DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Laptop diagnostic software?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Puncture

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Laptop diagnostic software?

Hi all,

I’m trying to familiarise myself with all the diagnostic options out there; the preferred tool for reading / resetting and tinkering seems to be around the £400-£450 mark

However, there seems to be loads of OBDii to USB cables on eBay so I figured there must be software available for a laptop or Macbook to allow one to dabble? - It surely can’t all be re-branded and re-flashed generic OBD Bluetooth things can it? A lot of the things I’ve seen look no different to my own bog-standard code reader or some of other BT OBDii scanner things I’ve seen for under a tenner; I’m guessing it’s just the software so can’t that just be run on a laptop?

Regards, Sam

Post #203163924th Feb 2019 11:22 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

When it comes to diagnostics, you truly do get exactly what you pay for
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #203165525th Feb 2019 12:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Puncture

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Ok, so does software exist for a laptop? - I had a chap come round to buy my BMW who plugged his laptop into the OBDii port to check for errors; I assumed similar software exists for LR?
Many of these pricey OBDii gadgets seem to have been re-branded at point of retail depending on their market. As such, I figured it was just the software they’re loaded with to be the variable; software which I thought would be able to be run on other devices?

Sam

Post #203165625th Feb 2019 12:32 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would bet the bmw guy had a copy diag kit from the net, same for merc and vcds for any vag motor, ie makers that have a huge following and people prepared to pay for aftermarket diagnostics.

Ive used truck makers kit and its simply awesome, it can pinpoint the issue down to a wire number, the copy kit that says it does the same job is literally utter pants and is so vague to be useless.

Most of the cheap if not all universal obd readers will read engine codes only.

Post #203166125th Feb 2019 1:24 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Puncture wrote:
Ok, so does software exist for a laptop? - I had a chap come round to buy my BMW who plugged his laptop into the OBDii port to check for errors; I assumed similar software exists for LR?
Many of these pricey OBDii gadgets seem to have been re-branded at point of retail depending on their market. As such, I figured it was just the software they’re loaded with to be the variable; software which I thought would be able to be run on other devices?

Sam

AFAIK, SDD and BBS were the only LR specific diagnostic programmes that can be run on a laptop, and neither were "cheap"

The generic OBD2 boxes are all copies of each other, and will only read generic emissions related codes

Tools like the IID Tool are much more advanced than these, hence the difference in price
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #203167025th Feb 2019 7:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cibertrans

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I have just bought a Discovery D3 and love it. Trying to get diagnostics device. I noticed your thread, did you ever find an answer to the "is there a laptop connection?" divice. I found one, called a 4DCan that is set out on a Laptop. But I don't know how good is is. HAS ANYONE TRIED IT

or better question, what is the best type available? ie iLand (connects to phone via Bluetooth) or iCarsoft or 4Dcan or what have you found?

Post #20746379th Aug 2019 2:35 am
Sea Raider

Search

IID BT

and all will be revealed

Post #20746499th Aug 2019 7:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >