Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Land Rover Extended Warranty - Totally Worthless!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
packingstrips

DrLex wrote:
"It was however pointed out to me that at MOT time if the wear became that bad it would of course be covered by the MO)T part of the warranty. No problems there then!"

" because the dealer contacted the warranty department a few months ago about the 'normal' wear on these parts they would not be covered by the MOT failure warranty!"

Put these two together and make a case against the dealer - you relied on their representation of being covered and their actions caused your loss of cover. Shame that the most expensive warranty looks to be the least useful.

Personally, I consider these warranties to be a lottery and hence I shall be starting a fourth year (year 7 of ownership) without one.

Why?...they were never a covered item anyway!!

Im assuming the Dealer wanted to change them previous but wasnt authorised...that isnt the dealers fault!

At some stage he would have had to pay for these bushes!!

Post #76654324th Feb 2011 8:10 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

IMO ALL aftermarket warranties are worthless!!

Ask yourself - Why do these companies offer you this 'service'?
Is it for your benefit and just so they can look after you ?

No way, they just want your money and couldn't give a t*ss about you!

Best bet, accept you D3 will need some work done some time, put a pot of money aside [from the wad that you'd normally pay them with], when a repair comes along accept it and fix it.

Believe me, I talk form [WD & AA] past experiences!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #76654524th Feb 2011 8:19 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have studied these policies and after speaking with a very knowledgeable lady at Warranty Direct when looking to buy one, she clearly warned me of get out clauses even with their own non Luxury Care products, bushes even came up in the conversation. In the end I went for the Warranty Direct Luxury Care policy as it states clearly what is NOT covered where nearly all other polices state what is covered, so anything NOT stated, is covered, including wear and tear. I have logged full details in a thread on this section of the forum for exactly these reasons, but if you don't want to bother reading it to get hints then that is up to you.

I did the research (plenty of info on this site) and feel I made the right decision for my needs, I think running a D3 without a warranty is nuts as they are so unreliable and costly to get repaired, unless of course you can do it yourself or have contacts, this is from my nightmare 2yrs of ownership although touch wood the niggles seem to have settled now.

The moral of the story is read the small print, understand these companies are there for a reason, and make sure their terms of business suit you. CCP offered to cover me through the CSMA for £400yr, (they apparently do the LR extended warranty), I rejected that due to the very reasons stated in this thread as I READ the small print and opted for Warranty Direct Luxury Care for £535yr plus 1mth free.

Post #76656424th Feb 2011 8:39 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

ronp wrote:
IMO ALL aftermarket warranties are worthless!

Hate to disagree with you Ron but had no problems with Tesco/CCP and WD! Been one of my more astute purchases and wouldn't dream of running a cash cow like a D3 without a warranty behind me. OK as it gets older and higher mileage there will be the old laws of diminishing returns but I'm not there yet. I sit in dealers' waiting areas and hear too many phone calls to owners listing loads of faults and a few thousand £s price tag, £500 warranty would have paid for a lot of it.

Post #76656524th Feb 2011 8:46 pm
packingstrips

So I have just come from the dealer and as you might expect the wear was now an MOT failure.

Ive was just reading the posts from yesterday and realised this comment from yesterday. It sounds from that that you were expecting the bushes to fail?.....so were you knowingly driving an unroadworthy vehicle on the highway?

Did you expect the bushes to fail?

Post #76706425th Feb 2011 8:11 pm
MikeS

Wales 

I'm looking into the next warranty for my RRS at the moment, the LR Extended runs out in 3 weeks. Have to say, I've had nothing but an easy time with the LR Extended (not the Select one) and in fact only today it's stumped up for a new Throttle Body & repairs to the transfer box that meant it had to come out. Add that to the new brake caliper & driveshaft last year and I reckon it was £700 well spent.

This Warranty Direct Luxury warranty looks to be the one to go for next, will be getting a quote over the weekend to see how it fairs. I'm certainly expecting problems in the next few months, afterall it would seem bushes & balljoints are consumables on these Censored and I've not had a set for 'knocking' on 30k miles now Laughing
 BV55 YZE, ex G4 Challenge RRS. So not a Disco 3. Well, not quite.  
Post #76718525th Feb 2011 11:19 pm
C6REW

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

packingstrips wrote:
So I have just come from the dealer and as you might expect the wear was now an MOT failure.

Ive was just reading the posts from yesterday and realised this comment from yesterday. It sounds from that that you were expecting the bushes to fail?.....so were you knowingly driving an unroadworthy vehicle on the highway?

Did you expect the bushes to fail?

My apologies for not being on for a while so missed your comments.

No the bushes had not failed they had worn and as confirmed by the garage they were not worn to the state of being a problem. Just advisory during the service. I made totally sure of that and confirmed this with the garage when the MOT was carried.

So I am afraid your conjecture as to driving a vehicle which was unroadworthy is totally unfounded!

Best regards

Chris

Post #77274510th Mar 2011 4:14 pm
C6REW

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I thought it quite amusing that I received a letter from the warranty company asking me why I had not renewed and giving me a last chance!

Oh how nice of them to give me an opportunity to write back. I have explained the situation exactly as it happened and await their response with interest.

Best regards

Chris

Post #77274710th Mar 2011 4:17 pm
packingstrips

My apologies for not being on for a while so missed your comments.

No the bushes had not failed they had worn and as confirmed by the garage they were not worn to the state of being a problem. Just advisory during the service. I made totally sure of that and confirmed this with the garage when the MOT was carried.

So I am afraid your conjecture as to driving a vehicle which was unroadworthy is totally unfounded!

No conjecture at all.

The garage must of wanted to replace the bushes otherwise they would have not have phoned the warranty company. Im guessing it was your decision not to replace the bushes after this point?

In your post you say that " as you would expect they failed the mot " which to me sounds like you were expecting them to fail, so , hence the reason why i say if you were expecting them to fail you were knowingly driving it on the road.

Youve written it yourself in the previous posts....conjecture doesnt come in to it.

In this instance i can totally understand why the bushes were not covered when they failed the mot. With your best interests the garage tried to get them replaced before the mot but werent allowed due to them deeming it to be wear and tear. The garage have done nothing wrong in my books.

Post #77280210th Mar 2011 7:17 pm
packingstrips

I thought it quite amusing that I received a letter from the warranty company asking me why I had not renewed and giving me a last chance!

Is that wise? Anyone who runs a D3 without a warranty needs their bumps felt. Hope that decision doesnt come back and bite you on the Censored !!

Post #77283310th Mar 2011 8:12 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I personally wouldn't dream of trying to run one of these without a warranty. I'm not a techie so can't do the many fixits required, besides is a blown turbo a DIY fix?? I don't look at it as win = I get more back, loose = I don't, there are far too many expensive things that can (and do) fail on these cars so I think of it as insurance for these. How many peeps do we see new here with thousands of pounds worth of issues that would easily have been covered by a decent warranty??

Ya pays yer money (or not) & ya takes yer chances! Whistle

Post #77283910th Mar 2011 8:25 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #77285110th Mar 2011 8:46 pm
packingstrips

I don't agree that the Disco is a cash cow or unreliable, unless you fall into the category above.

Cash cow no....more like money pit.

Post #77285410th Mar 2011 8:51 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #77285610th Mar 2011 8:53 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

dangerdave wrote:
...Warranties are insurance policies which will make money from you in the long run. Therefore the price they offer will be an average of all the claims divided by the policy holders and add a good wallop for admin/profit....

I agree, but don't forget that there will be a large spectrum of claims from those with no claims to those like DSL! The bet is between you and the warranty company as to which category you fall into. Of course, on average they'll win, but you don't know which category you'll fall into...

When making the decision, I find it more helpful to think of it in terms of : "...is it likely my car will need more than five hours labour time on warranty work over the next 13 months?..."
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #77285910th Mar 2011 8:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >