Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Land Rover fit DVD Player
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
newtolr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Land Rover fit DVD Player

I know, I know, a very expensive option but its so quiet in the car when the kids are there now, can't use the wireless headsets yet as they are still to young but can't wait for that.

Anyway the question. When they install the thing they have a plug which goes in the aux socket, little thing and liable to get lost, can you buy spares. Also do they make a double plug so i can connect an ipod as well, or do i take the chance with the little plug.

one problem i must confess to is i now know all the lyrics to mary poppins and its driving people mad at work, its on all the time, roll on headphones.

Post #1935823rd Sep 2005 8:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
croyde

Any idea what it would cost to retro fit?

Post #1936123rd Sep 2005 8:41 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thought the DVD player was only available as a dealer fit? (i.e. even if ordered on a new vehicle, the dealer would fit it... if you order it with a new vehicle, you save the fitting charge) I would imagine that they would charge about 4-6 hours to fit

Post #1938323rd Sep 2005 10:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

DVD kit is part number YIP500280 RHD fitting kit is VUB503820

Post #1938523rd Sep 2005 10:18 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Land Rover fit DVD Player

newtolr wrote:
I know, I know, a very expensive option but its so quiet in the car when the kids are there now, can't use the wireless headsets yet as they are still to young but can't wait for that.

Anyway the question. When they install the thing they have a plug which goes in the aux socket, little thing and liable to get lost, can you buy spares. Also do they make a double plug so i can connect an ipod as well, or do i take the chance with the little plug.

one problem i must confess to is i now know all the lyrics to mary poppins and its driving people mad at work, its on all the time, roll on headphones.

On the iPOD racks in gizmo shops, they do a '2 into 1' white plug ..
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #1938823rd Sep 2005 10:25 pm
graemem

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had a local company (TMC in Leighton Buzzard) fit a VST 8" DVD Player. The whole thing cost £500 including fitting and headphones which are phillips. They made no cuts in the roof, simply removed the existing light cluster and installed in the same space. They also left the old light connectors so that it can be removed in about 5 minutes and the light cluster re-installed.

It was a cracking job done in about 1.5 hours and the wee one loves it so much that we have to use the other car more just to stop her winging about wanting to watch a DVD and spend quality family time together.

Post #1940823rd Sep 2005 10:53 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Morning Graemem
If you ever get a chance it would be nice to get a picture of your DVD player. Does it hangdown all the time? WE wondered about getting a dealer fitted DVD, the local garage ( part of the Pendragon Group) were offering one for about £1000 but took out some of the lining!
Smile

Post #1951224th Sep 2005 8:19 am
woodman438

just so you know the little plug that LR plug into the socket is just a dummy bit of plastic to break the ground connection on the socket as the audio is "split" into the loom in the passenger footwell - this is post the socket.

Not wishing to be too technical, but to avoid noise/buzzing when nothing is plugged into the socket it shorts the input to ground to get a silence. This dummy plug just removes the short.

If you loose it, any mini jack will do

See my other post if you want to use this input with an ipod aswell as a DVD player
 D3 JB/B V6 HSE + DVD and NAVtv addon, Steps, Tints, PTI
DVD Modified for front screen display, retro gaming unit added and Road Angel installed. Kahn RSC2-22 wheels 

Post #1954724th Sep 2005 2:43 pm
graemem

jollybodger wrote:
Morning Graemem
If you ever get a chance it would be nice to get a picture of your DVD player. Does it hangdown all the time? WE wondered about getting a dealer fitted DVD, the local garage ( part of the Pendragon Group) were offering one for about £1000 but took out some of the lining!
Smile

Sure, will take some piccies tomorrow and post them. The screen pops down when you want to watch it and you can use the IR headphones (I have two sets in the car) or better still, I brought the output phono leads out from the top of the unit and if you obtain a phono to jack lead you can plug it into the car stereo aux port. Toystory sounds brillant when it is played through the stereo.

Post #1986026th Sep 2005 10:59 pm
graemem

As promised here is the pictures of my DVD player that I had installed by an independent.

The connectors at the back that look like they are hanging were added by me as they are left & right sound out. When I have more than 2 wanting to watch the DVD I plug a jack to phono cable into these sockets and output through the AUX port on the car stereo. There is also a composite (yellow) cable for outputting the picture which if I could be bothered could look at piping through to the satnav screen in the front. The sockets actually in the casing are input so you can attach a games console, camcorder etc.

The brand is VST and the model is 8"tilt. We bought it and had it installed by TMC (The Motor Company) in Leighton Buzzard, they also have premises in Northampton, Milton Keynes and Dunstable.

Hope this is of use.[/img]

Post #2007727th Sep 2005 8:06 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Looks good but doesn't it (like all similar centrally mounted players) not obscure the rear-view mirror when it's folded down?
 The End  
Post #2007927th Sep 2005 8:14 pm
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's a neat job Graemem. I take it that the two lights take up the loss of the existing light unit that was removed. A silly question but is it quite firmly attached to the ceiling? Was the price for purchase and insertion a special or standard price?
Thanks Smile

Post #2008827th Sep 2005 8:59 pm
graemem

of course, but real lads use the wing mirrors!

Post #2008927th Sep 2005 9:00 pm
10forcash

graemem wrote:
of course, but real lads use the wing mirrors!
anything behind you is in the past... and therefore not relevant Laughing Laughing ... unless you're name is Victor Meldrew  
Post #2009127th Sep 2005 9:03 pm
graemem

jollybodger wrote:
That's a neat job Graemem. I take it that the two lights take up the loss of the existing light unit that was removed. A silly question but is it quite firmly attached to the ceiling? Was the price for purchase and insertion a special or standard price?
Thanks Smile

Yeh the lights work when the doors open and close, although you can't independently switch them on if that makes sense. It is supplied with a steel backing plate which is installed in the existing hole where the lighting cluster was and it overlaps the hole internally enough to provide support to the unit which screws into the backing plate with four bolts. This then tightens the whole thing right up and is completely sturdy, you could hang off it and it won't budge. As for price, the unit £400 and installation £100. The headphones were meant to be extra but we got them thrown in but are £20 each in Argos. Other than that there was no other deal done.

Post #2009327th Sep 2005 9:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >