Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Leaking Sun Roof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Andy2484

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Leaking Sun Roof

I have recently purchased a 2006 Disco 3 HSE (now regretting). I have already fixed the rear tail-gate latch, the sticking fuel flap actuator and the faulty front parking sensors (only had the car 2 months).

The latest fault is a leak from the sun roof, dripping down and soaking the drivers foot-well. I thought it would be a simple blocked drain tube and peeled back the headliner to remove the tube. On blowing through it however, all was well. This led me onto trickling water into the sunroof guide and witnessing a flood of water that appears to be coming out of the casing approximately 4 cm's behind the drain tube entrance. Looks like I am going to have to drop the whole roof liner to go on a crack hunt with a silicone gun. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, was the fault hard to locate?

I have to say that I am dissapointed with the disco and will be putting it on Auotrader should anything else goes wrong. I sold a Jaguar S Type diesel recently and it had not so much as a rattle after 6 years. It seems Solihull cannot produce a quality vehicle. Rant over.
 Andy B.  
Post #67200114th Jul 2010 10:05 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Depends on how much water you are testing the tray with. TBH a trickle is all you need, anymore and it will overflow. Blowing down the tube doesn't always solve the prob, I used 2mtrs of net curtain wire (White plastic coated) and gave mine a good rodding.

Ontop of this remove the side air vent on the wing, remove the sponge liner and this will expose the other end of the tube, it has a cross shaped valve, cut that off/open to stop blockage or closing and it allows free flow from sunroof to Tarmac.

To do the same passenger side it's the wheel arch liner out, problem will solve itself

Post #67207815th Jul 2010 7:27 am
Andy2484

Thanks for the reply. The passenger tube is not causing an issue. The drivers tube is definitely clear as if I pour water along the front of the sunroof, it pours out of the drain tube (I exposed the end by removing the grille) As soon as the water trickles down the drivers side of the sunroof it leaks through the sunroof casing. Definitely not a tube issue. Silicone gun at the ready. Failing that, I will just silicone the roof closed and call it quits.
 Andy B.  
Post #67208015th Jul 2010 7:33 am
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Andy

It does sound like an issue with the actual sunroof rather than the drain tubes, i recently pulled out the head lining of my D3 to find a leak, i found the rear drain tubes heading up hill above the drip tray, a kink in one of the tubes that wouldn't let any waqter past, and the front tubes hardly connected. I was quite shocked by the amount of water that passes the rubber seal into the drip tray.

Have a look in my gallery for pics of the sunroof without the head lining and problem areas that i found.

If you do drop the head lining there are 2 electical connectors (front drivers,rear passenger) for all the components in the head lining, so you do not need the remove these.

hope it helps

Lee

Post #67224615th Jul 2010 12:50 pm
Andy2484

Thanks for that Lee. I will certainly look out for the rear tube issues when I drop the liner out later today. It is useful to know where the electrics hook up to also, cheers. Yes, as you say, it does look like I have a crack in the casing although I am hoping that with increased visibility and a good tube of silicone that I will be able to seal it without the expense of a new surround.

I am driving to the French Alps next week and it would be useful to know that the rain is not going to invade the car. Saying that, I will be taking a good quality role of tape to seal the roof just in case. I am surprised that Land Rover don't include a role of tape in the jack space, as it seems that every owner will need one at some stage!
 Andy B.  
Post #67225915th Jul 2010 1:03 pm
Andy2484

Leak Fixed (I Think)

I think I have located the source of the leak. Having removed the headliner all of the drain tubes were clear and routed correctly. It appears that my 'crack' idea was incorrect (although the mechanical arms have the standard cracks) and that the water was entering via a poorly aligned sunroof. I think the rain must have been leaking in through a gap, cavitating in the wind and blowing over to the inner rail on the sunroof guide. The inner rail drains into the headliner and I guess the water tracked down the outside of the drain tube and into the 'A' post before ending up on the floor.

I have now re-aligned the sunroof and blasted a hose pipe over it for a good 5 minutes whilst someone sat in the car on leak duty (prior to the liner being secured). No leaks were evident and I am hoping that that has done the trick.

I just thought I would post the update incase anyone else comes across the issue and it might be worth checking the sunroof alignment first.

Cheers.
 Andy B.  
Post #67251915th Jul 2010 9:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >