stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Quote:
My 19" choice would be the slightly oversized:

Cooper Weathermaster
Cooper
255/60 r19
£103

Are you sure about this? It would be 12.5mm greater diameter - that seems a lot.

Does anyone have any other favs for 19 inch? I have had two pairs of Vreds, long lasting but poor for aqua planing; and two pairs of Scorpion winters, good grip but prone to punctures and quick wearing. Time for a change methinks.
 d4 HSE  
Post #18766257th Nov 2017 10:33 am
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

BFG KO2's also have the snowflake, but not really siped for winter use.

Post #18766417th Nov 2017 11:07 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

stick wrote:
Quote:
My 19" choice would be the slightly oversized:

Cooper Weathermaster
Cooper
255/60 r19
£103

Are you sure about this? It would be 12.5mm greater diameter - that seems a lot.

Does anyone have any other favs for 19 inch? I have had two pairs of Vreds, long lasting but poor for aqua planing; and two pairs of Scorpion winters, good grip but prone to punctures and quick wearing. Time for a change methinks.

Just over 1cm overall diameter. Tread wear on ATR tyres could be that much...

Fine by me and more comfortable ride thrown in Thumbs Up

Post #18766697th Nov 2017 11:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Talking of "that time of year again" I'm really looking forward to the "my car is smoking from under the bonnet" posts. Laughing Laughing

Bit late DSL the first one was over a week ago 😂😂
 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8 what a car
Discovery 3 HSE 2006 gone but never forgotten
Member of the 234,567 mile club😎

Post #18766707th Nov 2017 12:03 pm
qcnr

Norway 

I have the Cooper WSC tyres on my D2 and find them very good to drive with (265.60x18).
Just be aware that they are designed for use with studs, and that omitting them will to a degree
lessen their performance.

Post #188270123rd Nov 2017 9:58 am
Gazellio

My understanding and research is that they are designed to be used "With or without" studs. They are a very effective winter tyre without the studs in both tests and my experience of them as fitted to my wife's D3. The compound, tread pattern, sypes, performance and even the look are all top drawer. Thumbs Up

High Traction Tread Design. The intricate tread pattern balances winter traction and a smooth, quiet ride. The deep lateral and notched circumferential grooves provide excellent evacuation of water and slush from the tread contact patch.

Patented "Snow Groove" Design Technology. Provides biting edges for excellent snow and ice traction without reducing tread element stiffness. The snow groove enhances the retention of snow in the outer circumferential grooves to capitalize on the higher traction characteristics of "snow on snow" versus "snow on rubber".

"D Squared" Sipe Technology (Density x Depth). Incorporates a dense zig-zag sipe pattern that further enhances winter performance while maintaining excellent wet traction. Variable sipe depth maintains element stability while optimizing winter performance.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #188270323rd Nov 2017 10:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gazellio

Plus you can have a pack of studs in the car just in case the conditions get horrible or sheet ice is an issue bit lighter than chains... Smile

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qiilu-Anti-Slip-S...tyre+studs

Click image to enlarge

Post #188270523rd Nov 2017 10:11 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Gazellio @ Prestige Cars wrote:
Yes good in fresh snow but not really a winter tyre.

According to who? You?

Because Michelin state:

Tyres with "M+S" markings on the sidewalls are Snow tyres on a pure regulation point of view. Nevertheless, as this marking is not associated to any mandatory performance test, there is no performance guarantee associated with “M+S” marked tyres.

On the contrary, 3PMSF (3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake) marked tyres are winter tyres that have been approved through a regulation test to guarantee the right level of performance under winter condition. Michelin recommends using 3PMSF marked tyres as winter tyres during the winter season

So yes, if the General AT3 carries the marking then it is, really, a winter tyre.

Post #188270823rd Nov 2017 10:21 am
Gazellio

Yes I agree they do seem to have sipes although not the density of a normal winter tyre.

I missed the fact that they have a Three Peaks Snowflake so my error.

Could be a good "All round" choice Thumbs Up

The new Grabber AT3

For the new Grabber AT3 the engineers at General Tire have also developed no fewer than three new technologies that endow their latest arrival with high grip both on- and off-road, enhanced acoustic performance, and high mileage. “TracGen” technology, for example, includes an open shoulder design, traction ridges, what the developers call “traction pockets”, and sipes arranged at different angles. This combination of design features boosts the self-cleaning properties of the tread, permits good interlocking with loose surfaces and provides a large number of edges to deliver grip in every direction. The second technology from the developers’ bag of tricks is called “DuraGen” and its job is to boost mileage in rough terrain and under high torsion – i.e. when side loads are applied to part of the tread. This meant developing a new tire compound that provides excellent chip and cut resistance. In addition, stone bumpers protect the tread base, helping to ensure that stones don’t get stuck in the tread and damage the tire. And extremely strong steel belts help the tire to deliver high mileage. The third technology, known as “ComfortBalance” demonstrates the developers’ success in overcoming the conflicting interests of ride comfort on asphalt and good off-road grip. The balanced block geometry of the tread with low stiffness and the specially modified arrangement of the blocks in the center of the tread reduce vibration in the tire, which makes for good ride comfort on the road, while also providing an even footprint. On wet and dry asphalt, the new Grabber AT3 performs at the same high level as its predecessor, while traction on snow has been substantially improved. In off-road use, grip in mud and on wet grass has been improved, and the tire presents higher resistance to tread damage than its predecessor. In the coming fall, General Tire will initially be producing 44 metric sizes for rims between 15 and 20 inches, with an additional 20 LT and C sizes to follow in the spring of 2017. These tires are approved for speeds of up to 240 km/h. As an all-season tire, the Grabber AT3 bears the M+S mark and the snowflake symbol to document its safe handling characteristics on snow-covered roads.

Click image to enlarge

Post #188271023rd Nov 2017 10:26 am
Gazellio

They look good too so great all year tyre might get a set for my car... Laughing

Post #188271523rd Nov 2017 10:34 am
J@mes

I have the duratracs on my Amarok, and while not looking as "winter" as some winter tyres, they do carry the symbol and have been faultless in the ski resorts. I haven't had to use 4x4 yet, despite some pretty steep slopes up to our apartment. They've also been great for towing our caravan, commuting to work, green laning, out shooting or whatever.

I think you're right in that these AT3's will be a great all round tyre for those who can afford to compromise in all areas - otherwise the majority of us would end up with 3 or 4 sets of wheels/tyres Laughing

I also think you may struggle to find many manufacturers who will commit to ice grip without studs -

Michelin Alpin 5:

The innovative tread compound technology

The innovative tread compound technology used in MICHELIN Alpin 5 optimises tyre performance in low temperatures, ensures better grip on wet and snowy surfaces, still keeping a good level of energy efficiency.

Nokian WR4:

The centre area is dominated by a sturdy longitudinal rib consisting of tread blocks with jagged sipes that resemble the footprints of a centipede. The staggered 3-dimensional Centipede Siping offers maximum contact surface and works with full effect at different turning angles, increasing grip on snow and slush and improving control.

Pirelli Ice & Snow:

Designed for winter use, this tyre stands out for the excellent handling and supreme driving comfort it provides. When driven on road it ensures excellent grip and low noise levels at low temperatures, even through water or on snow. Characterised by an elegant tread pattern with an asymmetric design, the wide longitudinal grooves and angled tread blocks ensure the most demanding driver remains in full control, even in the most difficult weather conditions. Safety, comfort and looks combine to make SCORPION™ ICE & SNOW a tyre that will enhance a vehicle, making it ideal for even the most aggressive style conversions

Very Happy

Post #188273023rd Nov 2017 11:06 am
J@mes

I know you're gonna come back with a great big list of tyres with great grip on ice Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #188273123rd Nov 2017 11:11 am
MOD500

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Just fitted set of 255/55/19 Goodyear Ultra Grip SUV gen 1 to (new to me) D4, seen very good so far in cold wet conditions, no snow or ice to test as yet. Got them as rated highly in rain, quiet at 70db, and fuel efficient so the EU ratings imply. Must say are v quiet and feels very planted trucking along spiritedly on mway. Think the gen 1 model has only been out 1 year or so (?), so hopefully latest tyre tech, plus is updated version of LR recommended winters for 19inch.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m104b0s2058p145...se%3A_70dB

Post #188274023rd Nov 2017 11:24 am
Gazellio

I don't think tyres cannot be designed to grip sheet ice without studs so it a very small list: Wink

Post #188277123rd Nov 2017 12:42 pm
enb54

Canada 2007 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

I just bought and had installed 4 new Motomaster (Canadian Tire) Winter Edge 235/65R 18 for my 2007 LR3 SE and they are terrific. There must have been a problem with my former (too small) 225/60R 18 Hankooks because now the machine tracks perfectly and does not feel like the suspension is coming apart. Paid $965 CDN for install and balancing, tires feel great and now my speedometer is accurate!
 1967 Ford Bronco 289 V8 (1968)
1974 Toyota FJ55 3.9L I6 (1975)
1984 Chev K5 Blazer Camper 400 V8 (1989)
2006 Nissan X-Trail Bonaventure 2.5L I4 (2007)
2007 Land Rover LR3 4.0L V6 (2019) 

Post #210176925th Nov 2019 2:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >