Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Landrover extended warranty or not on Disco 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
kz

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
Landrover extended warranty or not on Disco 4

My Disco 4 is coming up to the end of its 3 year warranty.
Its like weeks away.

No major problems with it, but I have only done 40,000 kms so far.

The choice -
1. Buy extended warranty $3,800 (for 2 years)
2. Trade in and swap (dont know cost yet)
3. Take the risk
4. ?

Anyone got suggestions?

Post #137158311th Nov 2014 12:03 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Its personal choice, I do low mileage and kept mine but like to sleep at night so took the extended warranty by a third party, which was better than LR's in my opinion as it included wear and tear.

If things do go wrong they can be expensive, there is an awful lot of experience and fine people around the UK that have the skills to keep the vehicles going but parts are not cheap, not sure about where you are.

I'm waiting to see what the new model is like Thumbs Up

Post #137159011th Nov 2014 12:06 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

I'm going to be in a similar situation next year, in April. I need to decide whether to take out an extended warranty (which after research will currently be a third party one like DT above) or ringfence £1k a year in a little internet savings account.

I'm not a gambling man, but the temptation of cashing in a few grand against my next D4 if I don't use it is very tempting. Then again, if the engine goes bang Shocked

Hard to choose isn't it. But my answer to your question would be; if you're happy with the car, no obvious problems then when feel the need to change - do get an extended warranty and then you've got the best of all worlds?
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #137161411th Nov 2014 12:42 pm
Discotres

As I say I like sleeping at night, put a price on that Wink

Not everyone is unlucky but some are, sorry but I have never been known to be lucky so just offset the warranty cost as part of my motoring, at least there are no sleepless nights or worrying at the slightest knock, for me its worth it, for some it could be a nightmare http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic120000.html

Post #137161711th Nov 2014 12:50 pm
Sheepy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I debated with myself for a bit, then after seeing the fun (and expense to LR) of having to replace the module in the car that talks to the keys, I electedfor a warranty offered by the dealership I use - yes it ties me to them for servicing, but the warranty was cheaper than LR and includes recovery. In just over a year they're paid out (without quibble or any excess) for replacing several door locks. Not the most expensive fix, but still one I didn't have to stump up for.

As DT says, you can sleep easier at night Smile

Post #137162711th Nov 2014 1:30 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I went the third party WarrantyDirect route with my D3 and thought they were dreadful, wriggling and squirming at the first problem (suspension compressor) and sent me to their local approved GRG who wouldn't touch it. Took weeks to get it sorted and eventually moved over to Tescos who were excellent but bowed out of warranties the following year. I then went without and sourced parts via the forum (TLO) and the bay of E. Worked out cheaper than a warranty and I intend to do the same going forward. I have been running with AA with their recovery and repair set up which covers me and my three kids for breakdown recovery and the first £500 of any repair. It costs us £44/month which is £11 each and gives me peace of mind and the knowledge that I'm not getting up at sparrow*art to go and sort their woes.
Thumbs Up
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #137173411th Nov 2014 6:09 pm
Discotres

Well I have been with my main dealer from new and everything is done by them with Warranty Direct, I have main dealer rates in my Luxury Care plan so no idea what cover you had. As I said my cover is Luxury Care, if you read the policy and stick to the rules there is absolutely no problem, if you are using this and that garage then I have no idea, but to claim they are Censored can only be in the circumstances you were in, never been an issue with myself or numerous other people Wink

Post #137175111th Nov 2014 6:54 pm
Redback

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

We cancelled our extended warranty, our nearest dealers are Censored and Land Rover Australia are even bigger Censored , being treated like Censored tends to make you angry Twisted Evil

Because of the way we have been treated, this is our last Land Rover Cactus

Baz.
 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 2.7l
Redback Country Camper Trailer
1973 Kawasaki H2 750 Triple
2002 TTR250 Yamaha
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand truly by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.
Peter Lalor 

Post #137188911th Nov 2014 10:06 pm
sj9011

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Some are the same in UK!!!

Post #137203012th Nov 2014 9:07 am
fisherman

Wales 

I complained to WD customer service dept and ended up talking to a senior manager who did eventually put everything right. It was the attitude of the guy taking the claim details and his demeanor which urked me. He focused entirely on things that I may get wrong and just rubbed me up the wrong way. I also had the main dealer package but he sent me to the local GRG for them to check the car over first for some reason. After a week or two of being pulled from pillar to post I bypassed him and complained. Eventually they agreed they had screwed up and sorted it as they should have from the start. After that I wasn't happy to renew with them and find the AA deal far more advantageous considering it also covers my three kids. When you take the first £500 off a repair and consider they are happy for me to source the parts (TLO/eBum etc) and sort repairs through my local Indy I got most things sorted quickly and it cost me only the £30 excess.
Like a new battery and an alternator for instance. Main dealer quoted £800 for the alternator and I got it done with fitting instructions from here and an exchange unit from TLO all in for £355. Just suits me better, it may not work for you. Thumbs Up
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!

Post #137204512th Nov 2014 9:54 am
Discotres

Just out of interest did you have Luxury Care cover that covers almost everything except some named parts or the lower level of cover?

The reason I ask is that I have Luxury Care and got it because of the high level of cover, I knew that the lower level was going to be shall we say a little more open to opinions.

What I see on these warranty threads is that people don't state what level of cover they had and that in itself is very misleading as it is a vital element of what is covered.

Post #137205012th Nov 2014 10:09 am
kz

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks everyone for your contributions.
All have been read and taken into consideration.

I'm still out about what I will do.
I will be getting a trade in quote tomorrow, so this may or may not skew things in favour.
What is a brand new Disco worth per year? i.e. How much is acceptable to lose each year to stay current.

If I dont trade up, I will take out the coverage for the sleep easy at night feeling.

I have had various quotes from the underwriter and LR direct. LR is competitive with the other quotes I have received.

Btw, LR is considered high risk according to one of the sales people. Surprise Surprise

Post #137207112th Nov 2014 10:43 am
fisherman

Wales 

When I took my cover out it covered the suspension compressor at dealer rates. That's all I cared about when claiming. I was then told they hadn't received copies of my MOT which was emailed with the service record. It showed as sent and I had a read receipt. The guy had me jumping through all kinds of hoops for almost two weeks before I lost patience. I thought I'd paid the top rate for cover as it was only marginally cheaper than LR at the time. It was the service aspect that I reacted to and wouldn't normally put up with anything like what this claim guy had me doing.
Water under the bridge now and very happy with what I have now. My D4 has LR cover until 4/2015 and then I'll continue with the AA. Thumbs Up

Post #137207712th Nov 2014 10:55 am
Discotres

What level of cover did you have? from what you are saying you had no clue other than suspension, nor indeed what items the level of cover did or did not include Rolling Eyes

As for MOT and service record, my main dealer deals with all of that with Warranty Direct, the benefits of using the main dealer Thumbs Up

Post #137207912th Nov 2014 10:59 am
fisherman

Wales 

I can't remember what I had on my D3 nearly 5 years ago but it was about £900 for the year and dealer rates were included. I don't remember there being any choice other than main dealer parts and labour or Indy rates at 2/3 of the cost. The car has gone now with all it's paperwork so I can't tell you the details.
It wasn't a cost issue for either me or them, it was some Censored on the other end of the phone pulling my chain. But hey, I'm over it now! Well I was!! Rolling Eyes

Post #137208412th Nov 2014 11:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >