Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Leaking diesel and smoke... help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Leaking diesel and smoke... help!

Hi Folks,
I just went for a lively run of about 60km through hills around Wyangala Dam in NSW, and the truck went well. Pulled into my brother-in-law's driveway and it was idling rough and then smoke started coming out from under the bonnet. I lifted the bonnet and it was diesel smoke, so put it in reverse and put foot on the accelerator - nothing! No response to throttle. Eventually, it had enough momentum to idle out of the driveway, leaving a trail of diesel from the passenger side of the motor - about half way down. It is dark and I can't see exactly where it is coming from. Parked it out in the paddock. I am about 4 hours drive from the closest LR dealer.

It went in for 12,000km service last Wednesday. There was a tappet sound coming on acceleration - but it was not in synch with engine revs. This was not fixed during service and not sure if it is related.

Any suggestions? I am about to ring LR Assistance - I assume they will sent closest roadside assistance rep to me.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Cheers,
Rob

Post #1462908th Apr 2007 9:38 am
jonesy63

Update

OK... rang LR Assistance and they sent NRMA (roadside assistance) to look at the problem. He came, he saw... ruptured fuel line - dripping/pouring diesel onto turbocharger! NRMA can't repair it - so LR Assistance say "It has to get towed to nearest dealer."

Nearest dealer is at Dubbo - about 2.5 hours further away from Sydney. That is about 1 hour closer than dealers in western Sydney. We were meant to be heading home tomorrow to southern Sydney. So, for the sake of them saving 1 hour of towing, it will inconvenience my family, two kids missing work shifts, force me to take leave from work, and accommodation at Dubbo - until it is repaired. Evil or Very Mad

Not happy... what the heck is the deal with a fuel line rupturing anyway? Not happy...

Post #1462958th Apr 2007 11:37 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Shocked
Confused
Why wouldn't they tow it to your dealer?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1463008th Apr 2007 1:15 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear your troubles Rob... but things can break at times.

Check your cover with LRA - they may well provide for accommodation, travel expenses or a loan vehicle.

Heard of D3's over here being taken by LRA, a loan D3 provided and then the broken but now repaired D3 being returned.

They are pretty good in the UK but your kilometreage may vary down there.

Post #1463018th Apr 2007 1:17 pm
caverD3

Insist on a loaner.
Then drive home and sort later.
You will be at an advantage as you have the loaner
They won't be looking it at all till Tuesday. Then they may need a part, which will take how long to arrrive.
I don't think runnning the injectors dry will help.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1463028th Apr 2007 1:40 pm
catweasel

from the website

Land Rover wrote:
Metropolitan Areas
To the driver's preferred authorised Land Rover Dealer or alternative location within a distance of up to 50
kilometres

Country Areas
To the closest authorised Land Rover dealer to the breakdown site. A towing destination can only be
determined on an individual case basis in country areas. Where the vehicle is unable to be mobilised at
roadside or the servicing facility, the vehicle will be transported to the closed authorised Land Rover dealer. If
the Driver elects to tow the vehicle to an alternative location a tow will be provided for a tow within the local
service facility town area.
if the closest dealer is in the city then they should be taking it to your dealer. be firm

or if they cannot do the above.
Land Rover wrote:
Vehicle Relocation
Where the eligible vehicle has been towed to a Land Rover dealer and where the required repairs have been
completed by the Land Rover dealer, Land Rover Roadside Assistance will arrange for the eligible vehicle to be
relocated to any location nationally up to the value of $1,000.00 (including GST) per annum at the request of the
Driver. Any additional towing requirements will be at the expense of the Driver.

Accommodation
Accommodation will be provided for up to three nights to a maximum value of $120.00 (including GST) per night if
the vehicle can be locally repaired within less than three days.
Car Rental
A rental car will be provided either;
1. in conjunction with accommodation for up to three days if the eligible vehicle can be locally repaired
within less than three days; or
2. to continue the journey for up to five days

Post #1463058th Apr 2007 2:10 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

thx CW... thought it was something along those lines Smile

Post #1463078th Apr 2007 2:31 pm
300+

Point out the costs they will be liable for to take you the wrong way. And if they still object pay the difference to be towed from your own pocket!

Steve

Post #1463098th Apr 2007 3:02 pm
jonesy63

Update # 2

I rang LR Roadside Assistance again today to find out about towing. They cannot authorise any changes to policy provided by Land Rover. They actually sounded like another part of NRMA Roadside Assistance.

So, the outcome is: I stay put until tomorrow and wait for Land Rover Customer Care to arrive at work at 8:30am... then tell them the saga and hope they approve towing the extra hour to Sydney.

Best case scenario: LRCC figure out it is cheaper overall to tow to Sydney (no accommodation, less towing) and then I just get a hire car and head back to Sydney. Once I get back to Sydney, the dealer sales manager has already told me they have loaner cars to give me - so they will not need to hire the car to me for longer than getting home.

Post #1463419th Apr 2007 1:17 am
caverD3

When I have rung LRA it has been NRMA who attended.
Hope it gets sorted
good luck Rob Very Happy
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #1463429th Apr 2007 1:31 am
jonesy63

Update # 3

The D3 has now been towed back to the NRMA depot. Apparently it was meant to happen last night after the fault - but there were no flat-beds trucks available with sufficient towing capacity at the time.

CaverD3 - thanks.

Others - thanks for suggestions and well wishes.

It is 206km to Dubbo from here and my dealer is 280km away... waiting until tomorrow morning to find out if common sense will prevail.

This is a MY07 TDV6 - so it could be a new fault... time will tell.

P.S. The CD-400 base stereo died last week, and was replaced when it had the 12,000km service. I have read of several of these radios failing.

Evil or Very Mad

Post #1463489th Apr 2007 6:17 am
caverD3

Re: Update # 3

jonesy63 wrote:
P.S. The CD-400 base stereo died last week, and was replaced when it had the 12,000km service. I have read of several of these radios failing.

Evil or Very Mad

Mine failed and was replaced (before aftermarket speakers) and the audio module also failed (loud static pop) Shocked
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #1463499th Apr 2007 6:34 am
jonesy63

Update # 4

Hi Folks,
I made it home last night in a rental car and the D3 was towed to the dealer this afternoon. I paid for rental car myself and will write a nastygram to LR Australia. The tow truck driver (top bloke!) has a Thrifty car rental car and was able to tow it back to Cowra - and never charged me for relocation fee.

Got a P38 loaner - what a sad beast... 200,000km on the clock and the 4L motor is gutless.

Now waiting for car to be repaired.
Cheers.

Post #14700411th Apr 2007 8:02 am
caverD3

Glad you got home. Smile
So now at Cowra dealership? or yours.
Let us know how you get on getting reimbursed for the car.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #14701111th Apr 2007 8:35 am
catweasel

along with your nastygram, include the cost of the hire vehicle as it is (on their website) their responsibility to provide you a rental, no if's and's or but's.

Post #14701211th Apr 2007 8:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >