Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

LED caravan lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Russell

United Kingdom 
LED caravan lights

We have just placed an order for a new Swift Ellegance with LED lighting. Has anyone else towed one of these with a D4?

Does anyone know if there are any issues with the flickering light issue as reported with some D3's and LED trailer lights.

Do I need a box of tricks to stop the flickering light issue?

Any help or advise would be appreciated.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #136455527th Oct 2014 12:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

Bump anyone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #136485527th Oct 2014 8:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Russell

We have an Elegance 580 and a D3. We had to fit a Sargent VLM4 module to the caravan fusebox, without it the indicators flashed incorrectly and there was no telltale in the car. Email Sargent Electrical saying you have a D4 and they should be able to help, they should have tested this combination by now.

Post #136486627th Oct 2014 8:50 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Cheers Nick
D4 camera club 

Post #136488327th Oct 2014 9:15 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Shouldn't be an issue with a D4. My trailer has full led lights and no problems.

Post #136500428th Oct 2014 2:48 am
UffBrock

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No answer from me I'm afraid but I have also just ordered an Elegance (530) so I'm interested in the outcome.

Post #136526928th Oct 2014 5:05 pm
Washwipe

England 

Recently purchased the Elegance 570, yes you will need the box from Sargents, £35 ish, get the dealer to throw it in the deal. Without it I had no Trailer Indicator Warning Light and the Parking Sensors would still sound off when reverse selected, it's still not perfect, the Sensors still sound off in reverse should I start the engine with the drivers door open, but I can live with that, just close the door first Whistle

Post #136533328th Oct 2014 7:28 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

discoteca wrote:
Shouldn't be an issue with a D4. My trailer has full led lights and no problems.

Sorry I should have been clearer in my post. With my trailer and its LED lights the tell tail on the dash doesn't work (unless the car's side/headlights are on, then it does when indicating) and the rear PDC doesn't disable in reverse, I can live with this on the trailer. The difference between D3 and D4 is that the LED trailer/caravan lights themselves should work fine on a D4, whereas on a D3 the indicators flicker.

So I think the answer is (if you have a D4) that the lights will work fine without any further modification but if you want the dash tell tail indicator symbol to work and the rear PDC to disable then you need the Sargents box added. For a D3 you have to have the Sargents box or the indicators flicker all the time.

Post #136536628th Oct 2014 8:16 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Russell we have LED's on the new van with no issues with my previous MY12 D4 or with SWMBO's D3.
But I've not tried it yet on my new MY14 D4. Ill hook it up over the next couple of days when we go to the van and let you know Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #136536828th Oct 2014 8:28 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just picked up my new Bailey U3 Vigo with my D3 HSE 2006. Caravan has LED lights and guess what - they flicker all the time. Just waiting for Bailey to sort now.

Sad

Steve

Post #137468716th Nov 2014 11:24 pm
markiespud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Steve
I don't think it's a Bailey issue as the cause is down to the car sending a pulse down the indicator lights that sets the led's off..
I have just fitted a towing relay in the boot of the D3 that takes 20 minutes or so and sorts the problem out with my caravan/ boat trailer lights..
Mark

Post #137469416th Nov 2014 11:38 pm
maplecottage

Hi Mark - I say Bailey because they have stated that they are aware of the problem and are offering a FOC fix 😄😄

Steve

Post #137476017th Nov 2014 8:28 am
cliveaff

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have just ordered a new Bailey for delivery January.
I was very interested in this thread, so I had a look on Sargent's web site, and found this.

Some tow vehicle electrical systems may not be fully compatible with the LED road lights fitted to modern trailers and caravans, including the new range from Swift. In cases where problems are identified, an electronic control unit (VLM4) can be ordered direct from Sargent Electrical Services Limited for installation in the caravan. This unit simply plugs in-line with the 13 pin car connection cable at the rear of the caravan towing fuse box.

VLM4 units will be available from 11 April 2014. This form can be used to pre-order a unit for immediate despatch as soon as stocks arrive.

The normal price for the VLM4 is £46 but a special arrangement with Swift can provide units to verified Swift owners for a cost price of £27.40 + VAT and carriage, giving a total of £36.96.

Following continuing vehicle testing, we are producing two versions of the VLM4. VLM4-A for the majority of vehicle systems and VLM4-B for some later BMW models. Please ensure that you provide clear vehicle details below we will then select and send the appropriate unit. Due to the complexity of some vehicle systems we cannot guarantee that the VLM4 will work with all manufacturers OEM or after-market towing electrics solutions.

Please ensure ALL fields are completed. Following receipt and verification of the form we will send a PayPal payment link to the email address provided so that you can make the required £36.96 payment by PayPal or Credit / Debit Card. This part is currently only available for installation in Swift Caravans.
 Land Rover Dicovery 3. 5 Seats.
With side Steps, And rubber floor mats and rubber load space cover.
Front and Rear Mud Flaps.
Light Guards.
Engine Re-Map
Alpine Mobile Media Station. With SatNav.
Xenon head lights
Old Man Emu Suspension
Triumph Sprint RS 1050
Discovery 1 300tdi 1995 

Post #137476817th Nov 2014 8:59 am
maplecottage

This is the text from the Bailey manual - don't be quite so quick to put your hand in your pocket Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Models fitted with LED Running lights
Certain vehicles that have the bulb
failure warning lights installed may
possible experience warnings due to
the fact that the cars system is not
compatible with LED lights on towing
vehicles.
To rectify this your Bailey retailer can
obtain a switching unit to clear this
fault at no additional cost

Job done

Steve
Thumbs Up

Post #137477217th Nov 2014 9:16 am
cliveaff

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'am picking up my Bailey Unicorn Madrid, on Friday 30th.
I got in contact with my caravan dealer, about this Indicator problem, he ask me to go to the dealership to try out my lights, he has a new lighting board, as a test rig.
So he pluged it in to the car, and sure enough the indicator lights started flashing, as soon as it was pluged in.
He said he had not come across this before, and said he would get in contact with Bailey, and get back to me.
He said he has got in contact with them and as I orded the caravan before 27th November, it will be fitted free of charge, but why a cut off of the 27th?
So I'am happy about that But as the Caravan was delivered on Friday 23rd Jan, why are Bailey not doing something about this, when the caravan is being made.
Also Swift have the same problems.
 Land Rover Dicovery 3. 5 Seats.
With side Steps, And rubber floor mats and rubber load space cover.
Front and Rear Mud Flaps.
Light Guards.
Engine Re-Map
Alpine Mobile Media Station. With SatNav.
Xenon head lights
Old Man Emu Suspension
Triumph Sprint RS 1050
Discovery 1 300tdi 1995 

Post #141596928th Jan 2015 3:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >