sure they will still offer lower spec models for those of us that want to get muddy, same as with the d3, you have HSE and then everything else below all the way to the S that is as basic as can be,,,,or am i wrong here?

as for the new defender, i'd love one but will really need to see what it looks like first.. air or coils?

Post #46554211th May 2009 11:24 am
Willy Eckerslike

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I'd go for the new defender for sure, too much muddy wet kit, fishing gear, dogs, wood, Bikes, general crap to warrant a D4, the D3 is starting to look scruffy after 4 months as it is, having acquired a few sratches dints and spills.

Pete
 Club Pie n Pea
One life....Fish it
D3 Gone but not forgotten
Club Men of Oak
Club Walnut sniffers
D4 Van owner
Ents long lost Uncle 

Post #46554311th May 2009 11:25 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The only pictures we've seen are of top-spec HSEs at the New York show.

Do we know for sure that the interior on the base/mid-range models will be the same as the HSE? I ask as it seems this is the main area of concern for those who are stating a preference for the D3.

The D3/4 is pitched in against the Touareg, X5, ML, Q7, etc (even the RRS). Against this competition an upmarket interior has to be available - this is what the market for this type of vehicle now demands.

It just so happens that, unlike the majority of its competitors, the D3/4 also appeals to those who use their vehicles for work/play - so LR have to strike a balance. They've been very successful at doing this so far and I can't believe they are about to throw away that market.

Not strictly on topic I know.

Post #46556311th May 2009 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Reading between the LR lines. I reckon that the new new Defender has overshot its realease date by a few years, and they have improved or 'bodged' the current model to keep it going until they can get the new new Defender sorted.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #46557611th May 2009 12:11 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

ad15 wrote:
you have HSE and then everything else below all the way to the S that is as basic as can be,,,,or am i wrong here?
Yep, you're wrong Rolling Eyes HSE, XS, GS & Commercial versions only Sad Not sure what LR are playing at but it's ruled me out at a D4 owner for the forseeable future Confused The End  
Post #46557811th May 2009 12:14 pm
character

I thought EU Leg meant the defender was off the road by 2012?

Last edited by character on 11th May 2009 12:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #46558111th May 2009 12:16 pm
character

Slimer wrote:
ad15 wrote:
you have HSE and then everything else below all the way to the S that is as basic as can be,,,,or am i wrong here?
Yep, you're wrong Rolling Eyes HSE, XS, GS & Commercial versions only Sad Not sure what LR are playing at but it's ruled me out at a D4 owner for the forseeable future Confused

dont forget the GS & Commercial have the 2.7tdv6, same manual box and auto box as d3, so cant realllly call it a d4 can yer Whistle

Post #46558211th May 2009 12:18 pm
catweasel

I'd have to say that I think you are wrong Martin. what is the point of the sport if the D4 is competing with it. I'm pretty sure the market you speak of is the RRSport's market and the D4 market is within this very forum so not really conclusive IMHO

Post #46558411th May 2009 12:18 pm
character

what about this as an alternative for the defender or d4, still a LR Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

or a little sooner...... Whistle

Post #46558511th May 2009 12:23 pm
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I do about 1500 k 's per week.Bearing this in mind if LR improved the comfort of the Defender I'd say I would choose it over the D4.Love the D3 but am not into the luxury look,just doesn't suit my day to day tasks.The Discovery model up to D3 is a happy medium of utilitarian and reasonable comfort.

I've over 200k on this one at the mo since June 06 and I'll happily wait another 200 to see what they're going to do with the Defender not just its look but it's engine & safety attributes.I'm not bitter about the D4 progression just as long as LR look after all everyones tastes/needs.

Post #46558811th May 2009 12:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
neil P

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm glad I raised this now. It has stimulated some interesting discussion. (wouldn't have expected any less)

Defender is supposed to be dead and buried by 2014. It won't meet crash regulations, and would be impossibly expensive to re-engineer.

I 'know' that defender replacement has been the subject of huge discussion inside Land Rover.

Problem has always been that the current volume of sales would never justify the engineering costs of a new vehicle. If it happens at all it's likely to be based on the Disco running gear, and then only after the current Disco is phased out. Volume considerations haven't been helped by the fact that it is no longer a suitable vehicle for much of the armed forces.

I suspect that if Defender replacement happens at all it will be built elsewhere. (think company ownership and cheap labour) When ford owned Land Rover there was a study to move the current Defender to the Transit plant in Turkey.

Back onto topic.....

I believe like some others that boundary between Disco4 and Range Rover sport has all but disappeared. Why do we need both.......
 Discovery TDV6 S Silver
BMW Z3 Blue
MGB GT Red
Aston DB6 Blue

When it's good it's very good, but when it's broken I want my money back. 

Post #46558911th May 2009 12:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >