DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Last challenge of the Discovery:convince those who criticise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Bello35 wrote:
....I don't have anything to add to the D4 that you all don't already know.... i haven't had a single problem with it apart from knicked injectors, caused by bad diesel in Spain....

you do not have enough with the D5 that now you have to get yourself against the diesel of the Spaniards ?? Shocked Laughing Laughing
...according to you all those who have had problems with the injectors in their D3 / 4 have traveled to Spain ever ?? it's possible Whistle Laughing Laughing

I think you're full of obsessions, first the D5 and now the Spanish diesel !! and....I think that you are coming on holiday here and instead of spending yours euros in the country, prefers to save on cheap vacations for poors and, apart of food and mineral water, prefer to buy cheap diesel in stations of the Correfour or Alcampo...... that casually.... are French!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
 lost in translation!  
Post #186230827th Sep 2017 1:52 pm
Grianaig

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Totally agree about D4 replacement. I expected to replace my D4 with a D5 in the normal run of things after about forty six years of continuous LR ownership. There have been problems with some along the way but nothing that would have made me change brands. Now I am in a quandary. I have read with interest the pros and cons of the D5 expressed by various forum members, both D5 and D4 owners. I have appreciated comments by D5 owners including those who have had problems. The experience of J77 has been especially useful as we seem to share an interest in middle of the range models without all the bells and whistles. I personally feel that the reliability of the current electronic systems is too flaky. Too much that can go wrong.
I don't find anything of interest in the Volvo range so will probably hang on to my low mileage D4 and hope that the new Defender will fill the requirement. Or the D5 will eventually win me over by some subtle Whistle changes.
 2014 MY Discovery XS Indus Silver. Sadly gone. Second last LR of forty eight years continuous ownership.  
Post #186231227th Sep 2017 2:15 pm
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

+1
 D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #186242827th Sep 2017 7:30 pm
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

at the end of the day, you cant polish a turd.

Post #186292728th Sep 2017 11:18 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The only thing holding me back from getting a D5 as my company car is the lower output 3.0d engine. I have driven one for quite a distance and was hard pressed to notice any difference in 'day-to-day' usage over the 300bhp 3.0d in my, then, F-PACE but I wonder if the difference would be noted in every day 'ownership'.

However I now have the supercharged 3.0 petrol F-Pace and my next car is in the order bank for a 4.4d V8 RRS so I am swaying a little. If they did the 300bhp in D5 I'd have a D5 over the 3.0d F-PACE and 3.0d RRS

The overall aspect of the D5 I think is great, I dislike the rear end number plate issue (and will be fitting a two-line plate if I do get one) but I really liked the interior and most other things (I listed a number of small 'design' type issues I noticed when driving various 2.0d and 3.0d versions in another thread).

Won't have to decide for another 5-6 months so will keep looking at all options till then Thumbs Up

Post #18639822nd Oct 2017 12:55 pm
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I’ve done a points-based spreadsheet for my next car and have looked at the FFRR, RRS, D5, DS, XC90 and Q7. I’ve included mpg, seat length and comfort, off road ability, looks, boot size, technology, speed and acceleration, length, width and height, and have included a section on different driving scenarios: town, country, long distance motorway, family. Sorry to say but I’m not going to share this as these are my own views (except of course for figures such as mpg, acceleration and so forth, where I have used “real mpgs” where possible).

However, every time it is the D5 that comes out on top (closely followed by the XC90), despite the D5 getting the lowest marks on looks and a very low score on the 2nd row seats (again this is IMHO). The thing is the D5 remains appealing because out of the cars I listed above it is still the most practical and the best off road. I love my D4 and don’t want to change it until I really have to. But when I do, the D5 will certainly be on the shortlist. And if I squint when looking at its rear, we should be ok.

Post #18639872nd Oct 2017 1:16 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

A very similar list of cars that I checked out and although not 100% sold on the looks, especially the rear, I went for the D5.

Once you are sat in it and driving then the other possible options faded away for me.

Post #18639992nd Oct 2017 2:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >