At least the D3 was driver error - but bad news for the rest
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
At least the D3 was driver error - but bad news for the rest

From another forum

Morning,

A friend just got back from 2 weeks in Botswana in his '97 Disco I TDi with over 300,000 km on the clock and no rebuild yet. BUT, while he was in Bots he had the following 3 encounters.

In Francistown he met the owner of a new Defender which had been put on a flatbed from the Caprivi to Francistown costing over R15,000. Problem: Fuel pump packed up. No available parts in SA. Apparently the fuel pump can't handle our dirty African diesel. Also said that LR won't pay for the cost of getting your vehicle home any longer - did they ever? Is this a once off? I hope so as I like that new Defender.

Outside Chobe he met a guy in a new Range Rover Sport. Rear suspension collapsed / air bag problem. He was trying to prop it up with a few logs etc. to get the rear end of the ground. Vehicle was 6 weeks old. Needless to say not impressed. He may have punctured the air bag - not impossible - so maybe not the Rangie's fault but... He met the guy again at Francistown where he was trying to get the Rangie sorted.

Met a new Disco III owner with major wheel damage. Had hit a stump in sand track with those nice low profile tyres. Amazingly the tyre seemed undamaged BUT the rim was punctured. That confirms that those fancy looking rims are NOT ideal for a bush holiday at all... Could understand if the rim was damaged but a hole right through it?

The reason that he met all these guys at LR in Francistown was that he needed to have a wheel bearing replaced for a couple of hundred bucks.....
The cheapest repair by far Wink

Hopefully these are just "one offs" but some comment would be welcome...
Especially on the new Defender. I'm hoping it's a load of nonsense.

Cheers,
David

Post #32157514th Jul 2008 10:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Which forum was this Heine?

I know LRs aren't the most reliable cars out there but I've heard the "my friend saw this..." too many times to believe most of these stories.

How can a tree stump punch a hole in the alloy yet leave the tyre intact?!!!

Post #32159814th Jul 2008 11:25 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Overland forum

Post #32165514th Jul 2008 1:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >