Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

LapTop and Touch Screen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Caver,
Be aware that both ken's and Gareth's setups would be ILLEGAL AND extremely unsafe in Australia due to not allowing the passenger airbag to inflate without obstruction (remember that in Oz we can't turn off the passenger side airbag)!
A good solution is what Ian has.
What GPS, laptop, carPC are you looking at?

I, thanks to Santa, am also looking at a CarPC/UMPC and having read Ian's setup it sounds the 'Bee's knees'!!

Ian, any advice? Any hints or tips or could have done this better advice? Any suggion as to software or hardware suppliers?
 regards
Peter

Post #23780628th Dec 2007 4:54 am
BCP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Has anyone bought one of these ? http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=126124

Available with XP Pro and tablet. This is the run out model nut looks like it would fulfil the car PC role.

BCP

Post #23784028th Dec 2007 10:57 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

pbhawkin wrote:
Caver,
Be aware that both ken's and Gareth's setups would be ILLEGAL AND extremely unsafe in Australia due to not allowing the passenger airbag to inflate without obstruction (remember that in Oz we can't turn off the passenger side airbag)!

I was more worried about where the sceen would end up if the bag went off! Shocked
That is why I am looking at a 7" screen in the middle.
I am going to pre-wire now with a USB, an audio and VGA cable from the back to the front. Will get the screen in the new year.

pbhawkin wrote:
Ian, any advice? Any hints or tips or could have done this better advice? Any suggion as to software or hardware suppliers?

Looking at this:
http://store.mp3car.com/Xenarc_700IDT_In_D...on-017.htm
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #23809729th Dec 2007 12:04 am
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I sent the following message to Peter (pbhawkin):

The Asus R2H has an 80 gb HDD, centrino M 1ghz processor and runs Vista business. It came in kit from Friction PC Market and included external DVD, keyboard, mouse, carry bag, external GPS, incar charger/adaptor for $1699.

RAM holder and Standard arm diamond plate set from Johnny Appleseed.

Trackranger (I prefered over Ozi-explorer) from Advantech Design.

Copilot live laptop 10 and Natmap raster premium from GPSOZ.

The install of the holder was easy and involved drilling 4 holes in side of central area of dash - the asus fits nicely and is easy to read/use. Removed centre surrond and drilled holes with right angle drill adaptor

I have also run a connection (via male/female connector in dash - cut hole in other side of central area and fitted thin plastic panel which holds the connectors for sound and power) to the Aux outlet of the radio in the passenger side footwell - plays the music from the asus via the sound system in car. Haven't tested the copilot voice output yet.

Will put the incar adaptor behind the dash and wire up to plug into asus via male/female adaptor - probably need help from auto electrician.

Origami is a Microsoft program which can be used instead of the desktop to run programs (easy to set up GPS, open mapping programs adjust screen resolution) as well as music, photos etc

I took the following photos today

[/img]
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #2400504th Jan 2008 6:33 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

That's a nice bit of kit Ian and well done too , regs , DW

Post #2400784th Jan 2008 10:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zebadee

Ireland 

Have a look at Christyler's Car PC install Bow down

Read here....

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic4127.html?highlight=

..... & have a look in his gallery for some excellent pics of the job in progress Thumbs Up

Post #2401024th Jan 2008 11:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >