Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

LapTop and Touch Screen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
LapTop and Touch Screen

I am thinking of creating an in car PC by sticking a laptop in the back and contrling it via a touch screen in the front.
In theory possible but what would be required?
USB connection and a VGA sreen?
What are the options?
thanks guys
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #23311812th Dec 2007 7:24 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I've done this, using a Lilliput 7inch lcd touch screen. The laptop is configured to operate with the lid closed, and goes in the map pocket behind the passenger seat.

Click image to enlarge

Post #23312312th Dec 2007 8:02 am
caverD3

Thanks Gareth
Looks good.
Would probably use a smaller screen.
What are the requirements fot the touch screen?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #23312412th Dec 2007 8:06 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I would use a bigger screen if you want to read it! I struggle with the 7" even with the resolution at the minimum 800x600. The software is Memory Map, and is designed to be read on normal size monitors. If your software is custom written, then use BIG buttons!

The only operating requirement is a accessory socket for power. I wedge mine onto the shelf with the glovebox lid.

Post #23312612th Dec 2007 8:13 am
Ken

There you go a bigger screen

Post #23313512th Dec 2007 9:14 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

this is wher DG's bamboo comes in handy again to operate the touch screen from the drivers side Laughing
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #23315712th Dec 2007 10:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

SPOTTER wrote:
this is wher DG's bamboo comes in handy again to operate the touch screen from the drivers side Laughing

Rolling with laughter

It is a long way from the driver by the looks of it.

I am using a Garmin PDA with a very small screen (3")

Click image to enlarge

it is ok, so a slightly bigger one that would fit in the cubby would be good enough for me but I wanted the multiple functionality of a PC: larger music collection, moving maps, videos for SWMBO etc.
If I need the bigger sreen I can grab the laptop from the back.

Speaking of moving maps, I have been told that Vista does not have a driver for moving maps and does not intend to produce one. Is this so?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #23318412th Dec 2007 11:30 am
DarrenG

United Kingdom 

caverD3 wrote:
Speaking of moving maps, I have been told that Vista does not have a driver for moving maps and does not intend to produce one. Is this so?

No such thing as a 'driver' fro moving maps. Memory-Map runs perfectly on my Vista UMPC.
 Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com 

Post #23318612th Dec 2007 11:32 am
caverD3

I was thinking of ones for a handheld GPS.
I use oziexplorer and don't know if it willl work with vista.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #23319512th Dec 2007 11:52 am
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I have an ASUS R2H - a UMPC with 80gb HDD, 7" LCD screen with built in GPS. It has an external DDV drive. The operating system is Vista with Microsoft Origami.

It is mounted on RAM mount and sits between the two central air vents - in front of space where the OE nav screen would be.

I don't have any photos. However, it is really easy to see and use.

I run both Trackranger (with Natmap Raster premium and various Hema maps) and also Co-pilot Live 10 for laptops (not at same time - GPS works fine when switching from program to program).

Have only just installed the mount and done a couple of test runs - seems to work fine.

I have also loaded about 50 CDs onto the disc - the next step is to rig up in-car power adaptor directly to the back of the cigarett/aux outlet and the headphone outlet to the Aux radio connector in the left side footwell.
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #23352913th Dec 2007 3:29 am
caverD3

Just found this.
Trying to find dimensions.
The idea is good but trying to find the right monitor with good res.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #23353113th Dec 2007 5:38 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

IanR,
I've also gone for the ASUS R2H.
It was an absolute pain getting the GPS working correctly, but now seems ok.
Running Memory-Map on it.

Now about to install in car. I'd found the RAM cradle for R2H, but not yet worked out which other parts are needed to install it.

Any clues - eg which mounting brackets?

I need to install somewhere other than top centre, as I have the factory fit nav screen

Cheers

Dave.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #23426114th Dec 2007 10:50 pm
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

DaveT

When using the ASUS in-car I use the external GPS antenna which came in the kit. This plugs into the flipout antenna and dramatically improves reception.

Before starting a mapping program I go to the Origami Programs/GPS screen and run GPS_switch which enables gsc3f.GPS.

I run 'Trackranger' on 800x480 resolution and Co-pilot live on 800x600 resolution - change with bottom/right button on the front panel of ASUS. I set properties of the programs to run 'maximized' (To view these windows screens properly it is best to first change resolution to 1024x600)

The holder is attached to the passengers side of the central void (where OE nav screen situated) with the Ram 'Standard Arm Diamond Plate' set (Diamond end to the Asus holder). These arms come in short,stantard,long,......

Perhaps you could attach the arm to dash above the drivers side central air vent or to the side of the instrument binnacle?????

I will have a look on Monday when the Disco is next sitting st home
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #23426714th Dec 2007 11:30 pm
caverD3

caverD3 wrote:
Just found this.
Trying to find dimensions.
The idea is good but trying to find the right monitor with good res.

Oops! Embarassed

Forgot the link:
http://www.hboutlet.com.au/catalog/product..._id=177550

Size: L:18cm, W:18cm, H:5.5cm

So it will slot exactly into the sat nave hole in mine.
It will stick out though so I will nee to cover the chassis.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #23427815th Dec 2007 12:00 am
anoble

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

in the new year i am thinking about buying a barebone system from linITX.com, and running Centrafuse (http://www.fluxmedia.net) sofware to control GPS, camera, TV, phone etc. Anyone that has done an intall before and can share any tips would be great!

Post #23466816th Dec 2007 10:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >